Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Town Centre Latest

Smiley

• Site Supporter

We always saw plenty of Wards bitter off in them days when I went to Sheffield. I don't know if they are still going.

I got taken to the snooker regularly by a shipping company. One time we got shushed by the referee as one of our party stood on his pint (you could take them in in those days, in plastic cups). There was beer all over the place but it made it funnier than ever when he just picked his busted pot up and tried to carry on as if it wasn't him.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, FrancisFogarty said:

We always saw plenty of Wards bitter off in them days when I went to Sheffield. I don't know if they are still going.

I got taken to the snooker regularly by a shipping company. One time we got shushed by the referee as one of our party stood on his pint (you could take them in in those days, in plastic cups). There was beer all over the place but it made it funnier than ever when he just picked his busted pot up and tried to carry on as if it wasn't him.

My campus was right next door to wards and it fucking stank 

8 minutes ago, Whitestar said:

Was Stones Bitter a Sheffield thing?

I used to like that, used to always get it in cans as well but not seen it for a while.

Yep

Though don't think it's going anymore

Think Wards has gone as well. It tastes shite anyway and I reckon locals only drank it because it's a Sheffield thing 

1 hour ago, DirtySanchez said:

Yep

Though don't think it's going anymore

Think Wards has gone as well. It tastes shite anyway and I reckon locals only drank it because it's a Sheffield thing 

A pub round here had a barrel of it on a couple of years ago, I think a small brewery got permission from Bass or whoever owns it to make it. They did the same with Bass as well.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Nowack said:

A pub round here had a barrel of it on a couple of years ago, I think a small brewery got permission from Bass or whoever owns it to make it. They did the same with Bass as well.

Aye 

https://www.truenorthbrewco.uk/single-post/stones-bitter-returns-to-sheffield-with-the-traditional-cask-recipe

My local has Bass on as well

Worked in a pub whilst at uni in Sheff. Ward's was pronounced Wahrds (rhymes with yards) and Stone's was pronounced Stonnes. Still, they know how to knock out a belting pork, stuffing, apple sauce and crackling barm over there.

• Site Supporter
14 hours ago, Whitestar said:

Was Stones Bitter a Sheffield thing?

I used to like that, used to always get it in cans as well but not seen it for a while.

Just seeing the name Stones Bitter gives me a headache and has me fancying a fight.  

Horrible stuff.

• Site Supporter
On 16/02/2024 at 14:23, mr_disco said:

Worked in a pub whilst at uni in Sheff. Ward's was pronounced Wahrds (rhymes with yards) and Stone's was pronounced Stonnes. Still, they know how to knock out a belting pork, stuffing, apple sauce and crackling barm over there.

Enjoyed the occasional pork, stuffing and apple sauce butty walking to Wednesday’s ground. 

Similarly, at Port Vale a trip to the local oatcake shop was in order. 

• Site Supporter

I got given some oatcakes at a printers in Stoke once. The bloke handed them over as if they were a real posh dish. I was searching for a suitable platitude to accept them with but unfortunately they were just a soft biscuit made of oats.

Best I could come up with is 'they're verr nice but you need a brew'.

7 hours ago, FrancisFogarty said:

I got given some oatcakes at a printers in Stoke once. The bloke handed them over as if they were a real posh dish. I was searching for a suitable platitude to accept them with but unfortunately they were just a soft biscuit made of oats.

Best I could come up with is 'they're verr nice but you need a brew'.

Went out with a girl from Stoke and she kept banging on about oatcakes and how wonderful they were. I was expecting a biscuit or something similar. Turned out to be some kind of savoury pancake she put ham and cheese on then rolled it up like a big cheesy joint. No idea what your clients gave you.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, mr_disco said:

Went out with a girl from Stoke and she kept banging on about oatcakes and how wonderful they were. I was expecting a biscuit or something similar. Turned out to be some kind of savoury pancake she put ham and cheese on then rolled it up like a big cheesy joint. No idea what your clients gave you.

They were a home made job, so (like lobby or tater hash) I thought there must be regional variations. As I wanted to get an order I did like dad, I kept mum.

• Site Supporter

I’d gone into Burslem town centre to an oatcake shop purported to be the oldest in Staffs.

As described by Mr Disco, pretty much an unsweetened pancake with melted cheese and meat in. The best description I could manage would be a very thin crumpet.

Edited by MickyD

12 hours ago, MickyD said:

I’d gone into Burslem town centre to an oatcake shop purported to be the oldest in Staffs.

As described by Mr Disco, pretty much an unsweetened pancake with melted cheese and meat in. The best description I could manage would be a very thin crumpet.

That's my experience of them, I think the word I would use is "underwhelmed"  - I suspect even the good people of Stoke know they're actually shit, but pretend to like them as to keep some sort of tradition alive (similiar to Northern folk with regards to Lobby and Black Peas etc)

41 minutes ago, Sweep said:

That's my experience of them, I think the word I would use is "underwhelmed"  - I suspect even the good people of Stoke know they're actually shit, but pretend to like them as to keep some sort of tradition alive (similiar to Northern folk with regards to Lobby and Black Peas etc)

That's all it is, cultural heritage bias.

Add Warbys bread and Walsh trainers into that category too. Both utter shite.

42 minutes ago, Traf said:

That's all it is, cultural heritage bias.

Add Warbys bread and Walsh trainers into that category too. Both utter shite.

:)

I think I'd rather wear a loaf of Warbys bread on my feet than Walsh trainers. 

To be fair, I don't think anybody really thinks Warbys is decent, it's doughy shite....as is most processed "long life" bread

• Site Supporter
48 minutes ago, Sweep said:

To be fair, I don't think anybody really thinks Warbys is decent, it's doughy shite....as is most processed "long life" bread

In a scrap with a bit of Lurpak Warbys just curls up and dies.

Doughy shite.

1 hour ago, Sweep said:

not no more they have took the long life stuff out of it now

3 days in its full of Green mold 

• Site Supporter
21 hours ago, Sweep said:

Most "Boltonian" cuisine is fucking rank.

I'll die on this hill

16 minutes ago, Spider said:

Most "Boltonian" cuisine is fucking rank.

I'll die on this hill

You hear this stuff about local British foodstuffs from nouveau riche who wang on about 'classic peasant dishes' from France, Italy and Spain but then something will trend again and they're all over it.

Hot pots, black pudding, eccles cakes, black peas, chorley cake, butter pies, pastie barms, Morcambe Bay Shrimp, Corned Beef Hash, Parkin, Manchester Tart, Rag Pudding, decent gravy.....

All decent local Lancashire foodstuffs of which Bolton has a proud heritage. And like most working class areas all around the world they come from peasant dishes. We have more than enough to match a Cassoulet, a potage de vigilia or pasta e fagioli.

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

You hear this stuff about local British foodstuffs from nouveau riche who wang on about 'classic peasant dishes' from France, Italy and Spain but then something will trend again and they're all over it.

Hot pots, black pudding, eccles cakes, black peas, chorley cake, butter pies, pastie barms, Morcambe Bay Shrimp, Corned Beef Hash, Parkin, Manchester Tart, Rag Pudding, decent gravy.....

All decent local Lancashire foodstuffs of which Bolton has a proud heritage. And like most working class areas all around the world they come from peasant dishes. We have more than enough to match a Cassoulet, a potage de vigilia or pasta e fagioli.

Pastie barms & black pudding.

Other than that, it's a cornucopia of dreary, bland disappointment