Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pre-Season

desperado

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Enjoyed that. Looked a bit intimidated early doors but really grew in to it and we were the better side for the most part. Williams was superb. Thomason did well when he came on, too. 

You sure about that- he was fucking woeful further up! 🤣

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, W.cramp said:

He lost the ball twice in a bad place and they should have scored from one of them

I watched a couple of minutes via a link on this thread.

In that time, our players gave it away on many occasions. 

Seems one rule for the kid and one for the others, and an unbalanced view of his play in comparison to others.

Sometimes a player actually trying to get the ball moving will make an obvious error.

Rather that than someone hiding and simply knocking it backwards continually. 

He's not a world beater, but then again, none of them are.

• Site Supporter
20 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Seems one rule for the kid and one for the others, and an unbalanced view of his play in comparison to others.

Sometimes a player actually trying to get the ball moving will make an obvious error.

I think what happened last night was he came on late into a game where Everton’s young lads were harrying and pressing the CDM area very quickly, he got caught a couple of times. 

Funnily enough Sheehan started similarly, but then grew into one of the best players on the pitch. By the time he went off, Sheehan had become very composed, efficient and calm In possession and in comparison George looked a bit cold.

So you have a point it’s one rule for one, one for another.

But in true GT fashion, he never stopped hiding, pressing or showing for the ball and he actually finished the half strongly, with some good break up play and nice passing which created a couple of chances towards the end.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, W.cramp said:

For anybody who went last night,   are these 2 new fancy screens up ?

No

We had the same confusing conversation, I thought they’d been set up and turned around??!!

3 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Tis a dear this football lark isnt it. When will it all end?

For me and the two lads its £50-£60 each home game if you want a bevvy and some food. 

Kin ell, that would have been ace.....

1 hour ago, desperado said:

Are they injured, or were they rested? 

Iwobi was excellent last night. Couldn’t work out whether he was right midfield, defender or WB!?

We all see things differently, I thought he was awful!  Acres of space several times and did nothing to punish us, wanted too long on the ball.  Its always been a real mystery to me how he's got a career in the Prem, a Championship player for me. 

Impressed with McNeil  on the other wing, and their central midfielders in the 1st half were physically and athletically on a different level to our's, felt sorry for Sheehan trying to compete physically, but he was outstanding when they were replaced 2nd half.

10 hours ago, Pablo said:

First half was missing 7 first team players, 2nd half was the u21 team that played 2 days ago.

but, some top international players played tonight.

Bloody good crowd for a friendly.

Santos best player on the pitch, monster tonight….not tested against top players….but defo championship level players.

Has to be said tho….no drinks served in away end due to no internets and / or technical issues…utter shambles of a so called pro club…worst ive ever seen…not even water sold….now thats tin pot as fuck.

Pitch looked good tho, good noise from home fans….

good to see the 4.5mil bond going to good use

6 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

We all see things differently, I thought he was awful!  Acres of space several times and did nothing to punish us, wanted too long on the ball.  Its always been a real mystery to me how he's got a career in the Prem, a Championship player for me. 

Impressed with McNeil  on the other wing, and their central midfielders in the 1st half were physically and athletically on a different level to our's, felt sorry for Sheehan trying to compete physically, but he was outstanding when they were replaced 2nd half.

Yeah agree with this, baffles us alot does Iwobi, but strangely his attacking stats are really good. He is also the fittest in the squad and works hard...so coaches will love him...recon he is one of them that fails the fans "eye test".

He posted before the game a video of the ground, saying its always been his dream to play here, thought that was a nice touch, his best of the game....

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Tis a dear this football lark isnt it. When will it all end?

For me and the two lads its £50-£60 each home game if you want a bevvy and some food. 

Pre made corn beef butties and a thermos mate

3 minutes ago, Pablo said:

Yeah agree with this, baffles us alot does Iwobi, but strangely his attacking stats are really good. He is also the fittest in the squad and works hard...so coaches will love him...recon he is one of them that fails the fans "eye test".

He posted before the game a video of the ground, saying its always been his dream to play here, thought that was a nice touch, his best of the game....

Would imagine that is because hes related to JJ. 

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Pablo said:

He is also the fittest in the squad and works hard...so coaches will love him...recon he is one of them that fails the fans "eye test".

He posted before the game a video of the ground, saying its always been his dream to play here

In that case I think he needs a loan move where he’ll feel loved and valued, seems only one place for him 😊

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I always have a problem with making a game analysis from a steam, live or not. During an in-person viewing of the game you’ll often look at the movement of players without the ball. How they get into a position to receive the ball. On telly you’re stuck with only watching the ball and the players in shot. 

21 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

As a few have mentioned the crowd last night, had me thinking of any other big pre-season friendly crowds.

Celtic August 98, 17,479.  Obviously they packed out the away end but prices were never as relatively low as they are these days, great turn out.

That Jimmy Phillips testimonial? Why didn't we play Rangers he had some time there didn't he?

Cant remember if Jussi's testimonial v Hibs that they managed to turn into one of the most joyless occasions ever, had a decent crowd on.

Really surprised and encouraged by last night's attendance, honestly didn't think we had it in us 😀

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

As a few have mentioned the crowd last night, had me thinking of any other big pre-season friendly crowds.

Celtic August 98, 17,479.  Obviously they packed out the away end but prices were never as relatively low as they are these days, great turn out.

We packed out the end because lots of our fans are into Scottish football 

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, MickyD said:

I always have a problem with making a game analysis from a steam, live or not. During an in-person viewing of the game you’ll often look at the movement of players without the ball. How they get into a position to receive the ball. On telly you’re stuck with only watching the ball and the players in shot. 

Of course. However it does inevitably show players kicking it to opponents, which was my point. They all do it, sometimes under pressure, sometimes not. 

Fwiw, I think we need the likes of Thomason to do the hard yards and physical stuff to help Sheehan who has the grace but not the strength.