Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Reebok's Debut V Everton And Today

Didledee

Do you honestly think officials give a fuck about the errors they make or whether it's fair or not? Do they fuck,

It's not about how people feel, it's about a person getting help, they may not care, but players and fans do and they matter far more than officials, give help and cancel out errors by humans, if they don't like it, then tell them to swallow their pride and not be embarrassed about their instinct/decision being aided by technology, you don't go to prison for not giving a goal, but it could be the difference between relegation and survival, is it fair to just rely on human decisions when something that gives the fair result could easily be implemented.

Problem is will it be at every stadium, will it eventually make it's way to grass roots etc, I doubt it'll be on a park with sunday league p[layers for example, so I guess the professional game will be different to what fans do when they have a game.

It's not about how people feel, it's about a person getting help, they may not care, but players and fans do and they matter far more than officials, give help and cancel out errors by humans, if they don't like it, then tell them to swallow their pride and not be embarrassed about their instinct/decision being aided by technology, you don't go to prison for not giving a goal, but it could be the difference between relegation and survival, is it fair to just rely on human decisions when something that gives the fair result could easily be implemented.

Problem is will it be at every stadium, will it eventually make it's way to grass roots etc, I doubt it'll be on a park with sunday league p[layers for example, so I guess the professional game will be different to what fans do when they have a game.

ok technology in cricket, a bloke given out lbw, team appeals they first check was the ball legit. So by same logic in todays game when goal comes from a corner you would check if the corner was legit, it was nt so no goal and restart from a goal kick.

If the logic for technology it is quick and makes the game fair why would nt you use it

I see your point Ani, but it's a different sport and a logic that hasn't really been asked for, just like offside tech, at this time, goal line technology is what is wanted, not by all, but it's the biggest ask when it comes to technology being used in football. It's not like football doesn't use technology already, it's just the first step in making the game 'fairer'

I understand it could take away human error which causes moments of controversy and talking points and that other areas will no doubt be asked for once the go ahead is official, for now all I want and the reason I've shared my opinion on this thread is goal line technology, not interested about different phases of a decision, just if it was over the line or not.

If FIFA say no, which I don't think they will anymore, I won't lose any sleep, but when a goal isn't given again unfairly then I'll again think "why is it not in place" the F.A want it, I see it being discussed a lot, bring it in and give the correct decisions in the area what matters most in football and that's the net. If people want corner, offside, freekick or throwi-n tech, they will no doubt make their voices heard, them areas for me are less important than the goal area, yes they are included in the phases/build up of goals, but not the main focus atm imo.

Edited by Didledee

The use of technology in the likes of cricket & tennis is easy because there are natural breaks in the game. Even in rugby, the game has already stopped when there are checks to see if a try is legit.

In football there is more of a flow to the game & keeping stopping it would be boring , & no doubt goal line technology would only be the first step....penalty decisions next ?, sendings off ?, offsides ?..the game would never get going.

• Members

Seems I disagree with most then. The money in the game these days and the financial implications of relegation mean that goal line technology must be introduced in my opinion. Not offside, corner, free kick etc - just goal line technology.

To suggest that this would lead to calls for other decisions like offside to be reviewed may be correct. So what? A firm no. Simple.

This 'flow' nonsense is bollocks. Would take a matter of seconds to review what? Possibly one or two a game maximum? A minute at most. Teams piss away a lot more than that trying to burn the clock so this argument is a complete furphy.

Has to happen and the sooner the better.

• Site Supporter

It's a no from me

With cricket, rugby etc. human error is removed entirely. With football, that doubt would still remain with the fact it wasn't a corner today being a perfect example.

I don't think you can have JUST glt.

All or nothing. I say nothing.

Play on, you fucking tarts.

It is really quite simple, take away the human element, errors and all, and you have lost the game forever

The game was lost years ago, the minute TV replays, match analysis & punditry in retrospect of after the facts replays started undermining the human error that some are banging on about, the officials & respect that they controlled flew out the window.

They don't ref the game anymore, the dicks in the studio in the aftermath with their technology, now ref how football is officiated, so technology can only help to rebalance the situation IMO

Shit happens

That's football

Technology is a shit idea IMO

Agreed, there'd be no talking points, no controversy! No watercooler moments at work!

It'll end up bein officiated from a ref in a room who relays his/her decision to an official on a pitch who just carries out the orders IMO

• Site Supporter

Here's the best way of dealing with this:

Lose all the tv money from the game by losing all the cameras. If you lose all the cameras there will not be the opportunity for all and sundry to analise every kick and every mistake made on the pitch. It'll be like going back to the 1980s.

That's all tongue firmly in cheek. Our problem is, while the tv companies are pulling the strings with the FA, we suffer all the analysis.

Seems I disagree with most then. The money in the game these days and the financial implications of relegation mean that goal line technology must be introduced in my opinion. Not offside, corner, free kick etc - just goal line technology.

