Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

ReeBok Atmosphere

Krimzon

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, MickyD said:

Certainly last time we played there (FACup) the atmosphere was very poor.

That New Year Day game when Nolan scored, it was the quietest set of home fans I’d heard all season

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, desperado said:

That New Year Day game when Nolan scored, it was the quietest set of home fans I’d heard all season

Oh, I thought the last time was when Bogdan had a blinder; so much so that Liverpool bought him. (And then played him twice and loaned him out a lot)

• Site Supporter
24 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Oh, I thought the last time was when Bogdan had a blinder; so much so that Liverpool bought him. (And then played him twice and loaned him out a lot)

Sorry misunderstanding. I wasn’t correcting you. That cup game was the last time. I was just adding another occasion when the famous Anfield and their passionate fans were as quiet as mice.

Let’s be honest most British football fans are the same, big game, bad decision, taking on a rival, packed with fellow away fans, key/great goals etc we can all be as loud and as passionate as anyone.

Any deviation from the above tends to lead to a malaise, even at your so called big clubs.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, desperado said:

That's because it was new years day 

But anyway 

Nobody has a rocking home atmosphere every week 

Nobody

Not in this country anyway

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, L/H White said:

Apart from anfield, most home atmospheres are dire 

That forced crap at palace is terrible 

I sat in the Kop with a couple of Liverpool Season Ticket holders I used to be acquainted with, when we played them on New Years Day 2007. One of their group couldn't make it and I couldn't get a ticket in our end, so I took the chance. They scored 3 in the second half, but apart from 'You'll Never Walk Alone' before kick off, the atmosphere was shite. My "mates" outed me as a Bolton fan in the first minute but thankfully nobody gave a fuck.

Another thing I noted - the lads I was with were born and bred in Preston, but as soon as we entered the stadium they suddenly started speaking with scouse accents. It was bizarre. Also saw Diouf arriving at the stadium in his massive Range Rover with spinning hubcaps. He got absolute dogs abuse.

1 hour ago, Cheese said:

I sat in the Kop with a couple of Liverpool Season Ticket holders I used to be acquainted with, when we played them on New Years Day 2007. One of their group couldn't make it and I couldn't get a ticket in our end, so I took the chance. They scored 3 in the second half, but apart from 'You'll Never Walk Alone' before kick off, the atmosphere was shite. My "mates" outed me as a Bolton fan in the first minute but thankfully nobody gave a fuck.

Another thing I noted - the lads I was with were born and bred in Preston, but as soon as we entered the stadium they suddenly started speaking with scouse accents. It was bizarre. Also saw Diouf arriving at the stadium in his massive Range Rover with spinning hubcaps. He got absolute dogs abuse.

european nights are spine tingling 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, L/H White said:

european nights are spine tingling 

I'm sure every fan of a club competing in the Champions League would say exactly the same.

Away from the match analysis today, what a good atmosphere Pride Park can generate. I'm not saying the Derby fans were on it all match, because there was definitely a 15-20 min spell both halves where we quietened them down by playing well, but once they were on the front foot and especially after they scored it was bouncing.

Crowding away fans into a corner really helps with that, they had 2 walls of fans to drown out away noise when they were up for it. Not sure how we solve that with the Reebok design like, but interesting anyway I thought 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Stig said:

Away from the match analysis today, what a good atmosphere Pride Park can generate. I'm not saying the Derby fans were on it all match, because there was definitely a 15-20 min spell both halves where we quietened them down by playing well, but once they were on the front foot and especially after they scored it was bouncing.

Crowding away fans into a corner really helps with that, they had 2 walls of fans to drown out away noise when they were up for it. Not sure how we solve that with the Reebok design like, but interesting anyway I thought 

Fuck ‘em, we were way louder than them.

• 4 weeks later...

Well that was one of the best atmospheres I've heard at the Reebok for years. Tops the Barnsley play offs last year in my opinion where Barnsley's anti football sucked the life out of the game and the fans eventually.

Common factors are obviously playing significant games and away fans turning out in numbers, which we can't influence.

But one thing we can is the set up of the stadium and I think the half and half split of south stand works best as opposed to an upper tier for away, bottom tier for home. And to entice fans there I'd do the lower tier of south as the safe standing area (wrapping round into 3 blocks of ESL). 

