Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Joey Barton

royal white

On 02/03/2024 at 09:35, gonzo said:

I also said yesterday I don't care about what barton says. I care about what Darren Lewis is saying.

Im not daft, Im quite aware there is unconscious bias against ethnic minorities across society. And there are much wider issues.

But Im saying theres not a chance in hell that Dwight Yorke, Sol Campbell or any other black manager, arent getting work in football becasue they are black.

Its actually naive and narrow minded to think so. 

Football is probably the most diverse sport on the planet. Theres no fucking chance a chairman is turning down a good applicant because they are black.

Are the numbers making a concern for want of a better word? Not when you look at the percentage of black players across the football league pyramid which im sure is 30+%. Not bad for a minority race in a predominantly white country.

I say they are making it an issue when its not and trying to tap into other areas of concern for their own agenda.

Like I say, if they were good enough theyd be in jobs. Absolute fact.

If we are going on numbers, the question is why are so few black folk applying for the jobs in the first place?

Thats a question for those that dont. 

Those numbers have fuck all to do with the list of high profile black folk who have applied and cant get a job. 

They are playing the victim because they aren't good enough.

That's a long post to blame things on two people.

I agree with your fourth paragraph and to that I would say why?

2 hours ago, gonzo said:

Watching Carragher and Henry disect the Manc derby here. Brilliant viewing.

Not a patch on Faye Carruthers and Alex Scott mind.

The thing is both Carragher and Neville are so bias punditry goes out of the window. So is that bad to have women commenting on the sport than someone who is totally one eyed ? 

Micah Richards is fucking tiresome and when the three of them are screeching together they are like..... well a bunch of women.

Not seen Carragher on the goal Scousers scored at Forest, did he gloss over it ? 

Carragher has an encyclopedic knowledge of football.  

Neville is extremely intelligent. 

Richards is very charismatic. 

They are all good pundits, but for different reasons as is Roy Keane. 

8 hours ago, Ani said:

The thing is both Carragher and Neville are so bias punditry goes out of the window. So is that bad to have women commenting on the sport than someone who is totally one eyed ? 

Micah Richards is fucking tiresome and when the three of them are screeching together they are like..... well a bunch of women.

Not seen Carragher on the goal Scousers scored at Forest, did he gloss over it ? 

Do you actually watch and listen to Carragher? Hes bloody brilliant, his knowledge and insight is the best out there. His MNF stuff and CL stuff on TNT is brilliant.

Agree he should never co-coms Liverpool.

I think Neville knows his onions too, great ok co-comms, again probably not on United games.

Micah Richards comes across a funny guy to me. Not very insightful like but suppose hes a ratings winner.

36 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Do you actually watch and listen to Carragher? Hes bloody brilliant, his knowledge and insight is the best out there. His MNF stuff and CL stuff on TNT is brilliant.

I think Neville knows his onions too, great ok co-comms, again probably not on United games.

Micah Richards comes across a funny guy to me. Not very insightful like but suppose hes a ratings winner.

Agree when they are not doing their own clubs but they seem to squeeze it in every week. 
Again agree on Richards and he is on everything there is only so many times you can hear a man screech.

I do listen to Carragher when he is on without Richards , he is much better when he focuses on being a total football nerd rather than trying to be a 'character'. 

I find most pundits pointless ( I did see Henry and Carragher do the city game on Monday and it was very good) my point is that if Joey calls out everytime a woman makes a bland pointless statement but ignores it every  time a bloke does it undermines his point. I was away for our game at Pompey this year so watched in a bar, the ex pro white male commentator said 'both teams would like to score the first goal' - No Shit Sherlock. 

Dion Dublins punditry is so dull he ruins Home Under the Hammer. 

They should more coaches as well as ex players as pundits as they tend to have a lot more insight, but the good ones are likely to be busy coaching I suppose. 

1 hour ago, Ani said:

Agree when they are not doing their own clubs but they seem to squeeze it in every week. 
Again agree on Richards and he is on everything there is only so many times you can hear a man screech.

I do listen to Carragher when he is on without Richards , he is much better when he focuses on being a total football nerd rather than trying to be a 'character'. 

I find most pundits pointless ( I did see Henry and Carragher do the city game on Monday and it was very good) my point is that if Joey calls out everytime a woman makes a bland pointless statement but ignores it every  time a bloke does it undermines his point. I was away for our game at Pompey this year so watched in a bar, the ex pro white male commentator said 'both teams would like to score the first goal' - No Shit Sherlock. 

Dion Dublins punditry is so dull he ruins Home Under the Hammer. 

They should more coaches as well as ex players as pundits as they tend to have a lot more insight, but the good ones are likely to be busy coaching I suppose. 

Joey has called plenty of the blokes out to tbf

• Members
12 hours ago, captainmed said:

Carragher has an encyclopedic knowledge of football.  

Neville is extremely intelligent. 

Richards is very charismatic. 

They are all good pundits, but for different reasons as is Roy Keane. 

Neville and Carragher are the only ones I enjoy listening to. Knowledgeable and not afraid to express an opinion. First rate pundits IMO.

Not keen on either as players - as good as they were. 

