Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Social Media

London Wanderer

• Site Supporter
26 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Its a scourge of society is social media and we are no better with it than we were before. But its not going anywhere so its probably better to eductate kids on it, properly in schools as part of the curriculum which I presume it already is of sorts.

Attempts are made to educate..its pretty much an impossible task.

Parents don't care, a lot want the easy life. We gave kids walking round school with phones in hands, taking pics and making videos. It's pretty shocking. Parents messaging and ringing kids during lessons. 

Huge impact on learning too.

4 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

Parents don't care, a lot want the easy life. We gave kids walking round school with phones in hands, taking pics and making videos. It's pretty shocking. Parents messaging and ringing kids during lessons. 

Can they not use software or hardware to block signals during lessons or even better all phones off during class?

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

My eldest left school last year and my youngest started high school this year, different schools. Both had/have complete phone bans during school time.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

My eldest left school last year and my youngest started high school this year, different schools. Both had/have complete phone bans during school time.

One I'm at just turn a blind eye to it. Loads are strict, only way to do it. But kids are straight on as soon as they leave 

I got bullied at school for about six months, dreaded going in everyday and it affected me a lot, but when the school day ended and I was at home I was and felt safe.

Now it’s 24/7 and no respite for kids going through it, and it reaches far more sheep who jump on the bullying band wagon hiding behind a screen.  I have no idea how kids cope with it and something needs to be done.

Luckily my kids are now adults and came through those years fairly unscathed.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, gonzo said:

Such a tricky issue.

Its alright nobs saying kids shouldn't have phones or access to SM but try telling an 11 year old in year 7 he cant have a phone or be on Snapchat like every other kid in school. 

Aye 

My daughter is 4 

She has a tablet which we let her watch cbbc on

She found out about YouTube 

She loves watching harmless videos on YouTube of kids playing with Disney princesses Lego and stuff 

But take it off her and it's nuclear war  

This is only the beginning  

I want her to embrace technology 

I don't expect her to be playing with a spinning top 

But it's a worry how quick they want to move on to the next thing

18 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I think this could be a hugely important ruling. Could it open the door for these companies being sued for not protecting users?

I hope they get destroyed in court and if they can't find a way to get kids off such toxic sites and information then they should disappear for ever. Fucking stain on society.

This is where I'm at with it mate.

Met a couple of pastoral teachers on the training, both from different schools. 

Both said they'd had all the latest anti - bullying and mental health awareness training for kids in school. But that it's made little difference. Said they're still getting up to a dozen kids with suicidal ideations on a weekly basis. Staggering. 

Even if they take the content offline. I still don't think it's a safe space for young teens. Developmentally as well. We all said and heard shit at school when we were younger, but at least in most cases we could go home and get away from it all. There seems to be no escape now.

@wiggysorry to hear about your daughter's first year.. sounds awful, hope she's doing okay now. 

Edited by London Wanderer

A lad was found dead in his bedroom on herons reach in Blackpool the other week. Said in paper simply "found unresponsive".

Turns out it was another one of these tiktok dare things.

Fuck me now that is scary shit.

My lads been pestering us for tiktok for ages, no chance for now.

12 hours ago, MickyD said:

Two mid-ranking fire officers were recently sacked due to social media. A small group involving the whole watch enjoyed a bit of banter using WhatsApp. All was going well, no bother, plenty of what I’d describe as dark humour or gallows humour. This had always been a coping mechanism following harrowing incidents; get back to station, make sure all your kit is cleaned and ready for further use then all upstairs for a brew and a chat, often making light of someone else’s bad luck or even demise. It was quite easy to make light of these things. After all, it wasn’t us in that hospital bed or mortuary.

Many years later and following the introduction of SM, these chats were going on over weeks and during time off. Sometimes on the edge of acceptable or damned unacceptable.

Anyway, someone was under investigation by HR about an alleged racist comment. If he’d stood there denying it ever happened he may have got a verbal or at worst, a written warning. Instead of keeping schtum, however, he got his phone out of his pocket and told the investigation, “If I’m getting done for my comments, take a look on this WhatsApp group, things on here are much worse!

The two guys getting sacked didn’t actually join in the ‘bantz’ but, as officers, they were guilty of doing nothing about some of the objectionable stuff written down and now used as irrefutable evidence.

What a twat!

During my last few years I left Facebook and just hoped to fuck nobody ever heard of Wanderersways.com.

Know one of the lads who got sacked and watching it unravel even from a distance was food for thought re social media use in general and at work specifically where we had already had someone sacked for basically slagging a boss off in a private message.

On 30/09/2022 at 22:41, Zico said:

Aye 

My daughter is 4 

She has a tablet which we let her watch cbbc on

She found out about YouTube 

She loves watching harmless videos on YouTube of kids playing with Disney princesses Lego and stuff 

But take it off her and it's nuclear war  

This is only the beginning  

I want her to embrace technology 

I don't expect her to be playing with a spinning top 

But it's a worry how quick they want to move on to the next thing

Me and the missus took the iPads away from them when they were about 6 They only come out now for long car journeys or flights oh and some spelling competition the eldest does for school. They kicked off for about a week or so and that was it? They very rarely ask for them. They do watch a lot of YouTube but to be honest some of it is good and I’ll end up watching it. (Has anyone seen the tribesman men who build buildings in the jungle)

Back to the ipad, on my lads 7th birthday he had a party at home, one of his mates turned up with his iPad, I asked his dad what was that for “oh he needs his fix now and then” told him to take it home it’s a kids party and will end up broke, fuck me the kid has a full on melt down, who takes a fkin iPad to a kids party? 

• Site Supporter
22 minutes ago, royal white said:

(Has anyone seen the tribesman men who build buildings in the jungle)

If you're talking about the ones who make swimming pools and use pipes to re-route rivers through forests etc. - they're all staged fakes.

21 hours ago, royal white said:

Me and the missus took the iPads away from them when they were about 6 They only come out now for long car journeys or flights oh and some spelling competition the eldest does for school. They kicked off for about a week or so and that was it? They very rarely ask for them. They do watch a lot of YouTube but to be honest some of it is good and I’ll end up watching it. (Has anyone seen the tribesman men who build buildings in the jungle)

Back to the ipad, on my lads 7th birthday he had a party at home, one of his mates turned up with his iPad, I asked his dad what was that for “oh he needs his fix now and then” told him to take it home it’s a kids party and will end up broke, fuck me the kid has a full on melt down, who takes a fkin iPad to a kids party? 

That making stuff on the jungle thing is amazing! I though it was just me (ahem) I mean I thought it was just out lad that watched that! 😁

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, kent_white said:

That making stuff on the jungle thing is amazing! I though it was just me (ahem) I mean I thought it was just out lad that watched that! 😁

It's completely fake. They film little snippets of lads digging, then do the actual work with mechanical diggers.

Edited by Cheese