It may just mean fans move from other areas but having 4 stands with fans does seem better for atmosphere.

One other point - pre game music has improved loads, but I don't think the Wanderer is ideal walk out music, you don't belt it out when singing along.

25 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Wouldn't have looked out of place in the Premier League that yesterday.

Brilliant atmosphere.

To think we had wallys wanting to give pompey the whole end 🙈

Was late getting there yesterday, it was 1450 when I walked up the steps into seats. The noise when I entered the stadium was electric it just hit you. Was helped by the away fans . If we do go up and get 20k plus crowds with the bigger away followings that can only help our performances even more .

• Site Supporter
20 hours ago, Stig said:

One other point - pre game music has improved loads, but I don't think the Wanderer is ideal walk out music, you don't belt it out when singing along.

How about coming up with an alternative? Something that is iconic and Boltonian.

Nothing too cheesy like almost all of the “here’s my song about Bolton Wanderers” we hear. Nothing from the ‘Houghton Weavers”

We need a song which every person in the crowd will know ‘our’ words to. Think Delilah at Stoke, Annie’s Song (You fill up my senses) at Sheffield United.

Neither are particularly great songs but when it’s being sung by 20k+ crowds it becomes goosebump stuff.

I think maybe the nearest we’ve had is ‘Is This The Way To Amarillo?’ but El Hadji Diouf no longer plays for us, let alone spits at folk!

On 14/04/2024 at 13:55, Stig said:

There was a vote a few weeks ago and this came out with a massive majority, so it's not wandering off any time soon

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Gonk said:

There was a vote a few weeks ago and this came out with a massive majority, so it's not wandering off any time soon

It's utter fucking shite as a walk-on song. It only won because it's got the word 'Wanderer' in it. Should've just stuck with the Kasabian one.

9 hours ago, Cheese said:

It's utter fucking shite as a walk-on song. It only won because it's got the word 'Wanderer' in it. Should've just stuck with the Kasabian one.

Especially when the lyrics are actually about a fella slagging about on plenty of fish :D

12 hours ago, Gonk said:

21 hours ago, MickyD said:

How about coming up with an alternative? Something that is iconic and Boltonian.

Nothing too cheesy like almost all of the “here’s my song about Bolton Wanderers” we hear. Nothing from the ‘Houghton Weavers”

We need a song which every person in the crowd will know ‘our’ words to. Think Delilah at Stoke, Annie’s Song (You fill up my senses) at Sheffield United.

Neither are particularly great songs but when it’s being sung by 20k+ crowds it becomes goosebump stuff.

I think maybe the nearest we’ve had is ‘Is This The Way To Amarillo?’ but El Hadji Diouf no longer plays for us, let alone spits at folk!

Yeah, I think the vote might have gone for the Wanderer after the feel good factor of singing it at Wembley following the win, but something we can all belt out like at Sheffield Utd or even the "hi ho x" would be better for the atmosphere. Unfortunately I have no solutions to this, just pointing out problems 😂 

Correction: after seeing the highlights the Wanderer is not the walk out music as I said earlier (The walk out is carnival de Paris which works really well). It's the song immediately before kick off while the players are doing final warm ups and about to kick off. 

Needs to be a unique and tongue in cheek chant that will catch on with all sides of the arena.

Back in the 70s (hear me out) the Swan cellar had a niche clientele and they would always play "Back in the night" by Dr Feelgood, now they had no Bolton connection but its a great bouncy song and the whole of the Swan used to chant "I'm a sausage roll, I'm a sausage roll" during the chorus. Trust me it was infectious and would deffo be a unique cult thing at BWFC.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Whitestar said:

Needs to be a unique and tongue in cheek chant that will catch on with all sides of the arena.

Back in the 70s (hear me out) the Swan cellar had a niche clientele and they would always play "Back in the night" by Dr Feelgood, now they had no Bolton connection but its a great bouncy song and the whole of the Swan used to chant "I'm a sausage roll, I'm a sausage roll" during the chorus. Trust me it was infectious and would deffo be a unique cult thing at BWFC.

Sounds great.