6 hours ago, gonzo said:

Sent you a PM the other day re tickets 👍🏻

Anyway, away from the slightly odd culture war anti-woke witterings of Barton, this looks like a good and interesting development: 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/mar/05/mps-want-more-womens-football-boots-to-be-made-and-sold-amid-acl-injuries

One of our lot broke their arm in a tackle this weekend, bloody Sittingbourne! Anyway, big quarter final cup clash against Petts Wood on Sunday.

• Site Supporter
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Anyway, away from the slightly odd culture war anti-woke witterings of Barton, this looks like a good and interesting development: 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/mar/05/mps-want-more-womens-football-boots-to-be-made-and-sold-amid-acl-injuries

One of our lot broke their arm in a tackle this weekend, bloody Sittingbourne! Anyway, big quarter final cup clash against Petts Wood on Sunday.

Must admit, despite being involved in girls football for years, I’ve never even considered that, probably because it was just kids all treated the same ,so trip to decathlon for the finest( and also cheapest) Kipsta did the trick . 

the lads, at around 10 all insisted on the same as messi et al , so  were wearing more expensive ones , whereas the daughter never bothered ( possibly because having no equivalent role model ) , and has always liked the kipsta ones to be fair ,but now she’s 15 possibly something I need to look with more detail , not just which brand . 

Edited by fatolive
Spelling

9 minutes ago, fatolive said:

Must admit, despite being involved in girls football for years, I’ve never even considered that, probably because it was just kids all treated the same ,so trip to decathlon for the finest( and also cheapest) Kipsta did the trick . 

the lads, at around 10 all insisted on the same as messi et al , so  were wearing more expensive ones , whereas the daughter never bothered ( possibly because having no equivalent role model ) , and has always liked the kipsta ones to be fair ,but now she’s 15 possibly something I need to look with more detail , not just which brand . 

Yeah - mine has a pair of gold Nikes- the flash git!

9 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Do they not get injured more because they're weaker? 💣

6 hours ago, Traf said:

Do they not get injured more because they're weaker? 💣

😉Without wanting to repeat myself, there was a link earlier with possible causes of ACL injuries.

As for young lady breaking her arm, I put this down to the thugs from Sittingbourne not being able to cope with the refined elegance of the skillful passing from their Cantabrian (no, not the Spanish ones) counterparts. 

45 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Not knowing much about it, is there an actual physical difference in these boots or is it just a colourways/design thing?

Not sure if it’s the shape/width of the foot. Again, possibly support for the arches, but there should be a description in the boot itself. Pretty sure it’s not just aesthetic 

12 minutes ago, jayjayoghani said:

There was an article I read linking vulnerability to ACL injuries with peak oestrogen levels I.e.when woman are ovulating. 

Yeah - posting this again - it shows there's a load of factors that could be contributing but as the women's game is still relativley new, doesn't have the funding at younger age groups which could lead to injuries later in the career then there will still be more research needed to be done, but the concern is that whilst ''There is no doubt that hormonal influences on ligament laxity and a higher preponderance for valgus (knock knee) lower limb alignment puts the average biologically female player on the back foot. In women’s football the majority (88%) of injuries are non-contact, and are associated in two-thirds of cases with defensive pressing7. It is a horizontal movement (rapid deceleration), not a vertical movement (landing), combined with single leg loading and a change of direction, that is the mechanism of ACL injury.....that the gendered environment has a greater part to play than originally thought5. This refers to the fact that within societal norms, there are factors that contribute to their higher risk. These include environmental elements such as the fact that women’s football boots are smaller versions of those designed for men, rather than women’s specific. Female athletes are more likely to play on poorer quality pitches, with less qualified coaches. In elite youth football development boys are signed to Professional Academies from under 9 and enter the Premier League’s Elite Player Performance Plan (EPPP). The EPPP provides access to strength and conditioning coaches and injury surveillance and management, together with a recognised games and education programme designed to create the next generation of home grown male footballers. There is no such system for girls until over the age of 12 and even then it is underfunded and impoverished compared with the boys programme. A recent study of injuries in women’s football suggests that increased match load on players, a significant problem in the elite game, and lack of regular exposure to high-speed football actions during training lead to a higher rate of injuries8.''

https://www.boa.ac.uk/resource/how-to-tackle-the-increased-rate-of-acl-injuries-in-women-s-football.html

On a slightly different note my grandson plays rugby for Leigh Miners U8's, last Sunday one of the kids went down injured and everyone though he had dislocated his knee, his dad carried him off saying "he'll be reet" turns out he has broke his leg

• Site Supporter
39 minutes ago, athywhite1958 said:

On a slightly different note my grandson plays rugby for Leigh Miners U8's, last Sunday one of the kids went down injured and everyone though he had dislocated his knee, his dad carried him off saying "he'll be reet" turns out he has broke his leg

I once did that with my lad. He was at a friend’s birthday party at Premier 5s and went in goal. Following a great save he cried about his arm hurting. I told him not to be so soft. 4 hours after getting home MrsD said maybe we ought to take him to A&E…

Oops! 

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

I once did that with my lad. He was at a friend’s birthday party at Premier 5s and went in goal. Following a great save he cried about his arm hurting. I told him not to be so soft. 4 hours after getting home MrsD said maybe we ought to take him to A&E…

Oops! 

it's easy done mate 😲😁