Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Sad state of affairs that.

I'm sure this has been touched upon before, but if a player is acting the cunt etc is he risking breaching his contract?

1 hour ago, DirtySanchez said:

Suppose it depends how far they push it 

Pretty sure it was Savage who said it and given it's been a while since he played, then maybe clubs have got wiser 

He basically wanted to leave Birmingham as soon as his Welsh hero mark Hughes wanted to sign him at Blackburn 

Reads like an unofficial transfer request though

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/robbie-savage-birmingham-city-exit-12454595?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

12 years ago I downed tools at Birmingham City to engineer a move to Blackburn.

I even went over the head of my manager, Steve Bruce, and phoned Mr Sullivan personally, which was something a player should never have done. I was so desperate I even threatened to drive to his house and park my car in his drive to force through the move I wanted.

When I look back at the way I conducted myself then, I have to admit it: I was a disgrace.

"I was made to train with the kids, and when I turned out for the reserves at Solihull in front of a record crowd, I was humiliated by fans who accused me of letting them down just after signing a four-year contract.

My house was attacked and in the dressing room there was plenty of stick flying my way: not nasty, not hostile, just sarcastic and edgy.

I played the homesickness card. I said I wanted to move closer to my parents, even though Blackburn is further from Wrexham than Birmingham

But when all was said and done, I got my move – while Gold and Sullivan made a three-fold profit on the fee they paid for me."

• Site Supporter
29 minutes ago, 1969 said:

Femi azeez from reading supposedly £250000 agreed

According to the same random twitter account that claimed Dion Charles was in contract talks with PNE 3 weeks ago...

Edited by Cheese

1 hour ago, tomski said:

Seems a great guy your Evatt😂 I’m not convinced it went down like that but this is old ground and pointless debating. Time to look forward and not back.

What would you say is different?

1 hour ago, woolli said:

No, i dont know he only wanted to play left wing, you must have inside information regarding this? I do know that was his preferred position, and, normally, when they have that much talent, thats where the manager would, in my opinion, play him. I suggest Maghoma only wants to play in midfield? Should we fuck him off then?

Are you aware our preferred system doesnt cater for a left winger?

You know, that same system that has got us to where we are?

32 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Are you aware our preferred system doesnt cater for a left winger?

You know, that same system that has got us to where we are?

But dont detract from my question? In your own words Dapo only wanted to play left wing, thats the reason he was fucked off. Maghoma only wants to play in midfield. So should we fuck him off for that?  Im sure you are aware of that?

2 minutes ago, woolli said:

But dont detract from my question? In your own words Dapo only wanted to play left wing, thats the reason he was fucked off. Maghoma only wants to play in midfield. So should we fuck him off for that?  Im sure you are aware of that?

Ive seen nothing to suggest Mags wont play where hes told. Have you?

Dapo was tired at wing back, didnt work.

He was tried in the middle, it didnt work.

He was tried upfront, it didnt work.

He was then mostly used as a substitute. Which sometimes worked. 

His best and preferred position was clearly in off the left but we dont play a system with that kind of position available.

He was then sold for cash as it suited all parties. He got first team football playing in off the left and we had a decent season, made the play offs, won the papa johns trophy and now we are games in hand from going top of the league.

I dont understand what the problem is with it all?

He just didnt fit our system. He didn't want to sit on the bench and him being on the bench was a waste of his talent. 

22 minutes ago, woolli said:

Because we do not play with a left winger but do play with a midfield ?

3 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Ive seen nothing to suggest Mags wont play where hes told. Have you?

Dapo was tired at wing back, didnt work.

He was tried in the middle, it didnt work.

He was tried upfront, it didnt work.

He was then mostly used as a substitute. Which sometimes worked. 

His best and preferred position was clearly in off the left but we dont play a system with that kind of position available.

He was then sold for cash as it suited all parties. He got first team football playing in off the left and we had a decent season, made the play offs, won the papa johns trophy and now we are games in hand from going top of the league.

I dont understand what the problem is with it all?

He just didnt fit our system. He didn't want to sit on the bench and him being on the bench was a waste of his talent. 

