Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

3 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Equivalence means recognising that standards of products are equivalent and would allow goods to move freely from North to South. I was talking to a Dublin based customer last week, he said he bought goods from UK company who have a product made in the EU and shipped to UK business, he had to pay duty on the goods increasing his cost by 12 percent, that money goes to the central EU cash pot, the situation is utterly ridiculous, and the blame lies in Brussels.       

Allowing free movement would set a precedent though surely?

What's stopping another country wanting the same with someone on their border?

Would defeat the object of being in the EU

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Equivalence means recognising that standards of products are equivalent and would allow goods to move freely from North to South. I was talking to a Dublin based customer last week, he said he bought goods from UK company who have a product made in the EU and shipped to UK business, he had to pay duty on the goods increasing his cost by 12 percent, that money goes to the central EU cash pot, the situation is utterly ridiculous, and the blame lies in Brussels.       

That's called "Brexit" you silly sausage.

1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

As you say, it's ridiculous. I'm sure, as your customer is in the EU, being Dublin based, that he's doing something about it, and contacting the Irish Parliament to get something done about it, if it's ruining his trade. Sadly, for him, it's his problem if he has to pay more now. He either buys from somebody in the EU if they can do it, if not, tough shit, he'll just have to continue to pay more.

As we're doing the 2023 budgets/forecasts at the minute, we've actually got a handle on how much trade I've "lost" this year due to some of the various difficulties trading with the EU that we've seen. It's only just under £650K, so in real terms probably only around £250K* of GP, so it won't really affect much in the grand scheme of things, especially as we've seen a huge growth in orders and profitability within a certain sector here in the UK (which sadly, is probably going to massively fall off a cliff next year, but I'll worry about that then 🙂)  

*on a personal note, that cost me £5625 in commission 

12 hours ago, Ani said:

Can I just put this back up ? Some of us said 5 years ago our politicians would not be good enough to negotiate a good and beneficial deal. 

That is visionary.

Don’t you know that It’s a negotiating tactic? Being utterly incapable of agreeing to anything and sticking to it🇬🇧

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

It does and that’s fine until the uk reduces its standards and imports chlorine washed chicken for example which then ends up in the eu. 
that’s an example of one risk that needs addressing with that. 
it’s a bit simplistic to just use it as a “ solution” 

1 minute ago, fatolive said:

It does and that’s fine until the uk reduces its standards and imports chlorine washed chicken for example which then ends up in the eu. 

That won't be happening, as we've absolutely fuck all chance of getting a semi decent trade deal with the US  anytime soon 😁

11 minutes ago, fatolive said:

That’s the EU line, it’s clearly being used as an excuse to continue to divert trade wherever possible, chlorinated chicken would never pass equivalence so that arguments utter rubbish.

Irish businesses are continuing to pay x percent extra for goods bought from the UK and passing that onto the Irish public as many items sourced from UK cannot be purchased in the EU. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Cheese said:

Lived in England all my life, and always will. I'm not a deserter like you. 😉

To be fair, in the industry you’re in, never say never. Someone could make you an offer you couldn’t refuse which is possibly how Bolty ended up in Greater Europe.

6 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Irish businesses are continuing to pay x percent extra for goods bought from the UK and passing that onto the Irish public as many items sourced from UK cannot be purchased in the EU. 

Surely it's up to them to do something about it then, they can call a referendum and leave if it upsets them that much. If they're not prepared to try and change the situation, then fuck 'em

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

You support the continuation of this stupidity… I’m happy to wait until common sense prevails and furthermore if it don’t ever transpire then so be it. Irish people paying the price. 

I don't support it. I was against it from the start. You voted FOR it, and now you're complaining. 😁

Edited by Cheese

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, MickyD said:

To be fair, in the industry you’re in, never say never. Someone could make you an offer you couldn’t refuse which is possibly how Bolty ended up in Greater Europe.

I've worked all over the world. Wouldn't want to live there though.

13 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I don't support it. I was against it from the start. You voted FOR it, and now you're complaining. 😁

I didn’t get the chance to vote on how EU would charge its citizens for goods made in Europe and shipped via the UK, just the opportunity to leave the EU.  And I’m not complaining I just feel sorry for Irish folk getting ripped off by the EU. 

We voted to Leave by the narrowest of margins - a swing of 700k voters would have returned a Remain vote - but whilst the Remainers were pretty much of one mind, the Brexiteers were and still are a loose coalition of malcontents who all voted for different things which is why so many of them are dissatisfied and consider it a failure.

The one thing they have in common these days is the mantra "we didn't get the Brexit we voted for". We'll you wouldn't you numpties because you didn't vote for the same thing - so there's no chance they could all be happy with the outcome. The illusion of the promised land of Brexit is and was different for every one who voted for it. I've sat in the pub with Brexiteers who were at each other's throats about what Brexit actually should be, let alone how it's turned out - they couldn't agree on anything.

