Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pompey (H)

Ani

2 hours ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

I agree with you. Again his team shipped in an early goal in a big match.In all 6 matches against Derby, Barnsley and Portsmouth this seasin Bolton conceded the first goal.It's too easy to score against Evatt teams, he dorsn't have them organsied to defend as well as a good manager should

If we're counting Barnsley as a big game, Peterboro would have to included too given they are above them.  So make that 7 😀 (Clarke Harris header).

The positive is we equalised in all 4 home games and didn't lose any, which to me feels like an improvement on previous seasons.  Its the away form that hasn't improved yet (against the better sides).

Can't be arsed to read through it all but there seems to be a lot of blame flying around - Bod, Evatt, Toal, Baxter blah blah blah.

We shouldn't have conceded early doors but if anyone is to blame for that it's Sheehan for giving it away/hospital pass that left Toal isolated and as much as he tried to show him the outside he wouldn't go there, took a dip and Baxter was static. We couldn't score more than one but we hit the post twice and had loads of efforts blocked.

But we shouldn't have been in the position of having to win in the first place.

If we don't go up, it's not because we drew with champions at home - it's because we dropped stupid points earlier in the season with some very lacklustre performances against lesser teams than Portsmouth.

If we'd played like we did yesterday throughout the season we'd be champions because Evatt's team is good enough quality wise. Unfortunately we've been too lazy, too cocky and not focused enough in the past and it's cost us.

15 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

There are no stats that tell us how many points we would have got with the same fixtures if Vic played, or how many points we'd have dropped if Bod had played instead of Vic in 1st half of season.  All guesswork.

The fixtures have got harder - so obvious, not sure why I'm repeating it.  The points per game in the first half or 2 thirds of the season was never a true reflection, given our record against the better sides, who we had hardly played at that stage.

And with Vic hardly playing, we've got the longest unbeaten home run now since god knows when, that's not a dig at him, but makes a mockery of us struggling without him, we've also started scoring more.  Yes, less away points, but not comparing like with like.  Some disappointing performances of course, same as 1st half of season, without the embarrassing Wigan/Carlisle type defeats.  

FWIW I was as disappointed as anyone with Bod's miss in 2nd half and he didn't have a great game.  I do think he's lost a bit of zest and I'd have no problem with Charles starting on Tuesday in his place.

Absolutely. I think you and I have been two of the loudest banging the drum for Bod to get more game time from the start of the season.

But even then our arguments were to rotate him more with Vic and Charles, rather than always on the bench. Same applies now Charles is back fit - if he's ready I'd give Bod a break and play Charles and Collins on Tuesday. Similar to you I thought Bod was ok yesterday, but looked a bit jaded (and the miss was a shocker!) so rotation freshens up the attack and avoids injuries.

I can't help but think the lack of rotation for Charles and Vic earlier in the season may have contributed to their injuries.

• Site Supporter
42 minutes ago, matty2094 said:

VAR and that’s a red. The fact a fourth official is 10m away and can’t see that’s a 2 footed lunge is shite.

Far worse than Thomason’s at Northampton.

Just when we needed a decent ref, we, yet again, ended up with a shocker. He got so many decisions wrong.

Belting day yesterday. Great performance and atmosphere. One of those days that make all the midweek slogs in shite weather absolutely worth it.

It's a shame we've fallen short. Pompey are a great yardstick for where we should be and what we should be aiming for ie getting a point when you've been under the cosh.

I'm fairly certain we have to do it the hard way now. No one to fear, just our inability to win away games v the top sides but then a draw in the 1st leg will do, if we play as well at home as we did yesterday. 

KTF

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Big E said:

Close. Sadly it’s only one. That entire Wigan team get fired up

Seems a strange thing to comment about, after one of the most passionate displays from fans and players in recent times.

Just because a Wigan knob head has gone flying in uncontrolled with two feet. That happens with Thomason and we’re on here calling him deranged with fireworks in his pants.  

4 minutes ago, desperado said:

Seems a strange thing to comment about, after one of the most passionate displays from fans and players in recent times.

Just because a Wigan knob head has gone flying in uncontrolled with two feet. That happens with Thomason and we’re on here calling him deranged with fireworks in his pants.  

If we had players playing with that passion we would be up by now.

yesterday we did well but again fell short. Now we are in the lottery of the play offs. 

Happy for progress but people say week in week out we are the better team so I think it’s fine to think we should have been in an automatic slot 

7 minutes ago, Big E said:

yesterday we did well but again fell short. Now we are in the lottery of the play offs. 

Happy for progress but people say week in week out we are the better team so I think it’s fine to think we should have been in an automatic slot 

Aye, being the better side 8/9 times out of 10 regardless of who you’re playing counts for very little at the end of it when you’re only 3rd best overall. 

I was really confident about the play offs yesterday, and rightly so. However the more I think about them I realised it’s not just about how good you can be. It’s about bottle, digging in, keeping calm, taking your chances when they present themselves and not allowing previous experiences scar you. It did dent my confidence a little 🤣

Just now, barrycowdrill said:

Aye, being the better side 8/9 times out of 10 regardless of who you’re playing counts for very little at the end of it when you’re only 3rd best overall. 

I was really confident about the play offs yesterday, and rightly so. However the more I think about them I realised it’s not just about how good you can be. It’s about bottle, digging in, keeping calm, taking your chances when they present themselves and not allowing previous experiences scar you. It did dent my confidence a little 🤣

I just keep thinking about Santos blaming folk and not firing the team up at Stevenage. Utter shite leadership. Chips are down so was he 

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, Big E said:

It’s a bit scattergun this pal. We’ve gone from a scumbags challenge to this being the basis for why we aren’t in the top two! 

Of course we can talk about deficiencies in previous games and why that may have lead to where we are. 

But yesterday, the reason for us not winning was nothing to do with: no passion, weak mentality, shit players, poor management. 

There were missed chances. Those missed chances don’t become goals if we had players playing with more passion.

Perform like we have last 3 games, with all our squad in tact, we’ll go up

2 minutes ago, desperado said:

It’s a bit scattergun this pal. We’ve gone from a scumbags challenge to this being the basis for why we aren’t in the top two! 

Of course we can talk about deficiencies in previous games and why that may have lead to where we are. 

But yesterday, the reason for us not winning was nothing to do with: no passion, weak mentality, shit players, poor management. 

There were missed chances. Those missed chances don’t become goals if we had players playing with more passion.

I think it’s just the reality and frustration. 

yes it was good yesterday but we also let them take control at the start by backing off. 

similar to folk saying the ref had a stinker. I thought he was ok. Not too much wrong either.

keep Collins on with Charles we win that game. That’s not having a go at Jerome either. Would just have left Collins on

• Members
8 minutes ago, desperado said:

For what it's worth, I didn't read his comment as referring solely to yesterday's match

10 minutes ago, Big E said:

I think it’s just the reality and frustration. 

yes it was good yesterday but we also let them take control at the start by backing off. 

similar to folk saying the ref had a stinker. I thought he was ok. Not too much wrong either.

keep Collins on with Charles we win that game. That’s not having a go at Jerome either. Would just have left Collins on

I don't think we let them take control at all.  Ogbeta fell asleep and it only takes one slip against a player like Kamara.

Agree on Collins like.

2 minutes ago, gonzo said:

I don't think we let them take control at all.  Ogbeta fell asleep and it only takes one slip against a player like Kamara.

Agree on Collins like.

Ogbeta was off the pace yesterday. Shame as he’s been good