Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Play Offs

RUREADY2ROLL

When we went up automatic couple of times i couldn't even tell you who went up out the play offs, i remember Morecambe did and crystal palace did when we romped the league but without looking,, the Parky promotion season??🤷 & the "who put the ball in the Preston net season??🤷 No idea.

7 minutes ago, Whitestar said:

When we went up automatic couple of times i couldn't even tell you who went up out the play offs, i remember Morecambe did and crystal palace did when we romped the league but without looking,, the Parky promotion season??🤷 & the "who put the ball in the Preston net season??🤷 No idea.

West Brom beat Tranmere in Preston season didnt they? I think :D

2 hours ago, SatanGreavsie said:

I make it 18 playoff matches. Anyone do them all? 

Aldershot 1 BWFC 0
BWFC 2 Aldershot 2

BWFC 1 Notts County1
Notts 2 Bolton 0

Bury 1 BWFC 1 
BWFC 1 Bury 0
Tranmere 1 BWFC 0

Wolves 2 BWFC 1 
BWFC 2 Wolves 0
Reading 3  BWFC 4

BWFC 1 Ipwich 0
Ipswich 4 BWFC3
Watford 2 BWFC 0

BWFC 2 Ipwich 2
Knight 5 BWFC 3

WBA 2 BWFC 2
BWFC 3 WBA 0
BWFC 3 Preston 0

Went to them all except the 2 at Ipswich, and Aldershot away.

53 minutes ago, Whitestar said:

Parky promo season Millwall beat Bradford in the final.  They've had wildly differing fortunes since. 

2 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

My favourite is still Preston if only because of their supreme confidence going into the match on the back of Macken and Healy's goalscoring form plus we rode our luck and the match was in the balance until the death. Don't think Moyes or Alexander have had a kind word to say about us since.

Weren't we favourites v Preston? One of the few matches I remember going to certain we were gonna win. Also remember it as a convincing win, think they only had one real chance early on

3 hours ago, SatanGreavsie said:

I make it 18 playoff matches. Anyone do them all? 

Aldershot 1 BWFC 0
BWFC 2 Aldershot 2

BWFC 1 Notts County1
Notts 2 Bolton 0

Bury 1 BWFC 1 
BWFC 1 Bury 0
Tranmere 1 BWFC 0

Wolves 2 BWFC 1 
BWFC 2 Wolves 0
Reading 3  BWFC 4

BWFC 1 Ipwich 0
Ipswich 4 BWFC3
Watford 2 BWFC 0

BWFC 2 Ipwich 2
Knight 5 BWFC 3

WBA 2 BWFC 2
BWFC 3 WBA 0
BWFC 3 Preston 0

Wont be many done them all as no more than maybe 300-400 @ Aldershot and i can think of quite a few there that night who are no longer with us 

I did them all except the Preston Final  (due to holiday )  

It's not really been touched upon but I remember our last semis in the playoffs, in particular the 1st leg away at Gary Megson's West Brom. 

We found ourselves 2-0 down and looking like we'd given ourselves a mountain to climb. Allardyce decided to bring on Frandsen as sub for a striker, and was given dogs abuse from sections of the away end. From that point we came back into it, with Frandsen scoring from the penalty spot to make it 2-2 late on. The rest as they say became history. 

The Aldershot games where in the original play off format, when the highest placed of the worse teams in the higher division joined in with promotion hopefuls from the lower division.

Was that better?  🤔 Hmmm.

• Site Supporter

Have we always had to pay for home playoff matches?

I don't remember having to, I'm sure they were always included weren't they?

Granted, it was a long time ago and I could be wrong

3 minutes ago, Whitestar said:

The Aldershot games where in the original play off format, when the highest placed of the worse teams in the higher division joined in with promotion hopefuls from the lower division.

Was that better?  🤔 Hmmm.

I quite like that format, it's used in Germany 

12 minutes ago, smeghead83 said:

It's not really been touched upon but I remember our last semis in the playoffs, in particular the 1st leg away at Gary Megson's West Brom. 

We found ourselves 2-0 down and looking like we'd given ourselves a mountain to climb. Allardyce decided to bring on Frandsen as sub for a striker, and was given dogs abuse from sections of the away end. From that point we came back into it, with Frandsen scoring from the penalty spot to make it 2-2 late on. The rest as they say became history. 

Cant remember them having no stand to the right of us. But they didn't.

6 minutes ago, barryk32 said:

Had to break this news to the wife before.

Two games and a possible Wembley trip in May.

Best get some windows washed :(

10 years ago, almost to the day, Yeovil beat Brentford in the 3rd tier playoff.

Now they've just been relegated from the National League and Brentford have a new ground and are 9th in the Prem with an outside chance of Europe. It's a funny old game.

3 hours ago, Traf said:

Yep.

Proper fan, me. 
@Marc505 is just a young upstart.

Bloody hell I think I've only done 5 of that lot!

Buzzing about being involved in these, a couple of epic ties in prospect and both options provide proper aways as well. Will be shitting it come the days of the actual games no doubt, but it's great having it to look forward to.

Edit just twigged there's two play off threads as well, need merging!

Edited by Marc505

13 minutes ago, SatanGreavsie said:

10 years ago, almost to the day, Yeovil beat Brentford in the 3rd tier playoff.

Now they've just been relegated from the National League and Brentford have a new ground and are 9th in the Prem with an outside chance of Europe. It's a funny old game.

Nice Bolton mention there at the start.

Was that after the semi where they scored in last minute in a similar vein to Watford v Leicester?  Got overshadowed by Troy Deeney.

Mad demise of Yeovil. The worst town and away day in word football by some distance. What a shit place of nothingness.

56 minutes ago, barryk32 said:

I think so. It could be the highest receipts for a match.

6 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Scunthorpe United .... start in the National League North next season 😳

Job half done. Let's see Morecambe, Doncaster, Wigan & Peterborough join them at their absolute nadir asap.

All those clubs who were ready to feed off our carcass at our lowest point.

25 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Mad demise of Yeovil. The worst town and away day in word football by some distance. What a shit place of nothingness.

That's the little known, and rapidly withdrawn, sequel to "Sound of Silence" by Simon and Garfunkel.

Went to the LC game back in 2004 and the only fond memory I have of that is having a quick natter with Dave Higson in that boozer in the housing estate a bit away from the ground. Never bumped into him again before he passed the following year.

1 minute ago, SatanGreavsie said:

That's the little known, and rapidly withdrawn, sequel to "Sound of Silence" by Simon and Garfunkel.

Went to the LC game back in 2004 and the only fond memory I have of that is having a quick natter with Dave Higson in that boozer in the housing estate a bit away from the ground. Never bumped into him again before he passed the following year.

Think we need a CD cover :)

1 hour ago, ph31 said:

Weren't we favourites v Preston? One of the few matches I remember going to certain we were gonna win. Also remember it as a convincing win, think they only had one real chance early on

From memory, Jon Macken missed a sitter either to take the lead or equalise