Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Hs2 re-visited

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Cheese said:

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if they won the next GE. Dismayed, but not surprised.

7 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Neither would I - it's going to be a whole lot closer than people think.

No chance 

Not even close 

I'd put money on it but the odds are shite

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Could see the tram line extending to Bolton from this, be great if the case 

Well it's in the BN again- was there almost immediately!

Actually a professor at Bolton University discussing the merits. Some food for thought actually.

I know what Frank is saying, but such is the density of housing, if it was to come to Bolton, then some housing would almost inevitably go somewhere. 

Ultimately, depends upon the amount of cash they are willing to stump up.

Could fill Bolton canal in and use that I suppose!

• Site Supporter

Speaking of canals

It would be relatively inexpensive to use and expand the current canal network and put freight on it.

Yes, it’s slower, but for non-perishable stuff it would just mean placing orders a bit earlier. Less emissions and all that

Other than that, you can shift massive loads and reduce the pressure on the roads.

But it never gets a mention.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Spider said:

Said before, I had no love for HS2

But, the decision had been made

And the WWays Elders tell us that decisions must be abided by.

It’s the manner of it all, again.

Clattering fuckwits, them all.

What manner should have been used?

If they're going to quash such a mammoth project, then some are going to get hot under the collar, others are going to be delighted.

Of course once the notes in the folder had been seen, then rumours were started, and maybe they should have acted quicker in that event. 

It would however, have made Jack shit difference to those who think it's vital to go ahead, and they would still complain.

It may also turn into a big, battling issue at the election, which could be a big risk on his part, and it may have been easier to leave well alone.

Whether or not it's the right thing to do, I don't see any way of announcing it without ruffling some feathers.

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, Zico said:

No chance 

Not even close 

I'd put money on it but the odds are shite

Saw an interview with Simon Danczuk earlier, and he was of the view that the election will be very close and a hung parliament likely.

A former Labour mp who you would expect to lean heavily to his allegiance. 

Be careful where you place your bets.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Saw an interview with Simon Danczuk earlier, and he was of the view that the election will be very close and a hung parliament likely.

Mind games 

Ignore him anyway he's a nonce

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Simon Danczuk

Fuck me you really are scraping the barrel there 

He got kicked out/left the party years ago 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, DirtySanchez said:

Simon Danczuk

Fuck me you really are scraping the barrel there 

He got kicked out/left the party years ago 

Not sure that's overly relevant is it?

In terms of politics he's from a Labour background, and that won't change on the back of his stupid behaviour at the time.

Free from the shackles of being a current mp, he spoke freely and I was surprised at what he said, as I wouldn't have thought it was as close as he claims.

13 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Not sure that's overly relevant is it?

In terms of politics he's from a Labour background, and that won't change on the back of his stupid behaviour at the time.

Free from the shackles of being a current mp, he spoke freely and I was surprised at what he said, as I wouldn't have thought it was as close as he claims.

Depends if you want to believe disgraced former MPs

1 hour ago, Spider said:

Speaking of canals

It would be relatively inexpensive to use and expand the current canal network and put freight on it.

Yes, it’s slower, but for non-perishable stuff it would just mean placing orders a bit earlier. Less emissions and all that

Other than that, you can shift massive loads and reduce the pressure on the roads.

But it never gets a mention.

The trains won, get over it. 

There's a long way to go. Sunak is also more popular than the party overall, and could capitalise on this, in the leadership stakes there isn't much in the polls between him and Starmer, and despite us not having a presidential system most people who vote in a GE vote for the leader. Look what happened when Major started getting on his literal soapbox, and this was after the disaster of the Poll Tax. I mean, Sunak is no John Major but stranger things have happened.

The Tories will lose a blnaket of the Northern seats they took last time - their hope of keeping them is where all this immigration/multicultural strategy is coming from, they want poor people in the poorer towns to vote for them.

Scotland isn't as much of an issue as people think, its never turned the tide, but will help not having a hung parliment.

The cities will stay red but the outer borough's in the SE will stay blue - much hatered of the London Mayor and ULEZ, whether a policy started by the Tories and a overall good one has been badly communicated and politically its not good.

I've never seen a conference like this week - there isn't one Conservative party now, there are two or three factions. Personally I think we'll get a Labour government with a small majority, Sunak won't stick around and there will be a bun fight for the leadership between moderates (Penny Mordant - although she didn't cover herself in glory yesterday) and the Priti Patels/Bravermans of the world - and Truss will no doubt make a cabinet comeback. The problem is the moderates can't manage the right wing of the party, in the way Starmer has brought the left wing of Labour to heel over the past 2 years.

Of course, making bets on politics is worse then football, still so far out no one really knows as no one knows what will happen. We've the Labour conference next week - lets see what happens then, but conference season is all to be taken with a pinch of salt, the majority of the country wouldn't know why parliment is in recess and it's in those hands the decision is really taken.