Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pompey (H)

Ani

Feels no better this morning… the worry is Barnsley & Peterborough been taking it easy while we’ve been going full tilt, my gut says we beat anyone in the play offs but that nagging doubt about our ability to somehow lose from winnable positions is causing me concern.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Feels no better this morning… the worry is Barnsley & Peterborough been taking it easy while we’ve been going full tilt, my gut says we beat anyone in the play offs but that nagging doubt about our ability to somehow lose from winnable positions is causing me concern.

It will be a roller coaster ride; we should be over the line already but we can go up through the playoffs. Still not given up automatic yet but if Derby blow it now they don’t deserve to go up; Cambridge and Carlisle are both not going to lie down for Derby so we have to win our games.

3 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Certainly frustrating,  after the 5-0 loss yesterday I feel the last game against us would have been a dead rubber for them and would of seem them resting or rotating key players for the play offs . But that obviously meant us winning a  consecutive number of  games which we haven't done for a good while . 

3 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

No guarantees in the playoffs if that’s where end up, but with the spine of the team pretty much back in place and the way we are playing I’d be confident of getting the job done.

1 minute ago, onefinfrandsen said:

No guarantees in the playoffs if that’s where end up, but with the spine of the team pretty much back in place and the way we are playing I’d be confident of getting the job done.

So would I if it wasn’t for the unfortunate knack we have of shooting our selves in the knackers. 

5 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

I've a funny feeling we will end up with Barnsley if has looks likely we end up in the play offs

They don’t seem a happy camp, form has plummeted, fans getting on the managers back. Different to last year when they were the form team and unlucky against Wednesday in the final

3 minutes ago, onefinfrandsen said:

They don’t seem a happy camp, form has plummeted, fans getting on the managers back. Different to last year when they were the form team and unlucky against Wednesday in the final

Directly after playing us to be honest , they are shithouses though and games against them have always seemed to be tight 

32 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Pleased for Santos

It was so obvious yesterday that he had a personal point to prove.

I don’t buy into all oa f it about Yengi destroying him at Fratton Park, it was a good battle and he definitely gave him more of a game than most but he also got away with murder from a weak ref.

Yesterday Santos absolutely toyed with him, he didn’t get a sniff. My biggest criticism of Santos is that he plays like the game’s too easy and often looks like he’s just had a pre-game joint. He’s a L1 Van-Dijk, looks like a rolls Royce when it’s going well, but it looks pedestrian when he’s off it. I wouldn’t mind him having that criticism about every personal battle with a striker before every game because when he’s got that point to prove he’s an absolute machine. Santos of yesterday’s second half IS the best defender in the league, he just needs to find that mentality when there isn’t a personal agenda to get him going.

We're still in this. Cambridge still fighting relegation on a small pokey ground could at least ground out a draw with Derby. I'm sure we will win our next two home games which would mean having to win the final game at Peterborough who will be saving themselves for the playoffs. 

3 minutes ago, noxid said:

We're still in this. Cambridge still fighting relegation on a small pokey ground could at least ground out a draw with Derby. I'm sure we will win our next two home games which would mean having to win the final game at Peterborough who will be saving themselves for the playoffs. 

Agreed, let’s pile the pressure back on derby. Win our next two and then it’s over to you kachunga 

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, Stig said:

That game yesterday summed up our season and why we aren't top 2, when we absolutely should be. 3 main reasons:

Formation - the 532 gives good "control" of a game, but a well executed 433 is so much more effective. You end up with wingers having the chances when a mistake happens (as per Kamara from Pompey) rather than wing backs, so you make the most of opportunities. Everyone can see how many good opportunities we're wasting despite playing well.

Tactics - the obsession with playing around at the back all the time is killing us. Teams just press hard and we will inevitably make a mistake. Their goal today came from a throw in for us on the half way line. 1 miscontrol by Ogbeta and their winger is going through 1 on 1 with Toal. Ridiculous. Just throw the ball forward - basic stuff you teach kids. And the other issue playing all the football in our half is all the fouls end up being yellows for us and just free kicks for them. Play the football in the opposition half and those yellow card stats change the other way round

Mentality - not a dig at us yesterday, but Pompey showed us what a winning mentality should look like. We had them properly under the cosh and they didn't wilt at any point. We would have shat ourselves in the same position getting dominated away from home, as seen all season. Needs a few more leaders in the team.

