Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

10 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

So confusion reins yet again 

group of people in Carlisle have all tested positive and all visited a series of pubs in the town at some point on a given day. 

Anyone that’s been in either of the pubs on those days Are being told to organize a test immediately. Which is completely against what the websites say should happen. They should isolate and get a test if symptoms only. 

They wonder why folk don’t know if they are coming or going 4/10

To be honest that’s exactly the way it should be.

Just telling folk to sit on their arse at home for 14 days just in case is bollox. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Escobarp said:

group of people in Carlisle have all tested positive and all visited a series of pubs in the town at some point on a given day. 

Anyone that’s been in either of the pubs on those days Are being told to organize a test immediately. Which is completely against what the websites say should happen. They should isolate and get a test if symptoms only. 

For that reason I'd get a test

But if we're going to try and get out of lockdown and moving back to normal, isolation isn't helpful in terms of "just in case"

The website probably hasn't been updated

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Escobarp said:

I would hazard a guess that its perhaps the local public health people putting in place more stringent measures to help whack the mole quickly. 

Also important not to test folk too quickly after potentially being in contact with an infected person as they may still test negative. 

Either that, or test them more than once.

Going off what has happened at work after you've been tested and got a negative result you get told to wait 2 days and if you've no symptoms crack on. At least a couple of them had a test, got a negative, waited a few days and then gone for another.

I've got mixed feelings about the testing, part of me can't help feel it's just pissing more money away unnecessarily.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

But if we're going to try and get out of lockdown and moving back to normal, isolation isn't helpful in terms of "just in case"

If you check the dates, it says it has

2 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

I agree. We’ve got capacity to test. For me if you get contacted by a contact tracer. Isolate for 2/3 days and then get tested. If negative crack on and back to work. 

Advice definitely was to isolate for two weeks regardless of whether you get a negative test. That's if you have no symptoms. If you have symptoms, then if you test negative you can crack on whenever you feel better.

Realistically I'd be shocked if anyone was actually doing that.

1 hour ago, Tombwfc said:

Advice definitely was to isolate for two weeks regardless of whether you get a negative test. That's if you have no symptoms. If you have symptoms, then if you test negative you can crack on whenever you feel better.

Realistically I'd be shocked if anyone was actually doing that.

So anybody with half a brain would present with ‘symptoms’, get the all clear and get on with stuff. 

Well that’s what I’d be doing rather than feeling fine and sitting in my arse for 14 days. 

Have as much fun as you can this summer.

Is COVID-19 worse in winter?

July 22, 2020

An international collaboration of researchers from Europe and China has shown that temperature and humidity in the environment have an effect on the severity of COVID-19 symptoms.

Comparing outcomes from more than 40,000 COVID-19 patients over the course of the pandemic suggests that the disease is more severe in colder months than warmer ones, and that dry indoor air may encourage the spread of the disease.

Many viruses show seasonal incidence and are more common during the colder winter months, but it is not yet known whether SARS-CoV-2, the novel coronavirus responsible for COVID-19, follows a similar pattern. Previous studies have shown that viral transmission appears to decrease as temperature and humidity rise, suggesting a seasonal pattern, but the results are inconsistent. 

In this study, researchers analysed data from nearly 7,000 patients admitted to hospital with COVID-19 in Croatia, Spain, Italy, Finland, Poland, Germany, the UK and China.

Mapping this information against local temperature and estimated indoor humidity revealed that severe COVID-19 outcomes (hospitalisation, admittance to ICU or need for ventilation) decreased in most European countries over the course of the pandemic, covering the transition from winter to early summer. 

There was also a corresponding decrease in the rate of deaths (mortality) from the disease, with a roughly 15% drop in mortality for every one degree Celsius rise in temperature. By contrast, the severity of symptoms and mortality rate remained constant in China during the first wave of the pandemic, which occurred solely throughout the winter.

Analysis of data from more than 37,000 UK users of the nearly four million using the COVID Symptom Study app reporting symptoms consistent with COVID-19 showed a similar decrease in the severity of reported symptoms from March through May as UK temperatures rose.

These changes were too large to be explained by improvements in treatment of COVID-19, patient age or hospitals becoming overwhelmed during this time, suggesting that there is a seasonal influence on the virus. 

Although SARS-CoV-2 can clearly spread in hot, humid countries in East Asia, it is notable that the severity and mortality from the disease have been lower than in Europe and other more temperate climates. 

The researchers suggest that indoor heating during the winter months may also contribute to the spread of the disease by drying out the protective mucus barrier within the nose and airways, making viral infection easier. Additionally, very dry indoor environments created by air conditioning in hot countries (such as in the Southern US) could also contribute to the severity of the disease - a hypothesis that needs further investigation.

“Our findings point to a role for seasonality in the transmission and severity of COVID-19, and also argue for increased humidity and hydration as a way to combat the virus,” said Dr Gordan Lauc, Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at the University of Zagreb and honorary visiting Professor at King’s College London and senior author of the study. “This paints a grim picture for the next winter in Europe when more severe “winter” COVID-19 is expected to return - something we are currently observing in the southern hemisphere.”  

COVID Symptom Study lead Professor Tim Spector from King’s College London added, “This study highlights the importance of gathering long-term data about the incidence, symptoms and progression of COVID-19 from as many people as possible. By understanding the many factors that contribute to the severity and spread of the disease, we can implement effective measures to control it over the coming months.”

A paper detailing the results is available online as a pre-print, and has been submitted to a scientific journal for rapid peer review and publication.

https://covid.joinzoe.com/post/weather-covid

Lets hope we have a mild one - bring on the global warming.

There's a new treatment that looks like it could help, Beta Inteferon from Southampton Uni.

Normally, viraly infected cells produce interferon proteins - a signalling mechanism that causes nearby cells to improve their anti-viral defences.

Covid is a twat because it hinders this normal process. 

Beta inteferon is bascially a supplement of the interferon proteins, inhaled, so it goes stright to the cells in the lungs.

Supossedly makes symptoms much less severe, reducing illness duration and preventing deaths - they've done the 2nd phase of testing (small sample of hospitalised patients, half with a placebo), onto the third soon, which will be randomised, with a larger sample, so we will see if the results are the same.

We've got the plasma programme, the app (one day!), social distancing, masks, local lockdowns, so hopefully that will make a big difrerence.

I'm making sure I'm as fit and strong as possible. Vitamins, healthy living. 

• Site Supporter

Interesting that peely. Goes back to earlier stuff regarding moisture in the air and aerosols of covid breath. 

A massive rush on humidifiers to come?

Dry air in better sealed homes homes is also associated with other things like asthma.

Can only be hoped that the message about isolating to prevent outbreaks holds firm. If fewer catch it then no increased severity to worry about. 

• Site Supporter

Not sure a public enquiry is much use whilst the event is still ongoing. Needs to be done later to be comprehensive. 

That's entirely different to learning from mistakes and new evidence and changing procedures as necessary. 

More comparisons and unnecessary point scoring in an article though. No one's perfect in all this.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Spider said:

So

Would it be reasonable for the UK to be taking Spain off the so called safe list or should we wait a few more weeks