Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Players Not Been Paid

Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter

I can see a fire sale in jan.

How much for our 'best' crop?

£2 mill for Mavies,Amos and Clough combined.

We don't have a best..

Mavies was mostly injured in the Premier years

Amos is "failed" United player and currently the GK at one of the worst teams in the league

Clough has played a handful of games..

I cant see there being much interest tbh or we would have sold them already. Grim but true..

I can see a fire sale in jan.

How much for our 'best' crop?

£2 mill for Mavies,Amos and Clough combined.

I'm not sure what we would get for our "best" players - let's be honest, Mavies and Clough we'd be as well getting anything that we can for them, as they're both injured more than they're not, so shifting them two on wouldn't be an issue. We might just about scrape £1M for Mavies, not sure we'd get anywhere near that for Clough though.

Amos would probably command £1M - the rest of them probably have little or no resale value.

That's depressing - how the fuck have we managed to get such a piss poor squad? - or do some still think we're only a decent striker away from being a good mid table team?

Well lets see what this bunch of useless players do tonight if they care about the club and fans they will give us a winning performance we deserve if they don't sell the effing lot of the ,

Not sure about you, but if I hadn't been paid and had a room full of folk at my work telling me I was shit at my job I reckon I'd be less than productive.

Not sure about you, but if I hadn't been paid and had a room full of folk at my work telling me I was shit at my job I reckon I'd be less than productive.

I reckon I might put a shift in and hope somebody was watching and think me good enough to offer a contract to......they're on telly after all, so properly "in the shop window" so to speak

Right. I know this seems a bit of a shit position to be in but from a business point of view its the right move.

Lets look at it...many of our players are shit and not worth the contracts they are on. The fucking huge losses tells us this because other than agents fees of a million, where else can we be spunking so much money?

So, if they move they move. Thumbs up. There's some honest lads wearing the shirt but in reality not one of them I'd pay a lot of money to watch anyway, so what is there to lose??

The younger lesser paid ones, well lets be honest, there wont be a queue of people at the door for them. The new people can negotiate with them. If they go they go. We're bottom of the league so its not like we're losing Ronaldo and Messi.

Those who want to stay can do so on revised terms, those who don't can leave. No hard feelings.

This sorts out the shit from the clay, and gives whoever is taking over the opportunity to do so with a cleaner sheet of paper but from Birchs's point of view gives him the chance to see how serious these potential people are.

I've seen it myself first hand when I was working for F.Browns.

We didnt get paid a couple of weeks running and it all went to pot. Lads were wandering round site having 2 hours dinners and fucking off early.

People mistake footballers for lads that give a shit.

It's just a job.

• Site Supporter

I can't see what ED would gain by going into administration. Seems funny all this as come about when PG went into hospital all very strange to me!

he's writing off the money anyway..

administration would help strip assets and terminate contracts and bring costs down

I can't see what ED would gain by going into administration. Seems funny all this as come about when PG went into hospital all very strange to me!

Maybe he just can't lose a million a month anymore. Maybe he doesn't even want a fee for the club, just that someone who can cover the losses for as long as they need to be covered for, can do so.

When a football club is going through certain financial difficulties it may occur that they are unable to meet certain outgoings one of which may be the paying of the players’ wages. This is a particular problem for clubs playing in the lower leagues of the Football League but recently this has occurred to a Premier League club. The Club was just about to enter into administration following high profile problems with the ownership of the club and the club was unable to pay the players wages.

Is it legal for the club to do this?

It is not legal for the club to do this as this is a clear breach of the employment contract that the players will have with the club. Football players are employees in much the same way as individuals working in any other industry and accordingly are subject to the same rights as any other employee in England and Wales under the Employment Rights Act 1996. One of the rights of an employee is to be paid.

Would a player be able to walk away from his contract due to not being paid?

A player would be able to terminate his contract with the club due to the material breach committed by the club in not paying him. However, it is not always likely that a player will do this.

Why is it unlikely that a player would do this?

Often when a football club is suffering financial difficulties and they are unable to play their players the players will group together for the good of the club. In many instances it is therefore unlikely for players to simply walk away due to the fact they have not been paid their weekly wages.

A football player who does not show the solidarity for the club which he plays for when the club is in a difficult position may be unlikely to find another club if he simply walks away from his contract. This is due to the fact that he seems simply concerned with money rather than the love of the game. Footballers earn vast sums of money and although the situation of them not being paid on time is regrettable it is viewed as something which they can endure until the club secures a better financial position.

If a club misses the payment for the players’ wages will the players receive this eventually?

It is likely that if a club misses a weekly payment for the players’ wages that the players will eventually receive this payment.

For example a high profile Spanish club when the Presidency changed hands during June 2010 was unable to meet one weekly deadline for the payment of players’ wages. However, once the new President was able to get the house in order the payment for the players’ wages was met.

What happens if the club is not able to get its house in order?

If a club is not able to get its house in order and suffers such financial problems that it looks as if it will go out of business, the usual course of action is for the club to go into administration. If a club goes into administration assets, such as the training complex, will be sold in order to recoup money and thus pay off creditors.

When this happens to a football club the football creditors will be paid before any other creditors such as HM Revenue and Excise. This is termed the football super creditors rule and means that if a football club goes into administration the players’ wages will be paid as a priority over other non football related creditors.

Is there a body which will assist football players if the club is not able to pay their wages?

All professional footballs playing in the Premier League and Football League are represented by a body called the Professional Footballers’ Association (the PFA). If players have not been paid their wages they will receive assistance from the PFA to ensure that the matter is concluded in the interests of both the players and the club.

Edited by Blondi