I do agree with some of that. With regards to Mags, he his not capable in playing any other position, same as Dapo to a certain extent. My own opinion is Mags cant lace Dapos boots, whether he fits into Evatts system  or not. the simple truth is one will be playing in the Bundersliga next year, one will be playing no higher than the championship. Nothing more to say really!

Very hard balance with these January transfers because we have a much greater chance of going up this season. Doubt we get 4 in. Most likely 2 imo.

Safest (financial) strategy could be to pad the squad out with a few loans to see the season out and upgrade in a higher division. Or go high-risk-high-reward and sign couple permanents who are already upgrades.

Or do a mix, maybe one/two loans, one permanent upgrade.

CB - Got 6 players capable of player Centreback. But two are out short term (forrester + gethin) and one long term (johnston).

WB - Got 5 players for 2 wingback spots: JDC, Williams, Matheson, Ashworth, Iredale, Gethin.

But the latter two are our CB cover and we're short term depleted.

Ashworth probably leaves in summer.  JDC plays every minute and could get injured or burnt out. Matheson is unproven and Williams is now injured for 6 weeks.

I think out of every position this is the one we could really do with strengthening. Depends on transfer availability whether we get a loan or a permanent.

CM - 5 players for 3 spots. 6 if you count Mendes Gomes (I don't).

All fit and available now so I think unlikely we sign one, unless it's a DM who can cover CB. 

ST - 6 players for 3 positions.

But Dan injured all season, Bodvarsson + Jerome getting old. Mendes Gomes isn't really a true striker.

So only really Vic and Charles for the longer term and both supposedly attracting interest.

3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Sad state of affairs that.

I'm sure this has been touched upon before, but if a player is acting the cunt etc is he risking breaching his contract?

Yeah. But

a. Difficult to prove to a contract breaking degree

b. If you do you rip it up & he's immediately a free agent & joins the new club with no fee.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, woolli said:

I do agree with some of that. With regards to Mags, he his not capable in playing any other position, same as Dapo to a certain extent. My own opinion is Mags cant lace Dapos boots, whether he fits into Evatts system  or not. the simple truth is one will be playing in the Bundersliga next year, one will be playing no higher than the championship. Nothing more to say really!

He's younger than Thomason, still very much learning his trade. 

Personally think he's got a lot to offer this season and beyond

2 minutes ago, desperado said:

Really like Maghoma. Not the finished article by any imagination and why he’s with us but I love the something different he brings. He can dance round people when he’s in the mood.

I think we have to sign either one or both of these:

-- A wingback who can play both sides, which covers JDC and Williams. (but that could be tricky to find).

-- A centre back who can play RWB, which means short term we have Ashworth and Iredale on the left. And temporary cover for Gethin's absence and in case JDC gets injured.

Bonus if we get a midfielder or a striker, but both of those options means one of the current squad gets very limited gametime for the second half of the season. Striker is probably less problematic as Bod and Jerome both getting older, and Dion/Vic likely to have transfer interest in summer.

Controversial thought - can't fault 3-5-2 for where it's got us. But I do miss wingers, generally the most exciting players in teams. Got a mixed bag of strikers, Dion and Vic long term. Jerome and Bodvarsson getting to end of their career. Nlundulu, not sure he has got what it takes especially if we go up.

We have Mendes Gomes who in my eyes is Dapo v2. Not a striker, not a 10. (granted not seen enough of him yet so could be totally wrong)

All our wingbacks are capable of playing fullback in a back four. Wouldn't hate seeing us sign a winger. Means we don't have to add to our already packed centreback options (when all fit). And gives us another option, either this season if we got more injuries at CB and had to switch to a back 4. And means we're not 'locked in' to only playing 5atb forever more under Evatt. 

Ok I'll stop waffling now

5 minutes ago, tomski said:

Really like Maghoma. Not the finished article by any imagination and why he’s with us but I love the something different he brings. He can dance round people when he’s in the mood.

Crying out for someone like him at Barnsley play offs.

...and a dapo :D

5 minutes ago, desperado said:

Dont disagree at all with that mate. Hes got talent.  His cv playing 38 games in the lowest league in English football at 22 years of age, is not impressive at all!