Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Northampton Town (A)

BeeversLeftPeg

10 minutes ago, W.cramp said:

So,  evatt out then ?

No. If you get to a subsequent (less annoyed) post you'll see I'm still on the Evatt wagon. I think he's a great asset overall but he's making some inexplicable decisions he needs to sort asap.

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, Stig said:

What? I've simply stayed my view that one formation is stronger than another at football, and that most of the top teams play said formation.... 

And that's why I've posted it on a football forum for debate, wondering if someone will argue that 5 at the back is a better formation. What are your thoughts?

Sorry, I thought we were one of the top teams in the League. I must have misread the table.

Edited by Cheese

I’d hate to know what I was on about when it came to football tactics; I just support the white shirts whose names I can no longer read, and hope they keep entertaining me.

The frustration of if not being able to trust someone who is clearly more qualified, more experienced, and with a bigger pixelated cock than me would simply drive me insane…

i think we’d all be better off if IE panicked and change a system he has faith in, despite its limited success over his tenure. That way we could all say I told you so, and we’d be equally entertained and dismayed

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Dr Faustus said:

I’d hate to know what I was on about when it came to football tactics; 

Same here 

I'd end up spending all my time post match looking who to blame in the build up to every goal we concede 

Fuck that 

Just score more then them 

10 minutes ago, TM Trotter said:

I wondered when the 4 at the back shout would come again. 

Imagine we did do it. Who sits in front, breaking up play and distributing, i.e. our Rodri, our Rice, our Guimaraes, our Hojberg? I think that's where we'd fall down as none of our current CMs are that kind of player.

And christ, imagine how exposed Rico would be without two other CBs. I love the bloke but he surely isn't good enough to be one of two.

Its a non-starter, for this season at least.

I do not think we should all off a sudden change but at the right time we could use it in games. 

I am not sure where CMG plays or why we signed if we are averse to trying it. AC played left side of midfield for Bristol at times. We could sign Rodri too . 

3 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I think the idea that we play 5 at the back is a bit of misnomer tbf as we’re very much a three with the odd pair filling in just as much as other midfielders would be expected to. I think the issue comes when, as currently, we’re struggling to field three centre halves whilst also limited on numbers at wing back which is why the second half back four sometimes looks more appealing. Personally, I see why the three works with the system we play but also how four was far more effective today. 

Yeah it's difficult to judge when we're short like today, so leads to 4 at the back being better by default!

But I'd argue even when everyone is fit, 5/3 at the back leaves too much onus on the wing backs to create our chances while not having the support of a winger like a full back in a 4 would have so occasionally we end up looking toothless. And defensively leaves us open to a high press from the good teams playing a 4231 basically having a 3 v 3 all day against our defence.

18 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Crayola muncher just checking back in to Leigh now. Carlisle didn’t have a clue how to deal with Jerome and Northampton today weren’t too sure either. They don’t know what he’s doing next - admittedly, ours don’t either - but he’s always a keen outlet and the ball sticks when it goes up to him. The up and down form of pretty much all of our forward bar Collins (so far) is basically indicative of our entire League One residency. 

Matt. You’re a good lad but I’m genuinely lost for words. What are you seeing? I’m genuinely worried that people see this

37 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Northampton yoof after the match stood on that grass hill

Must have been eleven or twelve years old, Burberry scarf and stone island giving a bit 

Police walk over, ask them what they doing and the reply waiting for mum to pick them up 

Police say from as grass hill?

They soon fucked off 

No less embarrassing than the scriffily dressed children representing Wanderers I shared a bus with shouting about the size of Santos' cock in front of old bids and families incessantly 

16 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Sorry, I thought we were on of the top teams in the League. I must have misread the table.

Cheese - I'm not interested in your trolling. I signed up to discuss football, so will leave you to it

Bloke rang up BBC R Manchester after the match today. When asked if he was happy with the draw he had to think long and hard before he submitted an answer. The answer was eventually yes, but it was laced with arsenic. He then went on to complain about the way we played in the 9 mins at Cambridge. Fuck me, they walk amongst us.

47 minutes ago, tomski said:

Matt. You’re a good lad but I’m genuinely lost for words. What are you seeing? I’m genuinely worried that people see this

I’m probably trying to be too complimentary to all concerned but I think JDB has too much finesse in situations such as today where all we wanted was a big lump up top to create chaos and keep hold of the ball while reinforcements arrived. Doesn’t mean Jerome is necessarily a better player than JDB right here, right now but sometimes different situations call for different players. The annoying bit for me as far as JDB is concerned is that we all know what he’s capable of, but it’s been fairly rare this season (admittedly with a less of a run in the starting 11).