For me they're the 3 things stopping us being top 2. Very frustrating as the squad is the best in the league, and on our day we're the best team in the league.

If I'd have responded to this yesterday, my angry/emotional/pissed up response would have been dismissively condescending.

And it shouldn't do because it's a well thought out opinion, which I'll take the time out to respond to.

But it does come across as someone who thinks they have the upper hand on Evatt, the solutions to any problems we may encounter and a definitive tick-box summary of "what's stopping us"

It's not that simple, so it's hard for football fans to argue/counter argue with limited coaching knowledge, but I suspect 4-3-3 has a whole host of defensive limitations. Worked great getting us out of L2, but encountered problems with it in L1. Players have been recruited with our current formation in mind. It's developed and evolved to put us in the best position we've been in for 3 seasons.

The coaching team have talked extensively about tactics, fluidity, playing with a possession based attacking style. Throwing the ball backwards is part of this and is usually an effective way of us keeping hold of the ball to go on to create chances, it's happened a lot this season to good effect. It's risk vs reward which is an effective part of the way we play.

The best example of countering your mentality claim, is directly related to this example. Ogbete showed great mental strength to come back from his mistake. He never shied away from receiving the ball, he took on attackers to great effect in his own half and created our first goal. I think this epitomises, along with Santos, Maghoma, Collins (other players who've been questioned), how mentally strong our players actually are. 

I just think it's really easy to claim what the problems/answers are as a fan without truly understanding the methodology of coaching/managing professionally. 

And that's not to naively suggest we have no problems and can't be better, of course we can but I trust FV, Evatt and his team to know how to do this better than someone on a fans forum.

That game shouldn't be being highlighted for the reasons we aren't top 2. More celebrated for the fact we matched/bettered the champions, have players who are in great form, have players who have answered the critics, players who are back hungry from injury, to get us promoted playing the brand of football that has been so good to watch these last 4 seasons. 

1 hour ago, radcliffe white said:

If Oxford beat Lincoln Tuesday be near enough impossible 

Donkey lashers at home to Barnsley next week. 

They could get in instead of them.

Please god no.

I'd rather Barnsley over 2 legs than them.

45 minutes ago, desperado said:

It's not that simple, so it's hard for football fans to argue/counter argue with limited coaching knowledge, but I suspect 4-3-3 has a whole host of defensive limitations.

Yeh because 4-3-3 had a host of defensive limitations for Sam Allardyce at the near top of the Premier League. With players like Nicky Hunt who had to drop to league 2 to play regularly after us.

Nothing against Nicky btw he's a nice bloke irl still lives locally too.

Edited by Zog1
-

Still games to play yet and anything can happen this is why we love football. 
As for the play offs not worrying who we get whoever we play we can beat them over 2 legs if we play our A game. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Zog1 said:

Yeh because 4-3-3 had a host of defensive limitations for Sam Allardyce at the near top of the Premier League. With players like Nicky Hunt who had to drop to league 2 to play regularly after us.

A completely incomparable situation on so many levels.

Premier league budgets, premier league (world class) players, different style, different philosophy, different manager, different era, different teams, different systems, different set-up.

The list could go on and on to disprove this analogy 

2 minutes ago, desperado said:

A completely incomparable situation on so many levels.

Premier league budgets, premier league (world class) players, different style, different philosophy, different manager, different era, different teams, different systems, different set-up.

The list could go on and on to disprove this analogy 

My point is that our system gets the worst out of a good team. I have some faith in FV but I think IE is out of his league.

• Site Supporter
Just now, Zog1 said:

My point is that our system gets the worst out of a good team. I have some faith in FV but I think IE is out of his league.

Doesn’t surprise me that you think this way.

14 minutes ago, Zog1 said:

. I have some faith in FV but I think IE is out of his league.

I agree with you. Again his team shipped in an early goal in a big match.In all 6 matches against Derby, Barnsley and Portsmouth this seasin Bolton conceded the first goal.It's too easy to score against Evatt teams, he dorsn't have them organsied to defend as well as a good manager should

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Again his team shipped in an early goal in a big match

Yet yesterday we showed the quality, attitude and mentality to get back into the game, take control and create the best chances.

That’s addressing the things you’ve been poor at, that’s accepting things haven’t gone to plan in the past, that’s progress isn’t it?