Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Russell Brand

Blondi

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It's only a phrase to differentiate between traditional tv/radio/papers and modern social media.

Doesn't necessarily equate to size, or anything else.

Hardly anything for anyone to get their knickers in a twist over.

It’s not though anymore though is it?

Main stream media has now come to mean the news that is consumed by the sheeple became we’re not clever enough to see through their ‘lies’

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, mickbrown said:

Main stream media has now come to mean the news that is consumed by the sheeple became we’re not clever enough to see through their ‘lies’

Take your point, though it's fair to say that all media outlets now have agendas at times.

Inevitably that will lead to accusations one way or another.

6 hours ago, barryk32 said:

I'm an hour into this (got to take the sprog swimming).

Its a whole lot of fuck all isnt it.

"I had sex with Russell and he never rang me afterwards".  Fuck off.

He's used his celebrity status to fuck folk and they've got the hump as far as I can see.

Is he a bit of a bellend - Absolutely.

Is this the massive expose job that they claimed, is it fuck.

None of this matters of course in the UK.

Just destroy the guys career & health and then just move on the next poor bastard.

It’s just what we do.

Edited by captainmed

• Site Supporter
Just now, captainmed said:

None of this matters of course in the UK.

Just destroy the guys career & health and then just move on the next poor bastard.

It’s just what we do here. 

Sadly, on one hand we have had a number of high profile folk abuse their position. 

We also have a set of folk who seem hell bent on getting at high profile folk.

Probably been the case for a long time, but we hear about shit more readily.

This latest case; obviously we don't know the truth about it but it isn't edifying how stuff is played out in a grubby, salacious fashion.

21 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Indeed, hence my comment about people who use the phrase thinking that they're better than everybody else

12 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

This latest case; obviously we don't know the truth about it but it isn't edifying how stuff is played out in a grubby, salacious fashion.

He's fucked either way now, guilty or not. He's apparently on Twitter a lot, and it will now be his downfall. That doesn't make it right at all but the way. Sadly, in this day and age, folk are judge and jury within a matter of minutes. 

• Moderators

Just watched the dispatches documentary 

It's not a good look for him 

I'm comfortable coming to the conclusion he is a nonce 

He's similar to Jimmy Saville in that he laughed and joked about doing it, whilst doing it, almost as a distraction to the fact he was doing it 

And then interviews Saville and they make jokes about doing it

• Site Supporter
20 hours ago, Spider said:

Jimmy Savile earned millions for charity.

Folk only listened to those who spoke out when it was far too late.

I still think doing it this way rather than via the police is a minefield though.

Maybe it’s the only way to get more to talk though.

Messy. (I never had an issue with him as a bloke on the telly. Articulate if not lol funny.)

EFA

Brand is and always has been a total prick, thinks he is clever because he uses long words, but makes a twat of himself as he often uses them incorrectly.

Main Stream Media is a term used by people want to discredit someone's opinion with out resorting to actual facts and/or arguments, put it alongside 'the establishment' ' and 'the blob, terms used a lot by GB News and their trolls who have been briefed to support Brand based on every other tweet over the weekend.

Power and game corrupt and it seems Brand has got rather carried away with his and taken it too far, does that or the fact he is a prick make anymore guilty than he was for the amount of hair spray he used to wear ? Not sure it does.

The main channels got slated for ignoring Saville and get the same for reporting on Brand.  Can not win really.

Maybe the saddest thing about how this story gets 'reported' is how the usual people are on the usual sides. It is almost as though every story divides the country along the same lines. More on Twitter etc than on here. 

• Site Supporter

Trouble is Ani, the main stream media can't be relied on anymore for entirely accurate reporting, nor balanced reporting, that's why so many off shoots exist.

Your reference to GB news reporters being briefed to support him is an example of incorrect information that is splashed around and finds its way into public discourse. 

There has just been an enormous row between two of their presenters: one backing him and another the opposite. 

Like it or not, the presenters on there have to freedom to speak their mind. Some of it is absolute bollocks in my view, some isn't.

This is the very reason that trial by media is so un-nerving: there is no guarantee that the "truth" is just that, but just someone's interpretation. 

That's why we have the police and the whole legal system. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Trouble is Ani, the main stream media can't be relied on anymore for entirely accurate reporting, nor balanced reporting, that's why so many off shoots exist.

Your reference to GB news reporters being briefed to support him is an example of incorrect information that is splashed around and finds its way into public discourse. 

There has just been an enormous row between two of their presenters: one backing him and another the opposite. 

Like it or not, the presenters on there have to freedom to speak their mind. Some of it is absolute bollocks in my view, some isn't.

