Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Chess - Who Plays?

Youri McAnespie

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Do you have one? Then zip it, mouth. You did music ffs, did you have to play 'My Girl' to pass. Just because you pissed off to a London hovel doesn't mean folk who remained here eat out dustbins and gnaw on bones. Some of the thickest fuckers ever were from London. They usually end up getting stabbed at the Notting Hill Carnival - Darwinism in effect.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

I learned something the other day.

My s-i-l (not as much as she used to) and her chap were at Cambridge. Apparently, after graduation, so long as they keep their nose clean after graduation, they get awarded an MA after 12 months.

What a bag o wank that is.

Chess is more honest.

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣

I learned something the other day.

My s-i-l (not as much as she used to) and her chap were at Cambridge. Apparently, after graduation, so long as they keep their nose clean after graduation, they get awarded an MA after 12 months.

What a bag o wank that is.

Chess is more honest.

Getting a Master's involves wanking into a sock watching Countdown and sending that in.

8 minutes ago, Zico said:

Chess is like squash 

Great to play against someone who is on the same level as you 

But if they are better / more experienced you may as well bend over and let them stick their rook up your arse

My missus learned from her dad who built up his game during WW2, he flew 50 missions in Lancasters and like many of them he passed the daylight hours looking for things like chess to take his mind off things. He virtually bullied her into continuous games when she was a teenager and then one day the penny dropped and she beat him.  I was well behind when we first met but I wouldn't let her have the bragging rights so stuck at it until I beat her and now we are as you say, pretty equal.

21 minutes ago, Zico said:

Chess is like squash 

But if they are better / more experienced you may as well bend over and let them stick their rook up your arse

I’ve got a set in the loft that my mum gave me. Used to be on display in a cabinet when I was a kid. White and red and all carved like Manchurian soldiers with swords and horses, etc. Might be ivory. Think they date from the early 1900s. Would love to have a game with them but no fucking way am I playing Mrs Manc. Her uncle taught her and he was some high level player. No way am I giving her an excuse to ram summat up my arse. Fucker wouldn’t stop at the rook either the mentalist

1 minute ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I sometimes think about taking it up but it feels like it'd take a huge amount of time and effort just to get to the level where I'd not be shite at it.

It’s Like golf and lots of other games. The basics and simple. 
Mastering it is something else. 

Like other games, if you enjoy playing for the sake of playing, good. That’s how all games should be. Win or lose.

Thats not how it goes though.

• Site Supporter

Play chess quote often. Quite an aggressive player. Used to enjoy playing against the kids at work, as they got quite competitive..

Take out their bishops first as I struggle to track them. I'll also happily sacrifice my queen for theirs. 

There's an app "chess.com" I think which is pretty fun. 

• Site Supporter

Played quite a bit in lockdown with one of my sons who got quite into it from that. 
normality took over again now and not played at all really now we’re back at work / football training etc which is a shame because it was enjoyable 

2 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Not played a game in six years until yesterday - played some American and waxed him 3-0 - he didn't know how to use his rooks or knights, I always think I'll be shite next time so don't play much.

Beat my science teacher in 5 moves 

The cunt

1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

Or being a graduate at Oxbridge. 

I went to Scumbag College and hand those speccy jumper twats on University Challenge their arses every week. King clown Defeffal went to Eton and Oxford he has the intellect of a bag of chips and is advised by his child bride young enough to be his daughter.

2 hours ago, Dimron said:

My missus learned from her dad who built up his game during WW2, he flew 50 missions in Lancasters and like many of them he passed the daylight hours looking for things like chess to take his mind off things. He virtually bullied her into continuous games when she was a teenager and then one day the penny dropped and she beat him.  I was well behind when we first met but I wouldn't let her have the bragging rights so stuck at it until I beat her and now we are as you say, pretty equal.

Had a mate who went to Woodside School and was very rebellious as a youth who was fabulous at chess, which he learned doing time.  I never saw him get beat.

15 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Love a board game afternoon with the kids on cold winter sundays.

We have a version of Monopoly called Cheaters Edition, where if you are not caught cheating, its all good.

Aye we always take them away with us if we do a cabin type break. Youngest is genius at Blackjack as well. Weekends are that stacked couldn't even dream of it back home.

47 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Aye we always take them away with us if we do a cabin type break. Youngest is genius at Blackjack as well. Weekends are that stacked couldn't even dream of it back home.

Its mainly because we don't have the kids all the time so I do like to carve out some time over the weekend to do something together. 

Last week - candle making! Made the house smell of soap.

17 hours ago, Zico said:

Chess is like squash 

I think it is best if you are marginally the better player, but only just so you both realise when you win.

A good mate of mine plays a very high standard I played him once but I just can not concentrate on all the pieces all the time. I do follow a you tube channel that is interesting if you like chess. 

20 minutes ago, Ani said:

I think it is best if you are marginally the better player, but only just so you both realise when you win.

A good mate of mine plays a very high standard I played him once but I just can not concentrate on all the pieces all the time. I do follow a you tube channel that is interesting if you like chess. 

Can't be that smart if he wears his shirt inside out