Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

FA Cup 2023/24

gonzo

31 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Agree 100%  

I also think there is absolutely fuck all chance our game gets on TV, I just can't see any appeal whatsoever, to the vieiwng masses.

Wigan v Man Utd will 100% be on, and so will Arsenal v Liverpool. Other than that, probably City v Huddersfield, then take your pick, but I do suspect we'll be well down the list

Sunderland v Newcastle is nailed on to be on TV

6 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Football hooligans with painted eye patches?

The seventies were fucking odd

It was not the norm. Film had just come out and Luton were the only lot I saw.

As they piled off the train we were definitely thinking WTF - but as Bolty says, it didn’t go well for them so they probably didn’t bother again.

5 hours ago, bolty58 said:

One sided trouble from where I was standing. They took a right mauling. Those white overalls didn't take to well to claret splashes. The lad calling the shots for them was immaculate mind. Crombie, the full works - not dressed like the clowns all around him. He was cute enough to jump into a black cab near Orlando Bridge and then out the other side to try to escape up those cobbled back streets close to where the away coaches used to park. This did not end well.

Wasnt there numbers boosted by Millwall and/or West Ham fans that day ?

13 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

It was not the norm. Film had just come out and Luton were the only lot I saw.

As they piled off the train we were definitely thinking WTF - but as Bolty says, it didn’t go well for them so they probably didn’t bother again.

I just can't understand what possesses a grown adult - a football hooligan no less - to paint a fake eyepatch across their eye before going to the football

A different time

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I just can't understand what possesses a grown adult - a football hooligan no less - to paint a fake eyepatch across their eye before going to the football

A different time

Me neither, though I suppose there are plenty of social trends that folk follow, or look at and think "why?"

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, DirtySanchez said:

Who has lost their job over one wrong 'word'?

Four of my former colleagues were sacked after a joke sent on WhatsApp was used against them. The joke used the N-word and they were sacked for not doing anything about the original sender. HR insisted they ought to have brought it to the attention of HR Dept.

39 minutes ago, captainmed said:

You want names?

Ask your mate from Millwall. 

I dont know if my mate from Millwall knows and to be honest it's not a level of conversation we go to 

I can't imagine shouting fuck, bollocks or similar gets you in trouble to the extent that you'd be in trouble of losing your job

7 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Four of my former colleagues were sacked after a joke sent on WhatsApp was used against them. The joke used the N-word and they were sacked for not doing anything about the original sender. HR insisted they ought to have brought it to the attention of HR Dept.

None of which happened at a football match and someone went running to the stewards, which was the original point 

They are also stupid 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

A different time

Would Rather do that than pay hundreds for a coat with built in goggles

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Zico said:

The folk who have lost their job tend to get caught on camera hurling racist abuse at a player or fan as though it's ok 

More often than not, not a case of using the wrong word at all 

You're right, though similar standards aren't applied all over. Discussion on that is best saved for another thread though 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, DirtySanchez said:

None of which happened at a football match and someone went running to the stewards, which was the original point 

They are also stupid 

You didn’t mention “at a football match” in your question. 

• Members
12 hours ago, bwfc2003 said:

Wasnt there numbers boosted by Millwall and/or West Ham fans that day ?

I didn't hear that about the Luton game but definitely the Chelsea game when they ran across the pitch. Can't 100% confirm West Ham were involved but Millwall definitely were.

As I have said before, Millwall had Bolton and (inexplicably) Preston on a pedestal as 'intimidating places to go and the only places we ever got a proper slap'. Source - my mad mate from The Treatment (one of the funniest blokes I have ever met. An absolute gem).

• Members
12 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

A different time

It's quite simple. Not for us by the way, we were the predecessors of the casuals. We went to games in Shermans, Sta Prest, Fred Perry, Royals etc. so the clown outfits were definitely not for us.

Assume it was an early 'look at me' attention seeking exercise. If seeking attention was their goal it certainly worked. Kids wore punk get ups with swastika's safety pins and dysentery slacks at a later date. Same goal - an attempt to shock/outrage.

They must have been enticed by 'a little ultra violence'. It would likely have been the last time they did it.

• Site Supporter
20 hours ago, DirtySanchez said:

You knew full well the point 

You’re assuming I did. You’re wrong in that assumption. I saw you’d asked who ever heard of someone getting sacked for one word. I responded.