This is the very reason that trial by media is so un-nerving: there is no guarantee that the "truth" is just that, but just someone's interpretation. 

aluminium-foil-hat-isolated-on-white-bac

30 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

The reason why so many offshoots exsit is becauise there are so many more media platforms. These theories that are propagated have always been around but now anyone with a mic and a subscriptoon can broadcast material across the globe, and it will find a willing audience. Unregulated, not fact checked - just various opinions.

If you are saying the main stream media is traditional papers, TV channels etc - they are regulated - they can't just say anything, IPSO or Ofcom ensure that and that whilst there might be political leanings, there can't be political lies.

What boils my noodle is that so many people seem to be taken in my this 'mainsteam media conspiracy' nonsense if they don't happend to agree with a particular point of view and then seek spaces where they just hear theor own opinions looped back at them without any sort of governance. 

We'll look back on these times with incredulity that the wild west of open access was not opening up freedom of speech but an attempt at Libertarianism tryng to control the narrative.

Sorry - just to add something like the Dispatches program isn't 'trail by media' its investigative journalism. It took four years to make the programme, because you have to be that sure about the sources otherwise it is just hearsay. You couldn't broadcast the programme otherwise. Where you unerved by the watergate scandal expose by the Washington Post? or MPs expenses by the Telegraph? Its very important to have the Fourth Estate to hold a critical eye on public and polotical figures and is a vital part of any democratic country.

Edited by Not in Crawley

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

He's always struck me like he's thick as fuck but doesn't realise that and believes the opposite. There's one in every top band bottom set in every school in the country.

He’s undoubtedly an intelligent chap.

It’s one thing knowing loads of fancy words, but from what I’ve seen of him he’s sharp as a tack and able to brow beat folk with language. Not as funny as he thinks he is though which is why he ended up thinking society is controlled by the pyramids and sentient toasters or some such shite.

It’s also possible he’s a dirty rapist and borderline nonce. Or not.

That conversation he had with Savile is decidedly creepy though,

40 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

The BBC is the very definition of MSM and is despite the rumours you hear is the most impartial news service out there. Not reliant on advertisers or sponsors as much as others  

(some how my first para had gone into the quote) fat fingers !!

Not sure which GB News presenters you follow on Twitter but you can guarantee as regular as click (deliberate use of click) work when a story comes round they will all (or 99% of them) be tweeting the side they are briefed on. At least unlike the political parties (especially Tories) they have the good grace to do so in their own words rather than lifting whole paragraphs of text. 

In any debate around politics you follow the money, do you think the people pumping millions into GB News or other pretend news channels are doing so so we have a balanced reporting service ? GB News lost £30m in its first year, why is anyone funding that ? And if someone was constantly 'off message' do you think they would be paid for long ? Every newspaper is aligned politically as they are privately owned so deliver bias messages.

People say the BBC only gives one view, check out the guests on Question Time and Newsnight, shows it is bollocks. The weakness of the BBC is its lack of bite to really tackle stories rather than just report. But that is a challenge for any neutral reporting news channel.

The irony of the 'non' Main Street media pumping out 'stories' about MSM bias is plain for all to see.

• Site Supporter
On 17/09/2023 at 10:55, Underpants said:

His spiritual, mother Earth, lefty ways are absolutely not my cup of tea. But when he talks I can't help but get lured in to his rants. Even though he uses words I don't understand. In conversation he tends to beat folk down with his thesaurus like tongue. He's a motormouth version of Stephen Fry. I fully understand why folk don't like him. I think I shouldn't like him but I get dragged in to his annoying charm. I know many will call it something else.

He's been very open about his shagging, boozing and drugged up life. So Im finding these allegations all very odd.

I liked some of his early stand up, and his TV show 'Ponderland' was very funny. Just had a quick gander at his youtube channel though. Fuck me. He's definitely not a "lefty" these days.

2 minutes ago, Spider said:

He’s undoubtedly an intelligent chap.

It’s one thing knowing loads of fancy words, but from what I’ve seen of him he’s sharp as a tack and able to brow beat folk with language. Not as funny as he thinks he is though which is why he ended up thinking society is controlled by the pyramids and sentient toasters or some such shite.

It’s also possible he’s a dirty rapist and borderline nonce. Or not.

That conversation he had with Savile is decidedly creepy though,

He is no where near as clever as he thinks he is. I would have down as one of the bright ones but as you say uses language to brow beat people rather than making a meaningful argument. 
He also by his own admission had an addictive personality in that he is prone to excess and addiction ( his line 'I ruined drugs and booze by taking too much of it' is very good tbf) . Given his sex addiction and the availability of lots of seemingly willing (not saying all we're willing) women easy to see how his life descends into chaos. His female assistant who basically procured women for him talked about it being normal. When your 'normal' life gets to that place you know it ain't great. 
I am sure in that world that are many stories that could be written so I do wonder why his has become the one.