(Hope I’ve articulated the above well enough for someone on the piss for most of the day and just skulled a full chocolate orange in front of Shaun of the Dead)

God there's just so much to digest from this game and recent weeks. Bar Carlisle, it has been a real slog the past month or so.

At home in the league,  we haven't beaten a team by more than 1 goal since the 7-0 thrashing of Exeter back in November. Teams are making it extremely difficult for us and we are mostly on track.

With that in mind, there's definite improvements, can talk about changes in formation and I'm personally a fan of a 4 at the back instead of our usual shape. I actually think Taylor is more isolated as a 5 rather than a 4 and could have Toal alongside him. Play CMG out wide, Ashworth/Ogbeta to play on the left and Collins up top.

4231 (Baxter, Jones, Toal, Taylor, Ogbeta, Sheehan, Dempsey, Ashworth, Maghoma,CMG, Collins) 

However, it's important to acknowledge the success of our 5 at the back shape this season.

I think fans are being over critical of the signings. They've come in all at once and are having to play in a changing team suffering from injuries and learning the style.

I have sympathy for young Taylor, who at 21, has had to play 2 games so far, both where we have conceded early against tough teams, without both captain and Baxter around him too at the same time to lead. Also playing in the most demanding and vulnerable position in the lineup.

I believe that hopefully with a maximum point week to come, we will approach the derby fixtures at the end of the month in a much stronger position. Our leaders back and new signings bedded in.

Pompey could finish above us, but I don't believe from what I've seen that Derby, Peterborough or Barnsley are better or better equipped than us at all. 

We've shown a lot of character in the last 2 matches during a very turbulent week with injuries, fixture postponements, red cards, new signings etc. 

We're still in a fantastic position to get top 2. But time to start getting some wins now. Tuesday night is massive. 

Edited by Lostock Whites

2 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

I have sympathy for young Taylor, who at 21, has had to play 2 games so far, both where we have conceded early against tough teams, without both captain and Baxter around him too at the same time to lead. Also playing in the most demanding and vulnerable position in the lineup.

Saying this earlier; kids 21 and suddenly an integral part of a patched up defence that plays from the back. Think he’ll do well… 

Could be blind faith, but JC more than competent at this level

8 games in the next month will be massive, but I’m not squeezing my nuts off yet

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Dr Faustus said:

Saying this earlier; kids 21 and suddenly an integral part of a patched up defence that plays from the back. Think he’ll do well… 

Could be blind faith, but JC more than competent at this level

No, I think you're right. It's all come at once for him. Chucked into a make shift defence in games against hard working teams. We're beset with injuries in a fixture pileup in a league we're desperate to get out of. Fans expectations are high which add to the pressure. 

If he'd come in at the start of the season he'd be a regular now for the right reasons.

I really don’t think Evatt will change to a back four at this late stage and the business end of the season. There’s no need to panic.
Evatt is struggling to fit CMG in but maybe he could play top 2 with Collins and give Charles and Vic a breather, they’ve done the heavy lifting for most of the season.

10 hours ago, Ani said:

Radical but maybe 4 at the back is also an option. 

10 hours ago, Stig said:

I would cream my pants at a 4 at the back

Most good teams play a back 4, and generally a 4231/433 seems the best formation overall. And actually think we have the personnel for it now.

Chances of it happening are zero though

9 hours ago, Under_Score said:

Mendes Gomes looked excellent when he came on today but he played in his actual position of winger. I fear that maybe today is the last time he gets to play in that position when we revert back to our standard back 5 for the remainder of the season. 

Jones looked excellent aswell 2nd half at right back and was an attacking presence and defended well.

Playing 4 at the back is the way forward with this current squad of players, just a shame IE’s stubbornness will mean we rarely get to see it. 

💦  🩲

SmartSelect_20240211_082759_SamsungInternet.jpg.40a8ab1b0944667b87f9e6d38f698d1f.jpg

9 hours ago, Ani said:

I do not think we should all off a sudden change but at the right time we could use it in games. 

I am not sure where CMG plays or why we signed if we are averse to trying it. AC played left side of midfield for Bristol at times. We could sign Rodri too . 

CMG isn't the first player Evatts signed that doesn't fit into his 'system'

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, Stig said:

He's got the best squad in the league. If he doesn't get promotion he's failed.

I can accept off days, but our team seems to have such dips in performance it's unreal. I can't remember seasons like this where we're one of the best teams, but get battered every now and then, or completely fail to turn up.

My view is they're mentally weak, and Evatt is too, and we're lucky the league is so weak this season

How on earth can anyone say that we have the best squad, and prove it?

Recently, we've spent a bit of cash, then so have others. 

We have players who came from non-league and low league.

If they are so mentally weak, then clearly they're not the best neither.

Contradiction within your own assessment. 

We're third, with games in hand.

Should we fail to go up, then there will be questions.

Until then..