Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Glastonbury 2023

Zico

• Moderators
On 25/06/2023 at 09:38, Spider said:

just catching up on this now

hadn't really noticed earlier but You Could Be Mine and Sweet Child O Mine have shown is voice up a bit, but still a great show

edit

fucking hell, and on November Rain now

@Not in Crawley I'd give that next gig a miss, don't want to tarnish the memory, it's good like, he's spoiling some of them classics by not being able to hit the high notes

1 hour ago, Zico said:

just catching up on this now

hadn't really noticed earlier but You Could Be Mine and Sweet Child O Mine have shown is voice up a bit, but still a great show

edit

fucking hell, and on November Rain now

@Not in Crawley I'd give that next gig a miss, don't want to tarnish the memory, it's good like, he's spoiling some of them classics by not being able to hit the high notes

Same at Tottenham last summer - but the sound was great and I'm usually belting out the songs anyway.

Not seen everything but Sparks followed by Lizzo won Glastonbury for me.

The War on Drugs not for me I'm afraid, and one album aside I've never been moved much by Qotsa either. Kyruss - now that was a band.

24 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Same at Tottenham last summer - but the sound was great and I'm usually belting out the songs anyway.

Not seen everything but Sparks followed by Lizzo won Glastonbury for me.

The War on Drugs not for me I'm afraid, and one album aside I've never been moved much by Qotsa either. Kyruss - now that was a band.

The things with bands these days is they just aren’t your steady line-up. A lot of them just seem to be supergroups with folk jumping back and forth between various bands. I could never get my head around QOTSA - was it just one man and hired hands from one album to the next - just like NIN seems to be.

Which moves me onto bands like The Courteeners, Arctic Monkeys, etc. They are just front men with 3-4 silhouettes behind them.

Back in the day, band members were vying to be the “main man” – banter from all corners of the stage, each with an individual personality. You knew their names!

10 minutes ago, Smiley said:

The things with bands these days is they just aren’t your steady line-up. A lot of them just seem to be supergroups with folk jumping back and forth between various bands. I could never get my head around QOTSA - was it just one man and hired hands from one album to the next - just like NIN seems to be.

Which moves me onto bands like The Courteeners, Arctic Monkeys, etc. They are just front men with 3-4 silhouettes behind them.

Back in the day, band members were vying to be the “main man” – banter from all corners of the stage, each with an individual personality. You knew their names!

My Mrs could name all the NIN line ups. I mean how many members of James or the Cure can you name? The strength of songs for the deaf is that you have all these amazing talents pulling in one person's musical vision.

Matt Hedders in AM is the most talented member of the band by a long stretch.

Different bands have different personalities that work together, most bands would fail if everyone wanted their vision to be front and centre. Some work with a push and pull of two songwriters, others work better following one. I honestly don't think it's ever been that different to be honest.

Matt Hedders may be the most talented, but your average AM fan won’t know his name, and certainly won’t know the other band members names. Likewise with your Courteeners fans – its basically Liam Fray’s backing band. If all 3 of them departed next week and got replaced, nobody would bat an eyelid. Quite sad.

GNR - back in the day, everyone knew Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven/Matt. That’s just one band with many personalities. Kiss would be another great example, The Beatles, the Stones, etc.

Back in the real world.

Glad sacked off AM for Young Fathers , Sparks and Chemical Brothers who were all great.

Gave up on Pretenders as all could hear was techno in the Stonebridge, which was bad move as Leftfield would have been better than GnR and whatever the fuck Christine and the Queens has become.

Knew the rap better than Debbie Harry.

Beth Orton was chilled start to Sunday, Black Country New Road didn’t grab me.

Working Men’s club are Joy Division 5th album if Ian had a disco biscuit instead of an overdose, which was cool.

QotSA were on fire as were crowd as reaction to the Elton hype.

Saw Raye do set in bbc introducing tent after she had done Pyramid, which made lot of youngsters very excited.

Had a great day Thursday, watching some young bands in the bars. Made young singers day when told her Prima queen reminded me of Tanya Donnelly.

More random thoughts as go back over thread.

Oh, sure scousers have managed their usual tricks of jibbing in , given numbers there and any knob who had black guide ropes on tent needs castrating