Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wigan Athletic (A)

Leyther_Matt

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, Stig said:

That was nothing like the Man City Speed game. We created very little last night, and the XG shows that. Potshots from distance aren't creating chances. The only thing we dominated is possession around our back 5.

He didn't say last night was like that City game ffs.

44 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

For me, while we are good enough to beat plenty just by having better players, we have a weakness of being far too predictable especially against smash & grab teams.

We've no striker with a physical presence like them 2 at Charlton, Colby Bishop, Lee Gregory last season etc.

No midfielder who will drive at a packed defence like Frandsen used to. They must still exist.

We also need defenders who value the art of defending more than the art of fannying around. Forester and a fit Johnson can do this, not sure about the rest.

Not calling for Evatts head, not by a long way but there are 23 styles to play against, we have to be able to mix it up better

This encapsulates where we’re at. Evatt sadly doesn’t want to mix it up and that’s a massive blind spot, league one teams can chose to sit deep when they know we’re not going back to front quickly, the best teams do mix it up, Evatt has signed players to play one way and on nights like last night we fall short. 

2 hours ago, Cheese said:

It is categorically wrong to say we "created nothing", otherwise we would have had zero shots and zero corners. I'm not implying anything beyond that.

Jesus... what a tedious argument. You know exactly what people mean. Rico Santos having a shot blocked 30 yards from goal counts on your stats but is absolutely not creating something.

• Site Supporter
Just now, Tombwfc said:

Jesus... what a tedious argument. You know exactly what people mean. Rico Santos having a shot blocked 30 yards from goal counts on your stats but is absolutely not creating something.

Fuck me. Never mind.

It's all been said but in my mind we lost because of individual errors notably the appalling defending for their goal and the plethora of poor crosses and passes that killed dead the occasional ponderous momentum we had going forward

Tactically, I can accept that we are obsessed with possession - and something could be done about risking the ball a bit more at their end of the park to try to get it to the forwards before their defence is set - but a good start would be to put more focus on marking/tracking/defending properly.

It's ironic that our entire defence - including the goalie - seems more focused on playing the ball around and probing for attacking opportunities than ensuring we don't give away cheap goals i.e. their primary role. And the midfielders/WBs seem more focused on retaining possession than looking for the quick killer pass that sets up the strikers so invariably pass it backwards rather than risk losing possession. I don't mind if we lose it at the top end of the park well away from our goal if we're trying to create - in fact letting the opposition have the ball in their half and forcing them to be creative with it and commit players forward is possibly the only way that gaps will appear in their defence if you get my drift.

For me, we're trying to be attack-minded and to control the game, but in doing so we're giving the opposition far too much time to organise their defence and leaving ourselves wide open to the counter.

Evatt just needs to get them to move it forward quicker and take more risks with the ball in the final third - whilst the defence needs to defend instead of trying to be Beckenbauer all day long. And everyone needs to play better.

2 minutes ago, Cheese said:

He didn't say last night was like that City game ffs.

Eh? That's exactly what he said - "Not too dissimilar from the Man City game"

My counter point is that "was completely dissimilar from the Man City game".

The chances we “created” were speculative at best. Let’s not kid ourselves on that it was like the fucking Alamo and we’ve all walked away scratching our heads as to how we didn’t score. 

we had what, 70% possession? And without looking at a heat map I’d say a good 65% of that was in the 3rd of the pitch that doesn’t matter. Around the half way line and up to their 18 yard box. 

there were zero decent chances let alone clear cut. Non. The approach is so one dimensional it’s untrue. String passes across the pitch in front of them. Oh that’s not worked then let’s go the other way.. then when it does finally reach a position where it can be delivered that delivery is either piss poor or they don’t want to risk it, come back out and the whole process starts again. 

we’ve got 5 front men and 4 of them look absolutely toothless. The common denominator is either non of them are any good or they aren’t getting the opportunities 

• Members

Just seen the goal back.

Fuck me, it really is primary school stuff.

Dacres-Cogley, Sheehan and Thomason are all fast asleep ... but Jones is most at fault, just comes charging our from CB into no-man's land and  creates a huge gap for Humphrys to run into.

If ever there was a perfect example of how not to defend as a unit then that was it.

But also to add, given how much of the ball we had all night, one defensive fuck-up shouldn't mean we lose that game.  We are just so easy to defend against.  We move it that slowly we give their defence ample time to pack the edge of the box and given we don't have De Bruyne and Haaland playing for us, we just don't have the quality to thread the ball through and/or find the space and finish it.

4 minutes ago, Tombwfc said:

I was going to pick up on this too but didn't want to bite with Cheese's usual pointless wind ups. But will back you up here Tom as I thought your XG post was a good response to someone trying to use stats to say we created good chances.

We're not grasping at fucking stats now are we? 🤣

We'll have better 'stats' in most games. Peptards

Most knew what was going to happen yesterday and it happened

Slightest bit of adversity with these minges and they go in their shell

Did well before the goal?

