Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

6 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Guess that depends on your age

Yep. And your dad. I grew up in Sharples and my dad in Smithills. Short hop over the hill to Blackburn. He never missed the chance to take me to Ewood from a very early age. That promotion game we were on a dad and lad ticket in their riverside stand. Blackburn always a rival for me from that day 

2 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Yep. And your dad. I grew up in Sharples and my dad in Smithills. Short hop over the hill to Blackburn. He never missed the chance to take me to Ewood from a very early age. That promotion game we were on a dad and lad ticket in their riverside stand. Blackburn always a rival for me from that day 

FiL took us to Strawberry Duck first time visited and told me how it was a haunt on Sundays as Blackburn had longer hours 

• Moderators

How anybody can argue blackburn isnt a derby

And tbh it was never that close to us ones radcliffe

But as ive grown older and moved nearer. ive realised theyre absolutely on our doorstep

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, green genie said:

FiL took us to Strawberry Duck first time visited and told me how it was a haunt on Sundays as Blackburn had longer hours 

Went up one E Monday I think

Pretty sure it was cos they had all day

• Members
14 hours ago, MickyD said:

Indeed. Some folks must never have enjoyed that walk from Blackburn station to Ewood. 

We've missed the obvious. He was speaking as a Liverpool fan.

• Members
2 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Gasperini masterclass

Not a great surprise to us admirers of the 'farmers league'. Couldn't be that we were correct all along could it?

Need to factor in the cracks starting to show at Liverpool though. They'll end up with the Mickey Mouse Cup only to send Klippety on his way.

7 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

I get it if Blackburn was accessible to you. Those living in Astley Bridge, Bradshaw, Bromley Cross, Turton etc., etc. I assume a few fans lived nearby.

But to me Blackburn was place beyond my school in Astley Bridge & had a funny shirt. I don't recall ever meeting one person who supported them. No car in our family & so, though I went to Ewood a few times, I left immediately. Plus school games included QEGS & St. Mary's. The first time I went to the town itself I was in my 20's & to this day have been barely a handful of times.

The BEN used to report on them, as they did Bury. But as rivals they barely registered.

10 hours ago, captainmed said:

Another chance of a trophy virtually gone.

Fail to win the league too and hopefully then implosion post Klopp. 

Fuck the scousers. 

Did you miss the game where they were 4-0 down to Barca? 

• Site Supporter
Just now, L/H White said:

Are you confident enough to have a flutter on Liverpool to go through?

1 hour ago, L/H White said:

“They”, been we all season😏

Only downside of last night is they have clear run at league. If City play the Arse in CL SF that’s hell of a distraction on top of FA cup for City

4 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

I get it if Blackburn was accessible to you. Those living in Astley Bridge, Bradshaw, Bromley Cross, Turton etc., etc. I assume a few fans lived nearby.

But to me Blackburn was place beyond my school in Astley Bridge & had a funny shirt. I don't recall ever meeting one person who supported them. No car in our family & so, though I went to Ewood a few times, I left immediately. Plus school games included QEGS & St. Mary's. The first time I went to the town itself I was in my 20's & to this day have been barely a handful of times.

The BEN used to report on them, as they did Bury. But as rivals they barely registered.

It’s not just about geography is it ? Blackburn are historical rivals .

33k on Burnden in around 1972 when our average gate was around 11k .

That was a top of league three clash, not to mention 27k on Ewood when we sealed promotion to League One.

As a Horwichite I knew at least a handful of local Dingles.

Not rivals my arse!

I always considered Blackburn rivals even though we only had one or two fans at school and that was only because of their title win. Always a notch below Utd but the FA Cup games and the promotion challenge under Sam were massive games. That said, there was a significant spell in the Prem - particularly when the reciprocal £15 deal ended - where it felt like just another game. The spark only came back in the Championship with the Eagles winner, the 4-0 win etc, and even then I wouldn’t say it matched the edge of the Wigan games (and not much different to those sparingly few league games against Bury)

2 hours ago, Take Hunt Off said:

It’s not just about geography is it ? Blackburn are historical rivals .

33k on Burnden in around 1972 when our average gate was around 11k .

That was a top of league three clash, not to mention 27k on Ewood when we sealed promotion to League One.

As a Horwichite I knew at least a handful of local Dingles.

Not rivals my arse!

Well done.

I'm speaking for myself of course.

So, for me ... I'm right.

• Members
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, L/H White said:

of course, and i will

FFS don't. Clutching at straws son.  Dreaming of Istanbul whilst filling your wank sock will lead you to a dark place mate. The place where losers live and bookies upgrade their Merc models.

Burn yer dough in Bergamo if your foolish enough.

Edited by bolty58

37 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

FFS don't. Clutching at straws son.  Dreaming of Istanbul whilst filling your wank sock will lead you to a dark place mate. The place where losers live and bookies upgrade their Merc models.

Burn yer dough in Bergamo if your foolish enough.

they will get through in italy