Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Where to take my nana for lunch?

Traf

17 minutes ago, Zulu said:

The Yew Tree at Anglezarke? Superb. I recommend it highly. Excellent lunch. 👍

My first proper night out with my first wife after we’d been married a week. Walked there from our house in Adlington. It was the go to place back then. Lots of Bolton players frequented it. Last went in between lockdown periods and a favourite stop off on a ride out on my scooter (1962 LI 125)😊

Glad it’s still going strong.

22 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

My first proper night out with my first wife after we’d been married a week. Walked there from our house in Adlington. It was the go to place back then. Lots of Bolton players frequented it. Last went in between lockdown periods and a favourite stop off on a ride out on my scooter (1962 LI 125)😊

Glad it’s still going strong.

Your scooter or the restaurant?

Talking to my mum today and referred to this thread. My 60th in January so doing a meal/piss up in Manc for all those over here but want to take her out in Bolton as she will be close to 87 by then so it won’t be her thing :D.

Looking at maybe Cherry Tree, Yew Tree, Ewe. Her mobility is now really shite. She relies on her wheeled zimmer frame thing. Are they all good for access for that? She can’t cope with any sort of slope/gradient

11 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Talking to my mum today and referred to this thread. My 60th in January so doing a meal/piss up in Manc for all those over here but want to take her out in Bolton as she will be close to 87 by then so it won’t be her thing :D.

Looking at maybe Cherry Tree, Yew Tree, Ewe. Her mobility is now really shite. She relies on her wheeled zimmer frame thing. Are they all good for access for that? She can’t cope with any sort of slope/gradient

Yea Tree would be okay for that. 👍

• Site Supporter

Went to the Yew Tree a few weeks back and couldn’t finish my chips as the steak I had was huge.

They put the remaining chips in a little jar for me to take home and warm up.

Which was a nice touch.

Food is superb.

On 24/08/2023 at 19:29, stevieb said:

Ewe is great but it's even dearer than cherry tree! 

Keeps the riff raff out.

I thought it was on a par - they do a home made individual cottage pie that would feed two for about 16 quid. I had a rack of lamb for about 22 quid

35 minutes ago, Gonk said:

Keeps the riff raff out.

I thought it was on a par - they do a home made individual cottage pie that would feed two for about 16 quid. I had a rack of lamb for about 22 quid

Maybe I'm just bitter I went on mothers day and had to pay for the outlaws! 

• Site Supporter
37 minutes ago, Gonk said:

Keeps the riff raff out.

22 quid for a rack of lamb is reasonable to be fair. It think these days the amount restaurants charge for drinks is a piss take, especially soft drinks like coke.

On 30/08/2023 at 08:22, Not in Crawley said:

The mains aren't good though for the price. Shame as its a lovely pub, and you are right the staff are great. Just need a new head chef.

Up at the Bob Smithy last night. Smaller menu, generally lower prices. Really nice fish and chips. They love a chippy tea.

• 1 month later...
47 minutes ago, globaldiver said:

Not lunch, but £25 for 2 v nice pizzas, garlic bread and a decent bottle of red wouldn’t be lost on your nana. 4-8 at Lostock Golf Club. So tea.

Have they finished the Kitchen Re-vamp yet? Went for a Sunday roast a few weeks back and ended up with a burger due to the limited menu

11 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Visited the Pack Horse at Affetside earlier this month. 

Great food.

I remember going as a kid In the 80s, when eating out was a treat, and being informed it had a good reputation. I just remember my dad having a T-Bone steak that was huge, probably cost about £3. 

12 hours ago, globaldiver said:

Not lunch, but £25 for 2 v nice pizzas, garlic bread and a decent bottle of red wouldn’t be lost on your nana. 4-8 at Lostock Golf Club. So tea.

Good shout, but she's 101, doesn't drink and isn't keen on "foreign muck" :D