Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Birmingham City Home

RUREADY2ROLL

agree with that

i cant see them setting up any different to how they did at the end of last season to be honest, theyre decent on the break and could potentially cause our back 4 problems.

Im more concerned that going off last season when we created absolutely nothing (especially when they had a man sent off) it could end up being the same story. So we could do with a bit more guile and creativity to start with rather than chucking him on later in the game when they can just sit in and protect whatever they have and we start to go (even more) direct 

One possibility is that his creative ability helps us open teams up. The other is that it leaves gaps in behind that plays into the hands of Birmingham who have pace on the break. A lot of the concern with our team is our back four has no pace. Getting Grounds and Wilson in might help as both look a bit more mobile than Beevers and Taylor. But can't see that happening tonight personally. When players run at us we struggle, which is why our midfield is designed to block holes to stop that. It is a tricky balance tonight I think. But as you say, we don't want a repeat of last season. I'd hope that having Magennis up front means we at least have a target as opposed to nothing to break them down with last time round. 

One possibility is that his creative ability helps us open teams up. The other is that it leaves gaps in behind that plays into the hands of Birmingham who have pace on the break. A lot of the concern with our team is our back four has no pace. Getting Grounds and Wilson in might help as both look a bit more mobile than Beevers and Taylor. But can't see that happening tonight personally. When players run at us we struggle, which is why our midfield is designed to block holes to stop that. It is a tricky balance tonight I think. But as you say, we don't want a repeat of last season. I'd hope that having Magennis up front means we at least have a target as opposed to nothing to break them down with last time round. 

We've still got the 2 in there though behind Oz

gets to the point where you start to think how many defensive minded players do you need which then sends the wrong message. 

particularly at home id prefer to give them someone else to worry about rather than focusing the majority of our attention on how we stop them. But that might just be me..

gets to the point where you start to think how many defensive minded players do you need which then sends the wrong message. 

particularly at home id prefer to give them someone else to worry about rather than focusing the majority of our attention on how we stop them. But that might just be me..

We need to get out of the mentality about worrying about the opposition at home (bar say a few of the bigger teams).  Visitors should be coming and worrying about us and what we are going to do !!

Vela's work is pressing. I worry that without that we end up being too open as whilst we have two sitting in there without the press it becomes tricky. It sort of is a difficult balance because clearly we need to have more technical options, yet I'm far from convinced that our fine margins game won't tip too far if we take Vela deeper and have less pressure on the ball. Having said that if it were me tonight I'd put Oztumer in, push Vela deeper. Buckley and Noone are intelligent enough to tuck in and offer cover when needed. Ameobi and Wildschut on the bench as gamechangers if needed. 

Having said that if it were me tonight I'd put Oztumer in, push Vela deeper. Buckley and Noone are intelligent enough to tuck in and offer cover when needed. Ameobi and Wildschut on the bench as gamechangers if needed. 

exactly, wide man can come narrow making 2 lines of 4 no problem

its ok (to a certain point) working out how to stop them and not exposing yourselves we then need to think about what we do with it when we have won it back. Id say Oztumer's ball retention and how he uses it is better than Vela's further up the field.

it then allows Buckley and Noone to support and again, give them something to worry about. instead of it coming straight back 

Vela's work is pressing. I worry that without that we end up being too open as whilst we have two sitting in there without the press it becomes tricky. It sort of is a difficult balance because clearly we need to have more technical options, yet I'm far from convinced that our fine margins game won't tip too far if we take Vela deeper and have less pressure on the ball. Having said that if it were me tonight I'd put Oztumer in, push Vela deeper. Buckley and Noone are intelligent enough to tuck in and offer cover when needed. Ameobi and Wildschut on the bench as gamechangers if needed.

Oztumer surprised me with how high his work rate was at Leeds. I thought he’d be a bit of a passenger when he first signed but it seemed from that game that he will contribute quite a lot off the ball, and as above his ball retention is a step above Vela’s.

• Moderators

Otzumer has to be in for Vela at some point at home, and quite happy to see Vela drop and replace Murphy, he can still do a pressing job from there with all his energy and movement and all that

I wonder if oz could find more space running from deep and so take away murphy or lowe instead and have vela up front pressing.

Not sure how that would fit with our structure. Keeping our shape seems to be number one priority a lot of the time, and not without some justification. If playing Oztumer then I think he'd have a lot more freedom if we kept the two holding midfielders to deal with any breaks, with Bristol City's equaliser being a case in point. I'm addition I've been quite impressed with O'Neil and Murphy and Lowe in particular.

Not sure how that would fit with our structure. Keeping our shape seems to be number one priority a lot of the time, and not without some justification. If playing Oztumer then I think he'd have a lot more freedom if we kept the two holding midfielders to deal with any breaks, with Bristol City's equaliser being a case in point. I'm addition I've been quite impressed with O'Neil and Murphy and Lowe in particular.

I think the Bristol City game is a good example. First half we did very little going forward. But Bristol City apart from a miss-hit cross that hit the bar created little also. When we pressed the game second half we scored two and conceded two. But hand on heart whilst at 2-0 we could have won it, at 2-2 we were lucky not to lose, they should really have scored that chance near the end. 

It is a conundrum. I don't think we've found the right balance at home yet and the fact we didn't play a home friendly probably contributes to that. 

• Site Supporter

Oztumer surprised me with how high his work rate was at Leeds. I thought he’d be a bit of a passenger when he first signed but it seemed from that game that he will contribute quite a lot off the ball, and as above his ball retention is a step above Vela’s.

From the highlights that were shown earlier of his Walsall goals, it seems clear that not only are his ball skills very good, but his ability to arrive into the box and pick up all manner of goals could be vital.

The one at Leeds was a perfect example and cooly taken.