Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Meanwhile in Israel

wanderer1984

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, gonzo said:

We had children murdered at a music concert and all anyone did was light candles.

Our people barely go to work nevermind start civil wars.

What should people have done?

1 minute ago, Cheese said:

What should people have done?

Fuck all. I was replying to Boltys insinuation that we were on the verge of civil war.

If fuck all happened after kids were murdered or other kids were groomed and sexually abused then I doubt as a nation folk are arsed enough to start taking to the streets. 

1 minute ago, gonzo said:

Fuck all. I was replying to Boltys insinuation that we were on the verge of civil war.

If fuck all happened after kids were murdered or other kids were groomed and sexually abused then I doubt as a nation folk are arsed enough to start taking to the streets. 

People are just apathetic, outraged for a few weeks, then go back to not being that bothered and just a bit "meh" about these events when they happen.

As @gonzosays, fuck all will happen, even if the odd drama queen does think there is an impending civil war

2 hours ago, Zico said:

aye, and there's lots of anti government protests going on right now in the country

I suspect at the first opportunity Netanyahu will be voted out anyway

but to be clear about what I was saying, as far as this Israeli regime are concerned, it's got fuck all to do with the UK and we can ask for a ceasefire all we want, it won't make a jot of difference

and until he's voted out, he'll carry on

whether or not they invade Raffah, it won't be influenced by motions in the UK

so when Bobby asked what has it got to do with Chorley / UK, my answer was fuck all, because this Israeli regime is not interested in what we think

Aye mate

Would have to be a united nation approach 

Would be quite the statement if we stopped providing weapons & boycotted goods though.

• Site Supporter
Just now, Sweep said:

People are just apathetic, outraged for a few weeks, then go back to not being that bothered and just a bit "meh" about these events when they happen.

As @gonzosays, fuck all will happen, even if the odd drama queen does think there is an impending civil war

Civil war is one thing, and probably way off, if ever. 

Major civil disobedience isn't.

Every protest seems to be getting worse, and police have had to respond in Manchester. 

Hopefully, that will be a sign of improved policing, even if not in London. 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Aye mate

Would have to be a united nation approach 

Would be quite the statement if we stopped providing weapons & boycotted goods though.

Quite a statement that British aid is being air dropped by the Jordanian air force to points in Gaza.

Doesn't suit though, so it's barely mentioned. 

Quite some time ago, I made a point of not buying Israeli produce, in response to some of their people booting folk off their farms etc. 

Last week I made a point of buying some Israeli oranges. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

But obviously its clear I'm not talking about public protests in Chorley, I'm just taking issue with your contention that Israel doesn't care what the UK thinks. If powerful nations around the world call them out in their parliments then yes it does matter.

That includes all of the G8 nations, not just for the actual war but for the aftermath when it comes.

they should get a move on before any more innocents die then

been 4 months now

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Which as has been pointed out because of funding, the way nation politics work, economies and dipolmacy is wrong. Of course we not the US who are the most powerful nation in the world, but to say its got'fuck all' to do with us is flipant nonsense.

I'm just paraphrasing what I think Netanyahu is thinking 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68419865

Mr Netanyahu said that, since the beginning of the conflict, he has been leading a campaign "countering international pressure to end the war ahead of time and mobilise support for Israel."

i.e. he's not listening, he doesn't care what we think

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Parliaments all over have urged restraint or called for a cease-fire. 

We don't know what level of effect that will have had; it may have been worse without such diplomatic pressure.

none

read that link

he's having none of it

he's telling us he beleives he has support and that encourages him to carry on to see it through to a "complete victory"

Biden is talking about a ceasefire

Netanyahu is talking about invading Raffah, even if there is a ceaserfire agreement in place, and for added effect he might do it during ramadan

read below and then tell me he's holding back or that he cares about pressure from other goverments

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/25/world/middleeast/israel-gaza-rafah.html

Israeli Forces Will Move Into Rafah, Cease-Fire Deal or Not, Netanyahu Says

Amid signs of progress toward a pause in the fighting, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israeli forces planned to keep pushing into Gaza.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Sunday that Israeli forces would push into the southern Gaza Strip city of Rafah regardless of the outcome of talks to pause the fighting that appear to have been making some progress in recent days.

“It has to be done,” the Israeli prime minister said. “Because total victory is our goal, and total victory is within reach.”

Mr. Netanyahu did say that if a cease-fire deal was reached, the move into Rafah, which during 20 weeks of war has served as a last refuge for hundreds of thousands of Gazan families forced from their homes, would be “delayed somewhat.”

The push toward Rafah has drawn warnings from Israel’s closest ally, the United States, because of the potential for mass civilian casualties beyond the nearly 30,000 Gazans who have already been reported killed in the war, more than half of whom are women and children.

Mr. Netanyahu, speaking on the CBS News program “Face the Nation,” said Sunday that he believed that Israel would be “weeks away” from total victory once the Rafah operation began.

Israeli officials have said that the battle for Rafah could take place during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which is expected to begin during the second week of March. Ramadan has been a critical moment for tensions between Israelis and Palestinians over the years.

