Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Ralph Gubbins

Piemon

I'm very good mates with his grandson and have had the pleasure of meeting Ralph a lot of times. The man was a true gent and from what I've heard a very decent player to go with it. Like others have said, to score the 2 goals to send us to the final and then step down for Lofthouse shows what a true team player he was.

My mates just been round and brought Ralph's scrapbook round for me to see, there's some brilliant photo's and articles and some really interesting individual pieces, I could have spent hours looking at it.

RIP to a brilliant man who provided a lot of people with memories that will stay with them forever.

So we loose another of "The Boys of 58" I know we can't stop time, but when ever we have to say goodbye to one of these all time greats it really is like loosing a blood family member, Ralph was a Wanderer through and through, never needed to be hob knobing in the corporate suites, you would always see him outside the stadium, talking to the older fans, giving them all the time in the world, he was one of the only ex players who never put on an ounce in weight, I had a great chat with him at Nat's funeral, he was in great shape, as Nat always said "if you kick one of us, we all limp" such was the team spirit which lasted a lifetime, that great team is all too soon reforming up there, I know Roy and Malcolm are not in the best of health, we are fast running out of our TRUE legends

Rest in Eternal peace Ralph Grayham Gubbins and thank you for a your service to our proud team, and your service in the R.A.F. I know your with Eddie Hoppy, Big John, Ray, Brian, and Nat now, get your boots shined up theres reds to be battered.....

Love and the best of wishes to all your family

Steve and The Los Angeles Whites

I kinda missed this last week.

Ralph walked past me in town not that long ago, with his wife, looked very happy indeed ? I had no idea he was poorly. I was on the phone so couldn't stop to say hello (piss poor, I know).

Back in the early 90s when I was working at Airtours, Ralph came to work in the Marketing Dept as a temp (presume he gone on to work in PR after his football career finished).

I remember one of the girls walking in and telling me there was this Bolton legend working in the office next door. I rattled my head to think who it was, but was clueless. I knew nothing of his part in the '58 semi. By the end of the month I was fully up-to-speed as I made countless detours to his desk to listen to him regale his stories. He was such a good, caring, approachable person. All of the girls described him as being "the kind of old guy you'd love to have as your grandad".

RIP Ralph. Thanks for all the stories.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.