Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wycombe (A)

radcliffe white

'KInell! There must be  acid in the water in Wycombe.

Usually when I visit opposition fan sites I get the usual "think they're a big club/rich club/dickhead fans" abuse, but it's a bit of a Bolton love in at Wycombe, God bless 'em.

First of all they start off the game thread with some affectionately received classic Dave Higson commentaries including:

- there were a few of them ending with the 2013 tribute film....

Then ....

I really like Bolton, in large part down to two of my best mates being Bolton fans, but also Higson, and their attitude isn't one of big club arrogance. They seem to enjoy being the underdogs thumbing the nose at bigger neighbours in Manchester and Liverpool. Out of our playoff rivals, if we don't succeed I hope they do. Hope we win 9 nil on Saturday though obvs!

I like Bolton, real fans!

Owned by a Beaconsfield family who love the club and have changed things dramatically since they took over.

They also sponsor our home end.

Is that right? Thought Shazza was a Burnley lass? And FV sponsor and end at the Wycombe ground?

The sons are both Wycombe supporters.

Really? Or is everyone in Wycombe off their tits? Maybe it's true?

Whatever, it's one of the friendliest opposition fan site I've been on and it's really hard to dislike them. FWIW most are predicting it'll either be a draw or we'll win.

Edited by Wanderlust

Tbf I guess a lot of us won’t ever forget how much Wycombe looked after us when we went down there on the opening day with the team of kids, not knowing if we were ever going to play again.

That said, it’s bloody hard to like them sometimes when we’ve played against them when they’ve kicked us about a bit. You can certainly see why Ainsworth knows how to get them out of this division. Similarly, he seems a really likeable bloke whenever he’s on telly and is very much a break from the mould, but again knows every trick in the book in terms of those little extra 1%s that make all the difference. 

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Traf said:

The Brittan boys own a cosmetic dental practice in Beaconsfield (not far from where Vernon Kay lives/lived) and the sponsor an end at their local club. 

https://whitesbeaconsfield.co.uk/ 

Vernon was in star act in the panto in Wycombe last year as well   

Might as well be twin towns 

55 minutes ago, Big E said:

I hope we dish out another dicking. Goal difference could be the difference for a home leg 2nd. 

is there space for flags there?

Anytime I'm wondering what the set up is for flags I search for "fans at ****" on twitter and photos of away followings at that ground will come up.

Looking at Wycombe, seems like they have you putting flags across the seats in un used blocks.

• Site Supporter

Looking forward to this. Early start down to the Premier Inn Saturday. Bite to eat for brekky in town, that nice ale house where I saw @Biggish Davelast year, before the trek to the stadium. Back out on in town for the evening.

I’m changing my mind, been by persuaded by the consensus on here, stick with the back 5 and a Bradley run out in 2nd half in preparation for Accy next week. 

Still think Lee will come in for Victor with Shoretire pushed up front

33 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Anytime I'm wondering what the set up is for flags I search for "fans at ****" on twitter and photos of away followings at that ground will come up.

Looking at Wycombe, seems like they have you putting flags across the seats in un used blocks.

Yes I’m sad enough to look out for this thing and when Derby sold out there the other week (cos they’re massive, obvs) they had flags all across the front barriers just behind the advert boards

15 minutes ago, Ani said:

I was the same boy Yoof and I both tested positive for the China  Virus this week. Packed train back from Peterboro being blamed. 

It's like this. I have no desire to ever go to Wycombe again, but I don't want to miss the next game we play.

Heart says go.
Head says no.
Wallet says absofuckinglutely not. Even driving there will cost me about £90 inc tickets for the two of us and I've got Junior's 18th looming next month.

Wycombe is right up there with the shittest of away days IMO.

I’m on holiday but even if I wasn’t  I’m honest enough to say I wouldn’t be going.

Fair play to anyone who is though because it’s been an expensive few weeks & Accy/Pompey to come before the month is out……..