Do well when it matters 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Whitesince63 said:

Cheese, those stats just confirm the problem surely? They had two shots on target scored one and Coleman made a terrific save for the other. I think putting those up just illustrates what everyone’s saying but you just don’t want to accept it as usual.

Read what I wrote above the stats.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, deeane Koontz said:

We're not grasping at fucking stats now are we? 🤣

We'll have better 'stats' in most games. Peptards

Most knew what was going to happen yesterday and it happened

Slightest bit of adversity with these minges and they go in their shell

Did well before the goal?

Do well when it matters 

Is xG not a "stat"?

1 minute ago, barrycowdrill said:

The chances we “created” were speculative at best. Let’s not kid ourselves on that it was like the fucking Alamo and we’ve all walked away scratching our heads as to how we didn’t score.

we’ve got 5 front men and 4 of them look absolutely toothless. The common denominator is either non of them are any good or they aren’t getting the opportunities 

I'm not "scratching my head as to how we didn't score". The forwards didn't get the opportunities. We were so slow in the build up that the few crosses that actually arrived were into a box packed with defenders and the few through balls to run on to were not good enough, too late or overhit like Sheehan's dink to try to connect with George's run.

1 on 1s with the goalie? Zero

Headers from crosses/set pieces? 3 two of which were were very difficult whilst being challenged and Toal's effort which he got under.

Crosses to feet in space with a shooting opportunity? Zero anywhere near goal.

When Santos is having a dig despite having a scrum of bodies in front of him from 25 yards you can smell the desperation.

I said I would comment win, lose or draw and I will. My game isn't to gloat either and its a one off post. The way we play at home was exactly on show last night ...it fucking infuriates most of us but we sit back , allow the opposition uncontested ball and say what you got ? Well the answer will not be popular with you but it's very little. Your play is excellent and very tidy to watch but it is hurting nobody and honestly I thought we had better chances in a 5 minute spell than you had all night. Ridiculous decision to take that lad off who looked excellent. 

Can you go up ?...ofcourse you can but you need to sharpen up and go for the throat with a bit of urgency and you'll be reet, but fanny around with all the possession and it only takes 1 mistake and, well you know. We have nothing to play for and could be stuck in this piss poor league for years so may not play you again for years but when we meet again I'll have a catch up in the run up to it ( that's if I'm still drawing breath ).

Good luck and bon voyage.

• Members
1 minute ago, Rubberkex said:

Your play is excellent and very tidy to watch but it is hurting nobody and honestly I thought we had better chances in a 5 minute spell than you had all night.

The lad is right.

6 minutes ago, Rubberkex said:

I said I would comment win, lose or draw and I will. My game isn't to gloat either and its a one off post. The way we play at home was exactly on show last night ...it fucking infuriates most of us but we sit back , allow the opposition uncontested ball and say what you got ? Well the answer will not be popular with you but it's very little. Your play is excellent and very tidy to watch but it is hurting nobody and honestly I thought we had better chances in a 5 minute spell than you had all night. Ridiculous decision to take that lad off who looked excellent. 

Can you go up ?...ofcourse you can but you need to sharpen up and go for the throat with a bit of urgency and you'll be reet, but fanny around with all the possession and it only takes 1 mistake and, well you know. We have nothing to play for and could be stuck in this piss poor league for years so may not play you again for years but when we meet again I'll have a catch up in the run up to it ( that's if I'm still drawing breath ).

Cheese will disagree with you.

For the next 4 years.

• Members
15 minutes ago, Rubberkex said:

Good post

16 minutes ago, Rubberkex said:

Good comments that reflect the feelings of many BWFC fans.

15 minutes ago, Rubberkex said:

Fair play and fair comments.

The idea we dominated the game is nonsense, we had a lot of possession but hardly threatened, Wigans game plan (as you say must be awful to watch week in week out) allowed us possession and we lacked the brains to do anything. 

Taking Sheehan off seemed strange and certainly did not work. Collins looks a million miles of the pace (should that 700k miles off the pace). 

The handbags at the end was pathetic on both sides, it felt like a few of yours will use this result to hide your overall season and a few of ours to hide the last 5-6 weeks. Equally the over reaction from some of our fans is a sight to behold as is the acceptance by seemingly equal numbers the other way. 

30 minutes ago, Rubberkex said:

Spot on , some on here think you actually were forced onto the defensive !

• Moderators

According to Google's match stats last night we had 69% possession

Against Exeter we had 67%  

To totally dominate a game you have to put dominate the final third and create chances 

We just didn't do that last night 

I did think if we kept it up we'd get one 

But then they scored 

Then we crumbled 

And did things like Jerome on for Sheehan 

I think we're going to start seeing plenty changes game by game now till it clicks 

9 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

But Barnsley play shit football apparently 

I didn't think Barnsley were as alehouse as previously, lost some players and new manager tweaked things a bit. I thought they were more open and gave us more space than last season, we didn't exploit it. Their scope for shithousing was less also with the tweaks in rules. 

Luton supposedly played that brand of football in getting up, they are making the best fist of staying in the Prem by some way.