Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

March 9th 1946

MickyD

As ever, BWFC folk will go about their remembrance in a quiet and respectful way and won't make a fuss

It won't make the mainstream media and there (hopefully) won't be any outpourings from grief monkeys apart from the odd Twittermong

RIP to those who never came home 

2 minutes ago, MickyD said:

A tragedy unnoticed by the rest of the footballing world; mainly due to our club not milking every drop of grief each year on the anniversary.

Absolutely spot on.Think most of us when we see pictures of this tradgedy,hold back a tear or 2 in our own private thoughts.We grieve alone but that is real,we don't want false public sympathy sympathy from those who don't love our club as we do.

Not forgotten in Bolton but the FA forgot about it and so did Sheffield  Wednesday Football Club.

I don't expect Assistant Chief Constable Bob Goslin did though when he was the officer in charge of safety at an FA Cup Semi-final at Hillsborough in 1981. Serious overcrowding at the Leppings Lane end resulted in ACC Goslin ordering the gates to the pitch to be opened to relieve the pressure and avoid the risk to  life.

Later his actions were heavily criticised by the chairman of Sheffield Wednesday. 'Bollocks there would have been no loss of life', said Mr McGee.

Eight years later, 96 Liverpool supporters lost their lives at Hillsborough with the responsible officer on the day now on trial for manslaughter.

If the name Goslin means nothing to you, its time it did:

https://spartacus-educational.com/BOLTONcgoslin.htm

Edited by Chris Custodiet

• Site Supporter

My Grandad (RIP) was at this game & told me how he walked home without his jacket (ripped off) & his shirt all torn. All the women were waiting at their front doors for their fellas, worried that theirs might not come home. Frightening stuff. It's amazing how little is heard about this disaster from the wider football world. Bless 'em.

2 hours ago, Steejay said:

My Grandad (RIP) was at this game & told me how he walked home without his jacket (ripped off) & his shirt all torn. All the women were waiting at their front doors for their fellas, worried that theirs might not come home. Frightening stuff. It's amazing how little is heard about this disaster from the wider football world. Bless 'em.

Mine too. Posted this before but he, like most in the crowd, didn’t know what had happened. In the days just after the war, massive attendances, and I mean really big, we’re the norm, especially if Matthews was playing, and big crowd surges on packed terraces were fairly normal and remarkably uneventful. He got off the bus or tram (whichever it was that ran) halfway up Chorley Old Road (I think) and there were loads of women waiting at each stop to check on husbands, sons, uncles, etc getting home safely. They’d heard about it whereas those at the match, in the main, had no idea and wondered what the fuss was about. Seems odd now in the days of instant news 

3 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

They put stuff out on social media but kept it low key

Maybe it’s “reverse snobbery” from me but happy with no wailing or gnashing of teeth, no “celebratory” clocks, gates, monuments or owt and no big media circus. A simple plaque and book. Those that know....know...and grieve and remember in their own way

Over the years BWFC and the fans have dealt with this disaster in a class way. No finger-pointing. No demands for action or media campaigns asking for everyone to remember it. Just a quiet remembrance of our own in our own way. Hope it stays like that tbh. Horrible day that doesn’t need highlighting, simply remembered

Well said 

23 hours ago, Chris Custodiet said:

Not forgotten in Bolton but the FA forgot about it and so did Sheffield  Wednesday Football Club.

I don't expect Assistant Chief Constable Bob Goslin did though when he was the officer in charge of safety at an FA Cup Semi-final at Hillsborough in 1981. Serious overcrowding at the Leppings Lane end resulted in ACC Goslin ordering the gates to the pitch to be opened to relieve the pressure and avoid the risk to  life.

Later his actions were heavily criticised by the chairman of Sheffield Wednesday. 'Bollocks there would have been no loss of life', said Mr McGee.

Eight years later, 96 Liverpool supporters lost their lives at Hillsborough with the responsible officer on the day now on trial for manslaughter.

If the name Goslin means nothing to you, its time it did:

https://spartacus-educational.com/BOLTONcgoslin.htm

What relation was Bob to Harry?