If you go back to the referendum, what individual Leave voters voted for was one or more of the following:

"Give the money to the NHS not the EU" 

"The EU will admit Turkey 75 million Turkish Muslims will be coming to Britain"

"The EU includes countries with shit economies and we don't want to have to pay to support them"

"Take back control of our borders"

Ditto fisheries

Protect our farmers

Cut VAT

etc etc - a mixed bag of threats and promises  that appealed to a mixed bag of interest groups with different priorities ranging from rational people of a particular political bent to out and out xenophobic racists - few of whom had any grasp on economics or the nature of negotiation - as time has proven.

Those who voted Leave simply because they wanted the NHS to be better funded didn't take into account that the staff levels would be decimated by the other aspects of secession - they didn't vote for that. Those who voted Leave because they don't like foreigners didn't take into account that British people wouldn't fill the vacant jobs and the economy would suffer - and they didn't vote for that. Yup - they're all LOSERS.

Brexiteers are divided into multiple groups so it was never going to be the case that they would ever be satisfied, so now all they have left are excuses (external factors/not the Brexit I voted for etc etc) and attempts to close down the conversation (it's happened-get over it) - which of course will never happen as long as we continue to suffer.

1 hour ago, Cheese said:

The only way any of those things can be conclusively resolved is either a United Ireland, or the Republic of Ireland also leaving the EU. Neither of which are ever going to happen.

What happened to your old username by the way? Did you forget the password?

No Cheese, neither of those need to happen, the EU just needs to accept reality and agree sensible policies such as red and green lines proposed by the UK. 

What are you on about, never had another user name, did you forget your marbles?

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

No Cheese, neither of those need to happen, the EU just needs to accept reality and agree sensible policies such as red and green lines proposed by the UK. 

What are you on about, never had another user name, did you forget your marbles?

OK mate. 😉

8 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

We voted to Leave by the narrowest of margins - a swing of 700k voters would have returned a Remain vote - but whilst the Remainers were pretty much of one mind, the Brexiteers were and still are a loose coalition of malcontents who all voted for different things which is why so many of them are dissatisfied and consider it a failure.

The one thing they have in common these days is the mantra "we didn't get the Brexit we voted for". We'll you wouldn't you numpties because you didn't vote for the same thing - so there's no chance they could all be happy with the outcome. The illusion of the promised land of Brexit is and was different for every one who voted for it. I've sat in the pub with Brexiteers who were at each other's throats about what Brexit actually should be, let alone how it's turned out - they couldn't agree on anything.

If you go back to the referendum, what individual Leave voters voted for was one or more of the following:

"Give the money to the NHS not the EU" 

"The EU will admit Turkey 75 million Turkish Muslims will be coming to Britain"

"The EU includes countries with shit economies and we don't want to have to pay to support them"

"Take back control of our borders"

Ditto fisheries

Protect our farmers

Cut VAT

etc etc - a mixed bag of threats and promises  that appealed to a mixed bag of interest groups with different priorities ranging from rational people of a particular political bent to out and out xenophobic racists - few of whom had any grasp on economics or the nature of negotiation - as time has proven.

Those who voted Leave simply because they wanted the NHS to be better funded didn't take into account that the staff levels would be decimated by the other aspects of secession - they didn't vote for that. Those who voted Leave because they don't like foreigners didn't take into account that British people wouldn't fill the vacant jobs and the economy would suffer - and they didn't vote for that. Yup - they're all LOSERS.

Brexiteers are divided into multiple groups so it was never going to be the case that they would ever be satisfied, so now all they have left are excuses (external factors/not the Brexit I voted for etc etc) and attempts to close down the conversation (it's happened-get over it) - which of course will never happen as long as we continue to suffer.

Lusty, total bollocks from you as usual. Leave voters (all of them) voted to LEAVE, that meant completely returning the UK to the position we were in before we ever became involved with the abominable organisation which destroyed our farming, chemical and engineering industries. Doing that, although initially painful, would have offered us the opportunity to negotiate new terms of engagement with the EU and forced them to consider perfectly sensible and workable measures for the NI border instead of weaponising it as they had done from the start with Teresa May. You really do have to stop this ridiculous assertion that you were lied to during the Brexit process. Both sides outlined their opinions and people voted on it. To insult 52% of the population by insinuating they were stupid and gullible is pathetic and it’s obviously just a shame we weren’t all as clever as you and the other EU sycophants on here. 

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Lusty, total bollocks from you as usual. Leave voters (all of them) voted to LEAVE, that meant completely returning the UK to the position we were in before we ever became involved with the abominable organisation which destroyed our farming, chemical and engineering industries. Doing that, although initially painful, would have offered us the opportunity to negotiate new terms of engagement with the EU and forced them to consider perfectly sensible and workable measures for the NI border instead of weaponising it as they had done from the start with Teresa May. You really do have to stop this ridiculous assertion that you were lied to during the Brexit process. Both sides outlined their opinions and people voted on it. To insult 52% of the population by insinuating they were stupid and gullible is pathetic and it’s obviously just a shame we weren’t all as clever as you and the other EU sycophants on here. 

Prominent Leave campaigners repeatedly said we weren't going to leave the Single Market....

Edited by Cheese