Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

While we're on the subject of GG. 

I saw in his post election interview with Sky News that his proposed solution to the Israel/Palestine problems is the creation of one state, incorporating all the existing territories where all religions and ethnicities live side by side and are given equal rights and responsibilities. 

Huge ask at the moment clearly - but what do we think about the idea in principle? 

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I saw in his post election interview with Sky News that his proposed solution to the Israel/Palestine problems is the creation of one state, incorporating all the existing territories where all religions and ethnicities live side by side and are given equal rights and responsibilities. 

Huge ask at the moment clearly - but what do we think about the idea in principle? 

Sounds radical, it sounds great, but you need to show me some evidence it's worked elsewhere first 

12 minutes ago, Zico said:

Sounds radical, it sounds great, but you need to show me some evidence it's worked elsewhere first 

He made the comparison with South Africa which I don't think works as an analogy (although I can see what he's driving at). 

The idea behind the creation of Israel was that it give Jews a safe haven from persecution

For that reason alone, I couldn't see a viable single state solution

But also it wouldn't be viable whilst the Palestinian militia groups and the rabid antisemitism in that part of the world exists

Perhaps in a few hundred years' time if the planet's still hospitable by then

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

The idea behind the creation of Israel was that it give Jews a safe haven from persecution

For that reason alone, I couldn't see a viable single state solution

But also it wouldn't be viable whilst the Palestinian militia groups and the rabid antisemitism in that part of the world exists

Perhaps in a few hundred years' time if the planet's still hospitable by then

i notice no mention of some of the shit that israel and its state run terror group get up to

thats another reason it wouldnt work

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, kent_white said:

He made the comparison with South Africa which I don't think works as an analogy (although I can see what he's driving at). 

my joky point was are there any countries where all religions and ethnicities live side by side and are given equal rights and responsibilities?

does such a place really exist?

3 minutes ago, Zico said:

my joky point was are there any countries where all religions and ethnicities live side by side and are given equal rights and responsibilities?

does such a place really exist?

There's always going to be tensions I suppose. Whenever there's a mix of different types of people living in the same place. Northern Ireland might be a good example of one that works in recent memory, but I doubt the divisions are on the same scale. Especially now! 

3 hours ago, kent_white said:

It is like saying we are going to have everybody's favourite flavour of ice cream available all the time in unlimited supply. Probably for free, sounds like a good idea but just won't happen. 

• Site Supporter

Northern Ireland has been a great success.

The worst that happens now is English lads piling up to Glasgow singing songs about 400 year old battles.

Other than that, it’s hardly a warzone.

• Members
16 hours ago, kent_white said:

Cloud cuckoo land. Thousands of years of enmity and they will live together in perfect harmony?

Maybe this could be the national anthem?

35 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Cloud cuckoo land. Thousands of years of enmity and they will live together in perfect harmony?

Maybe this could be the national anthem?

OK Alan 🤣

What a constant basic idiot he is.

Yer big racist.

Mind you, I'm not sure irony is the fat Australians thing. 

It would be nice to get over the religions thing,

These people are just stuck in centuries old beliefs , praying to the sky

And then straight to a moblle phone screen the second they are done

Why did the almighty power not give us phones from day one , they might have lost interest in praying by now !

On 04/03/2024 at 09:01, kent_white said:

What does he suggest they do with Hamas to facilitate that possibility, given that Hamas stated policy is to wipe out all Jews and Israel.     

38 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

The brassneck of Hunt now to pat himself on the back for the growing creative industries when they had slashed and cut and run culture war on us all for the past 13 years.

Just fuck off, you won't be buying us that way.

Us? 🤣

3 minutes ago, Zulu said:

What, people like me?

Hey if work in the CI and have swallowed the crap and funding cuts over the last 13 years AND still think this is a long term plan that's been annouced today then good for you, but you'd be very much in the minority.

Just now, Not in Crawley said:

Hey if work in the CI and have swallowed the crap and funding cuts over the last 13 years AND still think this is a long term plan that's been annouced today then good for you, but you'd be very much in the minority.

So, not really ’us’ then? You mean ’you’ and others who share your opinions.  I would agree that you share the majority view, but that’s not what you said. 

Honestly, it’s not that difficult.