Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Football Ventures

Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

He's mentioned on the twitter thread below the article.

A wealthy fella from Bolton apparently, who donated money to Bolton school.

Got in on the 11 plus scholarship. 

The one that labour abolished, and are working on trying to cease the newer version. 

Helped loads of young people over the years,  me and my brothers included  

But that's for the politics thread. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

In principle I think it’s great. Most companies will reward their key management with some shares in order to really get them bought in and align to medium/longer term goals.

I don’t know for sure but I’d imagine it’s rare in football for the manager to be given shares, mainly because they aren’t often around long enough to contribute to a medium or long term plan that ends in a sale that they could benefit from but also because clubs rarely make profits which can be paid out as dividends and therefore it’s a bit of a pointless remuneration incentive.

In our case, I think it proves that Evatt buys into Sharon’s vision for the club, I think it shows that he believes it’s possible, there will have to be clauses in there to either buy them back or for him to give them up if he leaves or is sacked (he can’t still have them if he goes somewhere else due to the conflict of interest) - it’s also a clever way of Sharon to reward him without just paying out more cash and protects us from losing him to a club that will just pay him slightly more money (as he’d likely stand to lose too much from having to give the shares back).

I’m sure others will find potential negatives but from my perspective this is another example of Sharon being a very shrewd businesswoman.

He could in theory still hold the shares even if he left and joined another club.

44 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

He could in theory still hold the shares even if he left and joined another club.

In theory, he could. I’d be amazed if that was a possibility though. I would think it’s the case that if he leaves under his own accord - I.e. chooses to go to a different club - he will surrender the shares and they go back to the club / Sharon, whereas if we sack him there will be some form of settlement which might be pre agreed in his contract, and again the shares go back to the club / Sharon.

The more I think about it, the more it’s genius from Sharon. She’s picked her man, she has full faith that he will take us forward and she probably realises that the better he does the more chance there is of him being poached. We can’t offer wages that would scare off the likes of West Brom or Norwich just as an example, so instead he’s now got 2% of the club (and possibly is part of an incentive structure that sees him get more the higher we go). If he truly believes that he can get us to the Prem then based on some of the stupid numbers that kick about at that level, his 2% would become worth more than a couple of grand a week more in wages that others would offer.

If there is anything made of this, I would think it will be more from the fact that it’s a rarity in football, rather than how it actually works in reality.

5 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Surely your work as Rivington Pike earned you a few quid?

Nah, I got shafted on the film rights and Barbara Cartland's estate threatened to sue. Bastards. I'd had high hopes for getting DiCaprio and Winslet to do this one:

gallery_7_32_52981.jpg

"Oh Mr Darcy", she gasped, "Would you be so kind as to tend to my gash now"

"Bingo, I'm in at last"

"Look, there it is on my wrist - it's rather deep I fear, but it serves me right for pruning the roses today"

"Oh bollocks"

3 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Possibly, but when I got "B" shares in my old company, I had to sign something that said I'd relinquish them should I choose to leave (which I did), I'd be shocked if there isn't something similar in place here. Maybe, he was given them as a reward for promotion, as we certainly wouldn't be in a position to chuck out any major bonuses at that time

8 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Not you, a certain wheelchair bound individual, renowned for his intellect and "appearances" on wanderers videos.

Ah, gotcha. Yeh, very few got access to the great man, though I suspect that later he regretted the 4 or 5 videos he did for me. Indeed, he tried to sue as well. Cuntshuggeler!

• 4 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, globaldiver said:

Sampson describes Waters as antisemitic to your rotten core. Also a Putin apologist and a lying, thieving, hypocritical, tax-avoiding, lip-synching,misogynistic, sick-with-envy, megalomaniac.

So, really, missing out on your share of £400m (not a ¼ in Mason's case) maybe we'll worth the bother. It's not like the sum will drop to £zero, nor that Time (it's a gas) won't correct all this.

20 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Sampson describes Waters as antisemitic to your rotten core. Also a Putin apologist and a lying, thieving, hypocritical, tax-avoiding, lip-synching,misogynistic, sick-with-envy, megalomaniac.

So, really, missing out on your share of £400m (not a ¼ in Mason's case) maybe we'll worth the bother. It's not like the sum will drop to £zero, nor that Time (it's a gas) won't correct all this.

Perhaps he’ll sell a few cars instead?!

• 1 month later...