Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Would Legalising Cannabis Save The Uk Economy?

CAPSLOCKCOLIN

I see that Uruguay have taken the first step in nationwide legalisation of the plant. The Dutch scrapped plans to narrow sales down to only residents of the Netherlands, as crime rose massively as a result. You can also buy the stuff in several US states now, and acceptance of marijuana is gathering pace worldwide. 

Don't get me wrong, I can't see it ever happening in this country. People here don't like change and are terrified of the unknown. We still only vote in major numbers for two political parties, both of which disappoint. Lib Dems did the discuss the idea of legalising it when it was a Class C; not that they'll ever be in power. When it was a Class C, it's widely believed that usage went down as people didn't take it as seriously and didn't feel like they were being 'rebels'. Hell, every top professor that the government puts in charge to research drugs inevitably gets sacked for telling the truth. It's less harmful than cigarettes and alcohol, and that is fact.

Let's say you can only buy it in coffeeshops like you can in Amsterdam:- 

* It would create thousands of jobs for people

* The government could tax the shit out of it; they're making fuck all currently and spending millions on policing to attempt to eradicate it. Let's be honest, who hasn't tried it over here? No matter the men in charge do, it's widely available everywhere in the UK and always will be

* Dealers would struggle to make money and perhaps actually get jobs, thus pay tax. Crime would also decrease as a result with dealer robberies etc. that go on currently

* The government can control the strength, preventing super strength weed that's around these days

* We would make a lot of money thanks to tourism

* Less harmful than cigs and beer

Yes, there's hundreds cons. Perhaps dealers would start selling more hardcore stuff to make their cash, people might become lazy, (though I doubt many more people would smoke it than those who do illegally already), some believe that it increases the chance of schizophrenia, the theory that it's a 'gateway drug'. But for most, there are very little side effects.

I await your no doubt dismissive responses.

TIL NEXT TIME

CAPSLOCK COLIN

• Moderators

Let's say you can only buy it in coffeeshops like you can in Amsterdam:- 

* The government could tax the shit out of it; they're making fuck all currently and spending millions on policing to attempt to eradicate it. Let's be honest, who hasn't tried it over here? No matter the men in charge do, it's widely available everywhere in the UK and always will be
* Dealers would struggle to make money and perhaps actually get jobs, thus pay tax. Crime would also decrease as a result with dealer robberies etc. that go on currently
* The government can control the strength, preventing super strength weed that's around these days

everything you said there would keep people going to dealers for the good stuff at the right price

personally, I'd rather buy a bag and sit at home watching/talking shit, then have to go and sit in public, and then have to make my way home

bringing to coffee shops and that, IMO, would just mean those who are curious could nip in somewhere, try it and have a laugh every now and again

• Members

Legalize all Drugs Immediately 

Probably typed at least half in jest but:-

- Would vastly reduce crime

- Government could control supply amount

- Government could control purity and help avoid some deaths and/or serious medical treatment requirements

- Would it mean we'd need less police and save a shit load of public purse money?

Worth thought but I can't see 'the authorities' going for it.

In an ideal society where everyone is responsible for their own actions I can see the benefits of legalisation.

Unfortunately the uk seems to have more than its fair share of irresponsible people who would blame the state for whatever their excesses cause - I.e. our current obesity, alcohol, smoking problems

Also you can't really count "it will mean less crime" as a reason to decriminalise something- that is a bit of a given, you could decriminalise theft and make the same argument

I've said before on here,but if someone invented alcohol now it would be deemed that dangerous it would be given a class triple A status and held in a 'higher' esteem than heroin and crack put together.

Give me a club full of recreational drug takers over a pub full of drunk folk anyday of the week.

As for legalising canabis? Doesn't make the slightest bit of difference to those that already smoke it...it's as easy to get hold of than a warbies toasty loaf.

Legalising it would get more people smoking it,depends if thought of that happening outweighs the forecable drop in acsosiated crime.

One thing the government and anyone else must remember....

You will never,ever stop people wanting to intoxicate their body to alter their mood for as long as there is people on this planet.

Plant,powder,liquid,toads blood,lemsip you name it,folk will always want to feel different.

• Moderators

Probably typed at least half in jest but:-

- Would vastly reduce crime

What about the vast amount of criminals that make a living out of peddling drugs? Given you've removed their income, would they not just move to another form of crime e.g. robbing folk?

I'm torn on this one.

Take cannabis away from the dealers and you'll cerrainly get more people smoking it.  There will be plenty of people around with Diddles' attitude of 'all drugs are for mugs'.  Make it legal and available in coffee shops and the like, and you'll remove this 'seedy' view of it that many folk will have.

is this a good thing or a bad thing though?  I'd say the only folk who are likely to be doing this would be the folk who would think nothing of going to the pub and having a skinful ... and I agree with The Gonzo's point, I'd rather have a town centre full of stoned folk than pissed up folk.

Also, the sales of pot noodles and monster munch would go through the roof.

Let's not kid ourselves that it would reduce crime though.  Stoners tend to be too bone fucking idle to commit crime anyway.

Aye let's make druggies happy.

People will always buy drugs though diddles.

Legal or illegal.

It's not about wanting to make drug users happy.

Making them legal,taxable,cleaner,weaker and out of the hands of criminals is the view being put forward.

Wether it would all happen Rosie like that is a different matter all together.

I say legalise cannabis as its basically legal now anyway.

Legalise ecstasy as theres stronger legal highs you can buy at any bong shop in town,plus nobody dies from taking ecstasy,people die from taking contaminated ecstasy.

The exportation of bing worldwide is as big as oil and gas.so it would save the authorities a lot of time and Money fighting a losing battle,especially when countries governments are involved in the whole operations from crop plantations to mass shipping.(see Columbia/Bolivia /Peru )

As for crack and smack...fuck that shit.leave the rats to it.

Diddles when you know nothing on a subject it's best to stay quiet.

I have lived in the Netherlands when it is managed correctly it is a great system. I don't smoke weed as the old asthma ruins me if I try but many of my friends / colleagues did. It produced a lot less problems than you think.

There were problems between certain groups but no more than there would be through alcohol issues!

You can buy it to smoke at home in the Netherlands which allows you to smoke it in private.

For me it would be a vote for yes.

Having worked with drug users, and the very chaotic ones, for 27 years I would say a definite no to any form of legalisation of illegal drugs, IMO cannabis is a gateway drug, it burns hotter than tobacco so increases risk of mouth and throat cancer, some people do actually become addicted to cannabis and commit crime to fund it, there are many many pro's and con's and the debate will last a lot longer than us, it'l never happen

Do you deal with the people suffering from alcohol issues too? Which would you say is worst? And for once this is a genuine question and not a piss take. Seeing the alcoholics and the drug users down the reeps I can never work out who is worse / what difference there is

Yes mate, the alcoholics  [in general] are the more gobby and violent, as the Gonzo said, if ale was introduced now it would be illegal, it is a big bad world we live i an dthere are no easy answers, you don't wake up one morning and say, "I'm going to be a heroin addict" or "a alcoholic", addiction creeps up on you very very quick. IMO

Yeah it does seem to happen quickly and without warning in some cases before its too late. Few guys I work with here claim they are not dependant an yet have to go for 6 pints or so every night. I work with a lot of bright red people.

You know much about the way other countries deal with it. They seem to just accept it here. Give them the empty bottles to cash in to buy ale etc.

• Members

Also you can't really count "it will mean less crime" as a reason to decriminalise something- that is a bit of a given, you could decriminalise theft and make the same argument

I think you misunderstand pal. Not the 'crime' of using. The crimes of house breaking and mugging etc. as a means of funding their habit.