Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Stuart Holden

L/H White

After a shite week for the club maybe a bit of good news, fingers crossed

@stuholden: Really pleased with my progress after all the hard work! Nearly there now!! If you bet against me, prepare to pay up :)

Can he play left back?

If Stu hadn't got injured

Would have drawn at OT

Would have beaten Stoke

Finished top half

Qualified for Europe

Still been int Prem under OC

Nice bloke, but he needs to think of an alternative career to footie.

He's just not physically built for a long career sadly (although I'd love to be proven wrong).

I wouldn't say it's down to Holden not being physically built for a long career in football tbh.

He's been the victim of two bad fouls and then did his knee which could happen to any player.

I've got my fingers crossed that you're right.

I'd like to think this was the case.

Regardless, his determination to get back is admirable.

He is a much bigger inspiration and better role model to young players than the rest of our squad will ever be.

Holden would transform this team as he'd look to receive the ball from the defence, or show some movement to drag opponents away to create space for the likes of Ngog and eagles, rather than our current midfield who like to get marked as quickly as possible.

I see no reason why Mark Davies can't do this more often. Appreciate that we have freedman playing him on the wing or in attacking midfield where he never sees the ball due to dog shit tactics

Holden would transform this team as he'd look to receive the ball from the defence, or show some movement to drag opponents away to create space for the likes of Ngog and eagles, rather than our current midfield who like to get marked as quickly as possible.

I see no reason why Mark Davies can't do this more often. Appreciate that we have freedman playing him on the wing or in attacking midfield where he never sees the ball due to dog shit tactics

See this is what we're missing.

Our midfield (and considering how many we have it's quite outstanding really) consists of attacking midfielders and sitting midfielders. We don't have any up-and-down midfielders since Holden got injured and Muamba retired. As such, because we're sitting so entrenched in our positions, it's quite easy for the opposition to find holes in midfield and exploit them.

Holden would move back and forth and close up those holes, as Muamba used to do, constantly causing the opposition to try to find ways around. This alone would relieve a lot of pressure from the defence and our results would start to look up.

I wonder if that's why DF is obsessed with bringing in midfielders (I am not saying we should prioritize them over defenders, but we really could do with one who isn't quite as static as the ones we have).

• Moderators

Last week freedman was getting stick for playing mark Davies too deep

Just an observation

See this is what we're missing.

Our midfield (and considering how many we have it's quite outstanding really) consists of attacking midfielders and sitting midfielders. We don't have any up-and-down midfielders since Holden got injured and Muamba retired. As such, because we're sitting so entrenched in our positions, it's quite easy for the opposition to find holes in midfield and exploit them.

Holden would move back and forth and close up those holes, as Muamba used to do, constantly causing the opposition to try to find ways around. This alone would relieve a lot of pressure from the defence and our results would start to look up.

I wonder if that's why DF is obsessed with bringing in midfielders (I am not saying we should prioritize them over defenders, but we really could do with one who isn't quite as static as the ones we have).

Both Mark Davies and Medo are more than capable of being "up and down" midfielders, I'd actually say that an inform Spearing could to.

For some reason, either tactical or otherwise they aren't playing like that at the moment.

Last week freedman was getting stick for playing mark Davies too deep

Just an observation

In fairness I think Eavesy was a minority that said he preferred him deeper so he could collect the ball there

I disagree as I don't think he's as effective there and Pratley has more of a "box to box" engine. When he did pick it up inside their half a couple of times he really hurt them, but can't do it often enough I we have one up front as the man just off him is usually taking up that space where Mavies could be most dangerous.

I see Eavesy's logic though

Holden will struggle to get in the team. .

Medo Moritz and Eagles can't get in atm.

Mavies Pratley spearing Medo Moritz holden ... six premiership payed midfielders for 2/3 places. . And Andrews back end of season.

He won't struggle if he's as good as he was in the few matches for US before his injury he looked good and I'm sure he would be first name on the team sheet.

He won't struggle if he's as good as he was in the few matches for US before his injury he looked good and I'm sure he would be first name on the team sheet.

He had months to get to that level. Back in January he looked sluggish and off the pace.

Will the club will stick by him? They're making all the right noises, but we'll probably be offering him peanuts at the end of the season. You wonder if he'll chance his arm back in the US instead?

I'm not sure he'll be ready to play much of a part this season, I certainly hope we don't rush him back in desperation. I'm sure the setbacks he has had would have finished may players. As the awesome one says, his determination is admirable, having him "back in the fold" can surely only have a positive effect on those around him.