Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Charlton (a)

mattbwfc19

32 minutes ago, auckland_bwfc said:

Surely worth a punt at 1 - 1.5 mil

There are defenders currently in the Prem that I wouldn't swap for Santos - Tom Lockyer, Mads Andersen and Reece Burke.  Not saying they aren't good players, decent Championship standard, but I'd take Santos above them any day.

That's a tremendous week. Today's clean sheet provides some reassurance after recent games. 

A shame about Oxford's late equaliser as it would have been nice to break in to the top two but all bar Pompey will be very, very aware of our presence now. Oxford seem to be having a wobble. 

That away record of ours is unquestionably top two form. Those two frustrating home defeats are the difference between us and Pompey.

Shrewsbury (a) is the next league game and they had their big centre half sent off today, so presumably now suspended. Then Blackpool (h) which (as ever) the tw*ts will be massively up for.  Six points from them and our odds will shorten considerably. 

Keeping hold of Charles in January is increasingly looking like an issue we'll have to deal with. 

Just now, paulhanley said:

That's a tremendous week. Today's clean sheet provides some reassurance after recent games. 

A shame about Oxford's late equaliser as it would have been nice to break in to the top two but all bar Pompey will be very, very aware of our presence now. Oxford seem to be having a wobble. 

That away record of ours is unquestionably top two form. Those two frustrating home defeats are the difference between us and Pompey.

Shrewsbury (a) is the next league game and they had their big centre half sent off today, so presumably now suspended. Then Blackpool (h) which (as ever) the tw*ts will be massively up for.  Six points from them and our odds will shorten considerably. 

Keeping hold of Charles in January is increasingly looking like an issue we'll have to deal with. 

He’s going nowhere. 

Massive credit for the wins this week.  I think we all thought it was a pivotal week, whether happy clappers, doomsday merchants or neither one nor the other (those fans do exist).  And IMO we've gone from play off contenders to top 2 contenders in 4 days.  6 goals scored, 2 conceded in 2 tough aways, not sure when that last happened?  I think the last time we won 2 away in a week Shaun Miller scored the winner at Southend, after Arthur had scored the winner at Mansfield!

We've scored 19 goals in the 1st half this season and only Pompey have even scored as many as 13. 

9 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

I'm happy with Oxford's equaliser, Wycombe very much contenders and we've made 7 points on them in a week.  And 7 points on Oxford too.  

Could also say the difference between us and Pompey is Reading away.  If the H-T scores had stood, we'd be top with a game in hand.  Massive credit to their manager for the run they're on though.

I've personally got no concerns about Charles going, just don't see him as championship quality, like most of our squad.  Its not a criticism, but if we were in the championship we'd need better.

36 minutes ago, woolli said:

Correct. Morley is good against footballing teams, when the going gets tough against physical teams, Morley goes missing. Today is not to be critical, yes, should have been more goals, but, all in all great win.

Thought Maghoma was better both in defence and going forward. Made a couple of short passes today which will improve with playing time, but was surprised when he put his foot in and won a few tackles - didn't know he had it in him. Has the ability to ghost past players and has great feet. George continues to improve too and looks great playing further forward in what is probably Dempsey's preferred role. Seems like a few players have hit form at the same time and we have good options for any situation. Rico had a couple of dodgy moments but made up for them with some commanding defending. Only JDB and ET seemed a bit off.

All in all they did a decent job of quelling my HT nerves and if we'd only put away one of those second half chances I'd have an even more comfortable afternoon.

11 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I've personally got no concerns about Charles going, just don't see him as championship quality, like most of our squad.  Its not a criticism, but if we were in the championship we'd need better.

I agree on both counts.

Just look at Sheffield Wednesday for concrete proof of that.

Anyway let’s worry about that at a later date and enjoy tonight.

Edited by captainmed

2 minutes ago, captainmed said:

I agree on both counts.

Just look at Sheffield Wednesday for concrete proof of that.

Yes although Ipswich are the total opposite so far!  I can't work out how Ipswich are doing so well, they were no better than the other 2 that went up for me.  Great credit to their manager Kieran McKenna, what a signing he was from Man U.

But yes the championship, with the odd exception, requires a different skill set than L1, I'm struggling to think which team would improve their forward line if they signed Charles, its a different level for pace, strength and finishing.

13 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Thought Maghoma was better both in defence and going forward. Made a couple of short passes today which will improve with playing time, but was surprised when he put his foot in and won a few tackles - didn't know he had it in him. Has the ability to ghost past players and has great feet. George continues to improve too and looks great playing further forward in what is probably Dempsey's preferred role. Seems like a few players have hit form at the same time and we have good options for any situation. Rico had a couple of dodgy moments but made up for them with some commanding defending. Only JDB and ET seemed a bit off.

All in all they did a decent job of quelling my HT nerves and if we'd only put away one of those second half chances I'd have an even more comfortable afternoon.

I only watched the 2nd half but JDB looked fine to me, put a shift in and held it up well.  Good to see him involved again, and he's a certain starter next week.

17 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'm happy with Oxford's equaliser, Wycombe very much contenders and we've made 7 points on them in a week.  And 7 points on Oxford too.  

Could also say the difference between us and Pompey is Reading away.  If the H-T scores had stood, we'd be top with a game in hand.  Massive credit to their manager for the run they're on though.

The problem is replacing Charles will cost money. Weve already spunked a million away on Vic, Dan and Jerome, not sure if Sharon can afford to get the cheque book out again.

11 minutes ago, woolli said:

The problem is replacing Charles will cost money. Weve already spunked a million away on Vic, Dan and Jerome, not sure if Sharon can afford to get the cheque book out again.

We'd need a seven figure fee up front and to reinvest most if not all of it. Difficulties arise if the bid comes in on 31 Jan.

Anyway (my fault) this is dampening the mood and for another day!