Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Stockport EFL Trophy

freds dad

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, tomski said:

Admire everyone’s optimism and effort but this is still something I’d rather go out of next round. It is a tinpot cup.

Yes I enjoyed the final like everyone else, but even that if we made it would be half hearted so soon after last year. 

This became a distraction last season and we all want promotion this time. I’d be fuming at another season in L1 if it had anything to do with Bristol motors glory.

I think theirs a reason this cup hasn’t been retained.

I agree

A lot less motivation to win it this year for me personally.

But it is a catch 22 situation from game to game in this comp though.

In retrospect last nights game (and the previous ones) have all gone really well and brought about some real positives

- Kept a winning run going 

- Confidence booster 

- Kept players fresh with game time during international break 

- Allowed squad players to make a claim

- 1500 fans celebrating a local win 

- Youth team lads making debuts and being around 1st team squad.

It's one of those where it's great until its not! But to be fair injuries can be as easily picked up in training as in a game. 

So as long as Evatt keeps managing it the way he has, understanding which players benefit from games like this, then I'm happy to keep winning and progressing. But I won't be that disappointed if we go out. 

Just now, desperado said:

I agree

A lot less motivation to win it this year for me personally.

But it is a catch 22 situation from game to game in this comp though.

In retrospect last nights game (and the previous ones) have all gone really well and brought about some real positives

- Kept a winning run going 

- Confidence booster 

- Kept players fresh with game time during international break 

- Allowed squad players to make a claim

- 1500 fans celebrating a local win 

- Youth team lads making debuts and being around 1st team squad.

It's one of those where it's great until its not! But to be fair injuries can be as easily picked up in training as in a game. 

So as long as Evatt keeps managing it the way he has, understanding which players benefit from games like this, then I'm happy to keep winning and progressing. But I won't be that disappointed if we go out. 

Yep I do enjoy winning every match at the mo and if manageable id like to do for as long as possible. 

58 minutes ago, L/H White said:

whilst I agree it's 'tinpot' due to the u21 teams in it

but we also need to realise where we are and what our level is

it's realistically the only chance of user ever lifting a trophy and a good day out at wembley 

Agreed. We should want to win things. We aren’t going to win the FA CUP so this is as good as it gets for us. 

regarding Nlundulu his confidence is obviously shot. He’s been clean through at Port Vale and last night but turned round both times. 

is there a route for him to play a bit for the B team to try and get him scoring ? 

agree it’s good for him to play last night but it is worrying how he doesn’t seem to take these chances. He can’t be just shit as you don’t make it to professional level if you are. 

2 minutes ago, Big E said:

regarding Nlundulu his confidence is obviously shot. He’s been clean through at Port Vale and last night but turned round both times. 

He’s not a proper frontline striker. Simple as that. But it does beg the question of well what is he? 

his return at Cheltenham in 18 months was shite but everyone put it down to the fact they didn’t create much. Whilst their other fella got nearly 30 in that time. 

1 goal for us in the 5 months we had him last year (granted he was injured for a period) but there were never instances where you thought he should score or was in a position to do so. 

this season, exactly the same. He’s not even in the position to miss guilt edged chances. He doesn’t run in behind, doesn’t play on the defenders shoulder, isn’t a target man. He “presses” and runs the channels from time to time but that’s about it. 

when the defensive side of your striker is more obvious than the attacking side there’s serious questions to be asked 

The problem is that Dan has all the abilities, you can clearly see that but maybe he just doesn’t have that killer instinct that good strikers have and if that’s the case it’s going to be tough to change. Evatt’s still got two and half years to work on him but can the team afford that?

1 minute ago, Whitesince63 said:

The problem is that Dan has all the abilities, you can clearly see that but maybe he just doesn’t have that killer instinct that good strikers have and if that’s the case it’s going to be tough to change. Evatt’s still got two and half years to work on him but can the team afford that?

i'm sorry, he doesn't 

17 minutes ago, Big E said:

Unfortunately he’s simply not good enough as he has shown on many occasions now when given a chance.

He hasn’t even been able to score against both Non-League or League 1 opposition. Unfortunately those are the harsh facts

Look we’re all extremely happy with the recent run and we’re playing well and looking good which is fantastic. We all want that. 

Surely though if we’re not allowed to say anything about a player is simply not up to it then what is the point of a football forum? 

It’s clearly not a lack of effort, it’s ability and confidence. 

2 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

I actually think it's lack of ability that's the problem. His touch is worse than you see in most amateurs.

Having said that he is fast and willing and could possibly do a job wide in a front 3, but we don't play wingers so I just don't see how he fits in any way

I can't remember the exact figure, but I'm sure we amassed 2/3 million for getting all the way to the final, winning it, sponsorship money, TV exposure and also the 35,000+ tickets we sold along with all the Wembley merchandise. 

Add a couple more in January and keep firing in all comps, allow the fringe players to come in want to do well and grab the shirts.

I do agree on the fixture congestion, all these frigging postponements have been a piss take.

Also agree on the toll Wembley last year took, there's no doubt it affected our league form somewhat.

However should we return back to Wembley this year, I think it would be much less of a deal having already done it last year. I think there was such a pressure to get to Wembley last year, Evatt himself said that. This year it could be just the icing on a promotion cake.

I doubt it will be as distracting as it was last year.

We could just drop out in the next round, but I believe there is a number of benefits there for grabs and as reiterated by somebody earlier, it's our best chance of winning a trophy again. 

Edited by Lostock Whites

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

You can’t have opinions on here

closed shop at times 

We pretty much all share the view that he's not cutting it.

Can't accept that the comments used to describe him are necessary. It's abusive at times, and that's not helpful for one of our players.

I agree with others that perhaps his confidence is low, but therehave been a couple of instances recently whereby he's set scorers up. If he continues to do that then that's not a bad thing.

I'm not sure he will be an out and out goal scorer as he doesn't appear to possess the instinctive movement, but then again Kevin Davies wasn't a big goal scorer. 

If he can continue to do that (provide assists) then we may well have someone useful to come on.

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket

If we are in the position of Plymouth, i.e. likely to go up automatically then I would love another trip to Wembley almost as a free hit. Win great, lose, were still getting promoted.

If we were only looking at the play-offs, then I would be the other way and would be nervous as hell. Imagine winning twice in the cup, then going a third time in 12 months for a play-off final. I would be convinced we wouldn't win three on the bounce there.

Edited by JimmyRiddle

37 minutes ago, L/H White said:

i'm sorry, he doesn't 

That’s patently not true. Clearly the guys low on confidence but he’s shown more than once that he has the tools but just isn't applying them. Evatt obviously saw something in him as I do but clearly you don’t. That’s your opinion and you’re free to have it but I disagree entirely.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, gaztruman said:

Our squad is big enough and good enough to field a weakened side and still progress pretty far in the EFL trophy. if you can get through the group and next few rounds, might as well go for it again! Would be good to win it again, i'd defo go Wembley again. 

Last night's team was without a number of players, but such is the squad, it wasn't weakened significantly.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Lostock Whites said:

I can't remember the exact figure, but I'm sure we amassed 2/3 million for getting all the way to the final, winning it, sponsorship money, TV exposure and also the 35,000+ tickets we sold along with all the Wembley merchandise. 

Wouldn't have thought it was anywhere near 3 million. The total prize money was only £250k, and our Home attendances throughout the competition were shite.