Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Middlesbrough (H)

L/H White

No arguments with the result to be fair beaten by a much better team but to hold them for so long I think we should take some positives from that. On to Derby now and let’s hope we can pip them for the points. Shame we couldn’t just last out until the penalties but Borough deserved it really.

5 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

It’s quite apparent that our mentality is weak and we need leaders, I’d be looking to ship out and ship in 2 or 3.

That’s one of the problems evatt and markham  have made a lot of comments about doing due diligence about the players and there make up when they sign them  and gave it as one of the reasons after we didn’t sign the Aussie from st mirren . Apart from Dempsey the rest seem pretty week mentally 

5 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

It’s quite apparent that our mentality is weak and we need leaders, I’d be looking to ship out and ship in 2 or 3.

Was telling the happy clappers this in June. One dimensional, weak and poor positioning.

When a weaker team attacks we counter attack and batter them.

When we're the weaker team they do the same to us.

When the weaker team snatches a goal they put 10 men behind the ball and we can't break them down, meaning we either lose or maybe snatch a draw.

This isn't working and something needs to change.

6 minutes ago, Zog1 said:

Was telling the happy clappers this in June. One dimensional, weak and poor positioning.

When a weaker team attacks we counter attack and batter them.

When we're the weaker team they do the same to us.

When the weaker team snatches a goal they put 10 men behind the ball and we can't break them down, meaning we either lose or maybe snatch a draw.

This isn't working and something needs to change.

Nope.

22 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Thought we did ok tonight in spells, don’t take your chances get punished in particular Charles

the gulf is massive we’re so slow & pedestrian they fizzed that hall about second half

Yes, I was surprised how big the gulf was.  We played well 1st half hour but I remember thinking Boro just didn't look interested, they were very half hearted, and we were sharper and deserved to lead.  Last hour they looked streets ahead, they took off their 3 best attackers and I thought we'd have a chance but their subs had even more impact.  Enjoyed watching them, and their support was great considering the run they've been on.  We defended well generally and Baxter made a worldie of a save at 1-1, but certainly a wake up call for any thoughts that our players might be able to aspire to championship level.  Men against boys.

29 minutes ago, Krimzon said:

Shrewsbury Philliskirkesque ? 

No. At least Philliskirk got a (wayward) shot off in that instance. I think Dion was as shocked as the rest of us when it came to him in the box and by the time he remembered what he was supposed to do with it, he'd been tackled! 

2 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

No. At least Philliskirk got a (wayward) shot off in that instance. I think Dion was as shocked as the rest of us when it came to him in the box and by the time he remembered what he was supposed to do with it, he'd been tackled! 

Ala Reevesy , not good 😞

2 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Yes, I was surprised how big the gulf was.  We played well 1st half hour but I remember thinking Boro just didn't look interested, they were very half hearted, and we were sharper and deserved to lead.  Last hour they looked streets ahead, they took off their 3 best attackers and I thought we'd have a chance but their subs had even more impact.  Enjoyed watching them, and their support was great considering the run they've been on.  We defended well generally and Baxter made a worldie of a save at 1-1, but certainly a wake up call for any thoughts that our players might be able to aspire to championship level.  Men against boys.

They were in the championship play offs last season.

the gulf in divisions is huge,  we need to be scoring a lot higher percentage of the few chances we make and invariably the higher teams make a lot more chances and are more clinical

never going to win this cup - now concentrate on league and retaining papa johns

I didn’t think the gulf was THAT big and 3-1 certainly flattered them. The difference was that they took their chances and we didn’t. Certainly didn’t do ourselves any favours inviting pressure in the last 20 minutes, mind.

Put in a good performance on Saturday when it really matters and it’ll soon be forgotten (that’s the third week in a row I’ve said that now….)

Also did anyone else notice that the traffic light sequence has changed and seemed to be letting a LOT of people off the official car park each time? Only taken 25 years for a bit of common sense, but shit for those of us who park on Home Bargains 😁

I thought the gulf was in the fitness levels, we looked absolutely spent after the 60th minute, we couldn't hold it up and our players became desperate.

Saying that 1st half we generally outplayed a top championship team, our press was excellent, we had more possession and opportunities, a 2-0 lead wouldn't have felt out of place. They grabbed a goal out of nothing.

Teams in League 1 miss chances, Championship and above don't fuck around and will punish you. 

I take confidence from that performance, but saying that we've technically not won in our last 3, and shipped 7 goals at home in 2 matches. 

A loss to Derby on Saturday would make things sour quickly.

Edited by Lostock Whites

Evatt's teams have long been criticised for having no fight, no backbone. In that second half, I thought we had both, in spades.

Backs to the wall against a side on the attack, who, let's not forget, made the Championship play offs last year... and we showed plenty of bottle, before being undone by two classy subs and a belting strike. 

I'd have loved a sneaky penalty shoot out, but hey, wasn't to be. Other fish to fry. 

That said, I'm still racking my brain how Charles missed his 1-on-1.

11 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I didn’t think the gulf was THAT big and 3-1 certainly flattered them. The difference was that they took their chances and we didn’t. Certainly didn’t do ourselves any favours inviting pressure in the last 20 minutes, mind.

Put in a good performance on Saturday when it really matters and it’ll soon be forgotten (that’s the third week in a row I’ve said that now….)

Also did anyone else notice that the traffic light sequence has changed and seemed to be letting a LOT of people off the official car park each time? Only taken 25 years for a bit of common sense, but shit for those of us who park on Home Bargains 😁

I've got to disagree with that, not in a way that criticises us because we won't play their quality again this season, but purely from watching that game of football, 3-1 flattered us.  5-1 would have been a fairer reflection, but thank god they weren't more clinical.  We couldn't get a sniff 2nd half whilst our keeper and defenders were making blocks left right and centre, when Boro weren't shooting just off target.  Opened us up countless times and were faster, stronger and quicker thinking.  Very good save from Coleman first half too (from Crooks who played like a Rolls Royce in 2nd gear).

Agreed though - the Derby game is the one that matters now.

We held a really good Championship team for over 90 minutes so I’d say we should take some positives from that. I accept we were second best after the break but still kept them out and had chances to go ahead through Dion. The 3-1 obviously flatters them but they did deserve to win and at least we know the level we need to get to to compete. We’re not there yet but Derby will be a better test on Saturday. We have to get back to winning ways to build confidence again so hopefully the players will take the positives from tonight and not focus on the negatives.