To suggest that this would lead to calls for other decisions like offside to be reviewed may be correct. So what? A firm no. Simple.

This 'flow' nonsense is bollocks. Would take a matter of seconds to review what? Possibly one or two a game maximum? A minute at most. Teams piss away a lot more than that trying to burn the clock so this argument is a complete furphy.

I nearly agree but lets assume as per your suggestion we only have goal line technology, a ball comes in a player handles it before shooting, and then it goes in off the bar, linesman does nt give it but technology says goal. Is this now a goal ?

do not review every corner, throw in, free kick etc but you have to be able to review the incident and everything involved.

By following your argument that GLT should be the only review allowed & taking yesterday's game as an example,..the GLT would have allowed QPR'S non-goal & they would have scored 2, but you would be ignoring the clear camera evidence that it wasn't a corner in the first place & the evidence that their goal that counted was clearly offside, so in fact they should have scored none.

I don't see how you can pick & choose which technology & evidence you're going to use.....it's either all or none, & if you choose all ,it's going to damage the game as a spectacle.

By following your argument that GLT should be the only review allowed & taking yesterday's game as an example,..the GLT would have allowed QPR'S non-goal & they would have scored 2, but you would be ignoring the clear camera evidence that it wasn't a corner in the first place & the evidence that their goal that counted was clearly offside, so in fact they should have scored none.

I don't see how you can pick & choose which technology & evidence you're going to use.....it's either all or none, & if you choose all ,it's going to damage the game as a spectacle.

I agree with all of this.

It does seem strange in this day & age not to have goal line technology but it will open a can of worms.

• Moderators

I had a similar view to the lino and hadn't got a clue, Bogdan was behind the line but was all the ball? No idea!

The problem is the game is on TV, seconds later everyone knows it's a goal. You can't blame the lino as Ryo and Bogdan blocked his view. Another lino on the other side should help.

Don't care about the time, it could be instant like ice hockey.

I just don't like it.

1st goal line then what?

Offsides?

Free kicks?

Throw ins?

It's bollocks

22 men, 3 officials, a ball and some green stuff is just fine IMO.

Players make mistakes, officials make mistakes, just deal with it.

The game is evolving and GLT is on its way in the Premier League.

As for the other decisions the following rules could be applied:

Each team should get three reviews per game (like they sort of do per set in tennis).

They can choose whichever incident they want to stop the game and have a review by TV cameras.

If successful the game rewinds to the incident and the decision is reversed.

Once used up they cannot use reviews any more.

If a review shows that the incident was correctly called by the referee the team cannot call for any more reviews.

Each time a review is called for there is a big hooter sounded like the rugby league one.

All teams will have a 'review analyst' sat watching the game ready to call for a review.

If they get too many wrong they will be down the road.

Good ones could win teams valuable points and will become celebrities.

I had a similar view to the lino and hadn't got a clue, Bogdan was behind the line but was all the ball? No idea!

The problem is the game is on TV, seconds later everyone knows it's a goal. You can't blame the lino as Ryo and Bogdan blocked his view. Another lino on the other side should help.

good point carlos, you know where we sit and we all thought the ball must have been over the line but you actually could not see it.

also on motd they should it in real time that was slowed down ffs

• Moderators

I nearly agree but lets assume as per your suggestion we only have goal line technology, a ball comes in a player handles it before shooting, and then it goes in off the bar, linesman does nt give it but technology says goal. Is this now a goal ?

The technology tells you it crossed the line, not that it was a legit goal

Even the commentator on MOTD said "Oh its hit the bar", he didnt even see the save Bogdan made.

The game is evolving and GLT is on its way in the Premier League.

As for the other decisions the following rules could be applied:

Each team should get three reviews per game (like they sort of do per set in tennis).

They can choose whichever incident they want to stop the game and have a review by TV cameras.

If successful the game rewinds to the incident and the decision is reversed.

Once used up they cannot use reviews any more.

If a review shows that the incident was correctly called by the referee the team cannot call for any more reviews.

Each time a review is called for there is a big hooter sounded like the rugby league one.

All teams will have a 'review analyst' sat watching the game ready to call for a review.

If they get too many wrong they will be down the road.

Good ones could win teams valuable points and will become celebrities.

They have a similar system in the NFL it often takes 5-10 mins and they still can't over turn or confirm the decision. That's a sport with plenty of breaks in it could you imagine that in the footy?

How often do you get decisions poured over by pundits with multi angle slow motion replays and they still can't decide if the refs decision was correct.

They have a similar system in the NFL it often takes 5-10 mins and they still can't over turn or confirm the decision. That's a sport with plenty of breaks in it could you imagine that in the footy?

How often do you get decisions poured over by pundits with multi angle slow motion replays and they still can't decide if the refs decision was correct.

Yes, it was a sort of tongue in cheek post but I do think something along those lines will be brought in to the PL.