Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

For The Older Lads

jules_darby

Walking away from the Aldershot defeat and thinking Christ, Burnley have just held on to league status by the skin of their teeth - that could be us next year. THAT was bad

I even cried on the way up manny rd after that game... couldn't believe we had gone down to the fourth division :(

I remember relegation, but it did not seem to matter...today we are also forced to watch some over paid big names play well below their skill level. At least  most of the team rolled up their sleeves and tried in the early 80's.

Promotion at Wrexham was good though !

Edited by Cheshirewhite

That was 87, by then we'd shed all the shit fans and when we did go down people were singing "we'll support you evermore". Where evermore doesn't just mean the Premier League.

& we stopped singing that IIRC. We decided it was defeatist & wallowing in self pity & resigned to continued shiteness.

We got behind them & the Booooooooo hadn't been invented yet!

Oh, & lads had perms, a lot grimmer

Early 80's very different as away days really were away days and the football took 2nd place to other distractions.

It took 4yrs to appoint a manager who could organise and also spot talent and play them.

It's worse now because it's just one piss poor decision after another, back then we knew we had punched to far above our weight.

The difference between the the top and bottom was as not as pronounced back then. And we had not been as high for as long as we have been in recent years.

The drop is dramatic and in some ways worse because we seem to have established our selves in the top division, other teams had to do incredibly well to stay up because of the money from sky.

Back then no one followed Bolton thinking we would win anything so losing was hardly a disaster, I can not imagine anything in the modern era feeling worse than seeing the Normid on the embankment.

Did the 80-84 decline have a similar feel to this?

Just wondering really

I was too young to know

Yes.

Same downward spiral. Players being replaced by poorer players, then those by more mediocre ones, team spirit disappears, players are just hanging around seeing out their contracts and it just continues. I think we are two years off it leveling out. Unfortunately I don't believe DF's italian approach will work unless its with a team of young uns coming through together who have been coached in those ways.

the lowest point must have been the 4-0 drubbing at Scarborough.  Yet nobody seemed to give a flying fuck.

99% of the travelling support was blotto and singing ''show me the way to go home''

We were shit and accepted it.

Nowadays,no-one is prepared to accept especially the diva like players

Guest pansyroadwhite

No your wrong yes it was bad in the 80's but even with 3000 on at burnden the feeling at the game was better i was there against Darlington and the noise created was brilliant every away game in the 4th division was a fantastic adventure no comparison to the present shite