Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

For The Older Lads

jules_darby

• Moderators

No your wrong yes it was bad in the 80's but even with 3000 on at burnden the feeling at the game was better i was there against Darlington and the noise created was brilliant every away game in the 4th division was a fantastic adventure no comparison to the present shite

dont be silly

the difference is being old

• Site Supporter

No your wrong yes it was bad in the 80's but even with 3000 on at burnden the feeling at the game was better i was there against Darlington and the noise created was brilliant every away game in the 4th division was a fantastic adventure no comparison to the present shite

Pansy mate

I do believe you are talking with your dick hanging out.

I'd just started watching us in the 4th so can tell you it was fucking grim most weeks.

However, I was too young to drink then so I can only comment on the football, crowds and fucking big shop in the corner.

Guest pansyroadwhite

Pansy mate

I do believe you are talking with your dick hanging out.nope u were to young and u are wrong

I'd just started watching us in the 4th so can tell you it was fucking grim most weeks.

However, I was too young to drink then so I can only comment on the football, crowds and fucking big shop in the corner.

Started before then but don't remember much prior to the freight rover final

Hence my question

Us that started in the BWFC dark ages must have psychological problems I reckon! :D

There's no way you're younger than me! How big was your paper round? :D

Looks like I'll be paying you out early, give me a shout when next about :(

Guest pansyroadwhite

no I am right and you are wrong the expectations were lower so maybe that's part of it, I lived through it you were a spunk stain, I loved every day of the 4th division because every one stuck together, please don't try to be cocky because u are a tart, this moment in time feels much much worse

no I am right and you are wrong the expectations were lower so maybe that's part of it, I lived through it you were a spunk stain, I loved every day of the 4th division because every one stuck together, please don't try to be cocky because u are a tart, this moment in time feels much much worse

There's still many of us there from the 80s bad days , maybe older and wiser but still gonna keep the faith. Fuck em all.

It don't matter where we was, 16-20 years of age was my best times, we were shit but the camaradary of the fans was brilliant, it was all about days out not football. The old school in my local called the team 'the stiffs' and thought I was mad travelling all over the place watching the whites, but I loved clocking the grounds up. I'm glad we had our tour of the lower leagues and experienced all the emotions along the way, it was a laugh :)

The squad we had back in those days was hell of a lot smaller and on paper no where near as good as the 1 we have today but at least the smaller shitter squad had a go not like these over payed fucking fannies.

It was bad and we all knew that, it's bad today but we don't seem to realise it.

I was there then and i'm here now, it will never leave me, unfuckingfortunately

My earliest memories of watching Bolton are the Bury play off semi final etc.

It's all been pretty good since then.

This is by far the worse state I've seen our club in my lifetime.

Even when we had a mediocre league season once or twice we either had a cup run or scraped in the play offs.

Yesterday the penny dropped for me,bit like the Wigan home game under Coyle.

I finally realised we are in deep,deep shit and this isn't going to get fixed anytime soon.

As my old man said with his head in his hands....there's fuck all hope to cling on to.

He remember the 80's extremely well and says its a complete different ball game off the pitch,but on it the players have the same calamatous tendencies they did...I.e we have on filed disaster after disaster,cock up after cock up.

Just like we did back then.

I arrived on the Burnden scene when the demise was pretty much completed about 86/87 remember the relegation to 4th and season after was when I started going quite a bit so I've no idea how the demise feels really pretty much from day one we've been on the up maybe half steps back here and there and some shitty days but what I would say is this period feels different it's seems we're struggling to do anything right I feel the intentions of Dougie and the club re academy and building a team are sound I like taking Southampton as an example but it's where rock bottom is before we start building hopefully it's a bottom half champs finish this year and not relegation again now or in a season or two this FFP is killing us but as sure as eggs are eggs I'll be there for the way down if we're still going and for the way back up

Edited by onlyoneawalker

I didn't realise a temporary blip lasted 2 bastard years

The last 2 temporary blips lasted around 14 years each. 1st blip took us down to the 3rd Division for the first time ever. 2nd blip took us down to the 4th Division for the first time ever.

I may not survive to see us come back from a 3rd temporary blip like those.

Seemed similar perhaps because we had the buzz of that promotion season to the First. But we having dropped far yet. If we go down another level, ask the question then.

Like many, I presumed we would sit in the lower leagues for years, getting the odd buzz from a cup win against a team a league higher. We got lucky with some decent managerial appointments and in turn, some very good game changing signings. We also got lucky that it was before the game got mega money.

As Enzo points out, the 'we'll support you evermore' thing is just rose tinted specs. I can think of countless times when we got on players' backs, managers' backs etc. Bloody dismal players, awful performances, laughable in terms of footballing entertainment. On the plus side, at least it was cheap and the ground was near the town centre pubs. Plenty of local derbies against other crap teams too.

But don't for a minute think we are anywhere near that. I know some folk on here love talking the club into the ground, but we've some way to go yet.

The current state of play feels a lot like the period 80/81/82 .... struggling at second tier level with players who ought to be performing better. The bottom line is we've got to reach the bottom of this slump while still in this division. Being back in the wilderness of the third tier would be very hard to stomach and I doubt we would bounce back speedily.

1963 low point

1972 high point

1978 high point

Aldershot  nadir

Reading   high as a kite

up down up down shake it all about

Allianz Stadium Muchen  ....its a long way from Feetams

down & maybe down again( with that clown in charge )

nevertheless,  been with them all the way & into the next climb.

Does it feel like the Eighties?  wish It did I'd be still shaking my pants down.

1963 low point

1972 high point

1978 high point

Aldershot  nadir

Reading   high as a kite

up down up down shake it all about

Allianz Stadium Muchen  ....its a long way from Feetams

down & maybe down again( with that clown in charge )

nevertheless,  been with them all the way & into the next climb.

Does it feel like the Eighties?  wish It did I'd be still shaking my pants down.

Great post Mr Hunt that's what it's all about and I'm right behind you. COYWM.