Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England V Sweden

Marc505

• Site Supporter

Did anyone else get some dust in their eye during the piece looking back at the 1990 semi final and Sir Bobby?

Looked to me like even Jurgen was fighting back the tears.

Linekers face was a picture

Did anyone else get some dust in their eye during the piece looking back at the 1990 semi final and Sir Bobby?

Looked to me like even Jurgen was fighting back the tears.

Yeah, loved Bobby Robson, we were so close, what a manager and team.

I'd have been pissed up beyond belief by now in days gone by if what had happened today had happened then. :)

Just said the same to my Mrs.

I’m currently sat with a cup of tea watching the kids film home and the russia match on the wireless in the kitchen.

Not how I’d imagine celebrating reaching a World Cup semi a few years ago :D

Just said the same to my Mrs.

I’m currently sat with a cup of tea watching the kids film home and the russia match on the wireless in the kitchen.

Not how I’d imagine celebrating reaching a World Cup semi a few years ago :D

Indeed. Been playing netball in the garden with the nipper and her mate and now eating Ben and Jerrys ice cream. Rock n roll.

Wouldn't swap it for owt

Kicked their arses at netball by the way.

It's actually quite novel remembering goals and incidents and reactions and faces of players etc. Instead of just fuzzy recollections of the emotions of joy, rage, tension and sadness or elation (viewed through one eye - t'other shut to prevent '22 players 2 refs' syndrome) :)

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Site Supporter

I missed it.

The pilot provided updates. Clearly not the same, but the reaction on board at full time was unique and actually fucking brilliant.

Upside - I now have 4 days to sit in the sunshine preparing for the all dayer of a lifetime with 3 days tonrecover.

I

Fucking

Love

Football

I tell a lie, pissed up despite the early time, Ronaldinho's cross was burned into my retinas from the moment it happened...

Other incidents too...

Even when utterly fucked.

Aye I’d had no sleep for that Brazil game. Went straight to Devvy arms as I was barred from my local. Stayed out all day from 9am and ended up smashed off my tits In heaven and hell.

Sure that sportsman’s dinner at horwich was around the same time too.

• Moderators

No egos, no golden balls, no golden generation, no boy wonders.

A team.

first line, not sure, reckon the likes of Lingaard, Alli and Sterling could fall into some of those categories

however

second line, spot on, for some reason (probably the manager), this lot turn up for each other it seems

Aye I’d had no sleep for that Brazil game. Went straight to Devvy arms as I was barred from my local. Stayed out all day from 9am and ended up smashed off my tits In heaven and hell.

I'd watched it with mates at a house with loads of possibly the first 660ml ale - 3 Horses... We all walked into town for an all-dayer, me and another lad who'd never had much in common spent most of the day pissed upply berating the legend David Seaman for incompetence and being past it, and that he should've been brought off for Nigel Martyn (David James?) :) after he'd made some back breaking save...Odd logic making sense only to the terminally shitfaced.

Went back to The Brooklyn Hotel and crashed a wake and ate all the butties (with permission) :)

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Moderators

I seem to recall being up all night after that and watching germany smash saudi Arabia 8-0 early doors the morning after

My wife says this is the most drunk she’s seen me in the 12 years I’ve known each other. The fact I can’t decide between Henderson, Trippier, Maguire and Pickford as man of the match says a lot about how we performed today. Make no mistake, this is a proper team. And it’s the first then since 90 that I’be even half believed in an England team. What a day. What a year!

I seem to recall being up all night after that and watching germany smash saudi Arabia 8-0 early doors the morning after

Aye I think Ireland were on at some point too.

We were in some pub in bolton watching ani dance with a road sweeper.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.