Jordan’s foreign minister, Ayman Safadi, warned in a press briefing on Sunday of “catastrophic” consequences if fighting continued in Gaza during Ramadan. Al Jazeera quoted him as saying it “will place the entire region at the risk of an explosion.”

The Israeli government has come under intense criticism from neighbors and allies alike for the breadth of death and destruction in Gaza as it has prosecuted its war against Hamas in retaliation for the militant-led Oct. 7 attacks which killed a reported 1,200 people in Israel. Mr. Netanyahu said Sunday that the Israeli military had defied predictions and warnings from the “best of friends” at the outset of the war, an apparent reference to U.S. officials.

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Civil war is one thing, and probably way off, if ever. 

Major civil disobedience isn't.

Every protest seems to be getting worse, and police have had to respond in Manchester. 

Hopefully, that will be a sign of improved policing, even if not in London. 

Protests are generally full of loons, students, paupers and the great unwashed anyway, as @bolty58says, get the water cannons and cattle prods out :)

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Zico said:

none

read that link

he's having none of it

he's telling us he beleives he has support and that encourages him to carry on to see it through to a "complete victory"

Biden is talking about a ceasefire

Netanyahu is talking about invading Raffah, even if there is a ceaserfire agreement in place, and for added effect he might do it during ramadan

read below and then tell me he's holding back or that he cares about pressure from other goverments

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/25/world/middleeast/israel-gaza-rafah.html

Israeli Forces Will Move Into Rafah, Cease-Fire Deal or Not, Netanyahu Says

Amid signs of progress toward a pause in the fighting, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israeli forces planned to keep pushing into Gaza.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Sunday that Israeli forces would push into the southern Gaza Strip city of Rafah regardless of the outcome of talks to pause the fighting that appear to have been making some progress in recent days.

“It has to be done,” the Israeli prime minister said. “Because total victory is our goal, and total victory is within reach.”

Mr. Netanyahu did say that if a cease-fire deal was reached, the move into Rafah, which during 20 weeks of war has served as a last refuge for hundreds of thousands of Gazan families forced from their homes, would be “delayed somewhat.”

The push toward Rafah has drawn warnings from Israel’s closest ally, the United States, because of the potential for mass civilian casualties beyond the nearly 30,000 Gazans who have already been reported killed in the war, more than half of whom are women and children.

Mr. Netanyahu, speaking on the CBS News program “Face the Nation,” said Sunday that he believed that Israel would be “weeks away” from total victory once the Rafah operation began.

Israeli officials have said that the battle for Rafah could take place during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which is expected to begin during the second week of March. Ramadan has been a critical moment for tensions between Israelis and Palestinians over the years.

Jordan’s foreign minister, Ayman Safadi, warned in a press briefing on Sunday of “catastrophic” consequences if fighting continued in Gaza during Ramadan. Al Jazeera quoted him as saying it “will place the entire region at the risk of an explosion.”

The Israeli government has come under intense criticism from neighbors and allies alike for the breadth of death and destruction in Gaza as it has prosecuted its war against Hamas in retaliation for the militant-led Oct. 7 attacks which killed a reported 1,200 people in Israel. Mr. Netanyahu said Sunday that the Israeli military had defied predictions and warnings from the “best of friends” at the outset of the war, an apparent reference to U.S. officials.

World Leaders say a lot of things in public that they word differently in private. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's a ceasefire soon due to external political pressure.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Cheese said:

World Leaders say a lot of things in public that they word differently in private. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's a ceasefire soon due to external political pressure.

and I wouldn't be surprised if he invades Raffah during Ramadan

I would be surprised, as TMGJ has suggested, that he may have held back a bit so far due to diplomatic pressure

• Members
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Parliaments all over have urged restraint or called for a cease-fire. 

We don't know what level of effect that will have had; it may have been worse without such diplomatic pressure.

It will have had an effect but I don't think any nation on Earth can persuade Israel to agree to a ceasefire unless Israel itself decides the circumstances are right

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, Traf said:

I think some serious shit might hit the fan if that happens.

They have previous for stirring up tensions at this time 

Been talk of not letting Muslims go to the mosque in Jerusalem which they know will cause trouble and they've been warned by Hamas and the US not too 

If they are allowed I'm sure it won't pass off peacefully

5 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Last week I made a point of buying some Israeli oranges. 

Ahhh so now we know what you've been doing recently to make you such a hard man. 

Us soft cunts welcome this advice. 

Which supermarket stocks the Israeli ones? 

For what it's worth, I'm not sure boycotting is the answer here. I'm just making the point that there's plenty the UK can do to make a statement. 

You're right about the aid by the way. 

2 hours ago, Winchester White said:

Unconfirmed reports of the IDF killing over a hundred trying to get aid from trucks. All reporting is a bit over the place because Israel won't allow journalists into Gaza so it could be bollocks.

Sounds like a combination from different accounts. Desperate Palestinians, then the IDF fired on the crowd, aid truck was overwhelmed and the workers were at risk and scared of the gunfire so drove away. Killing folk in the process. Harrowing scenes. 

Most of which stems from Israel's collective punishment and starvation of millions of people, who are resorting to grinding down animal feed to survive. You'd be acting the same way every time a lone aid van came in. 

Edited by London Wanderer