Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wycombe (H)

globaldiver

We are in the sort of stumbling, scrambling run we were in as we limped into the play off semi last season but with 16 games left. Another game where a poor side has gone away feeling hard done to. The hope is that, with Santos and Forrester back, we'll look a bit less flaky at the back and pick our form back up for the run-in. 

First half was horrendous, too ponderous again, too many loose passes, poor touches and bad decisions. All a bit disjointed and airy fairy. Second a bit better at times, Maghoma woke up to the task and had a really good half hour till he went off, Dempsey got forward well and put some good balls across. 

Ogbeta did well and the goal came from him doing the only positive, direct thing in the whole half. Got a very good left peg. 

Dacres Cogley back to good form, at least when he gets the ball he tries to be progressive and do things quickly. 

Coleman did pretty well over the 90 mins, couple of more than decent blocks when needed 

Another night of the teeth pulling variety but, again, points on the board

Gotta call a spade a spade with how drab we were in possession but a tricky match with them coming off a 5-2 win & we matched the other two above us on the night so all is well. Cogley/Dempsey the best performers, them two are clearly the best athletes in the team & make good use of the ball more often than not.

24 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Find this hilarious. If Vic played like Collins did today he’d get dogs abuse.

Collins is clearly very good and will be a massive player for us, but tonight he was no better than Vic was but everyone will pick out the couple of nice things he did to back up the fact we already love him

None of Collins, Charles or Vic pulled any trees up tonight. Charles and Collins didn't look a combo but it's very early days and service up to them first half was non existent. Equally, not sure Collins and Vic is a combo either. Conundrum for Evatt how he gets the best out of his expensive attacking riches 

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Great ball from Ogbeta and top header from GJ.. glad he’s back steady and solid. 

Thats a fantastic header fir me

It made the ball which i thought was all a bit floaty

Awful first half all the same issues we saw v Barnsley. 

Better second half as we played more positively. I do not mean we lumped it forward but we played quicker. How anyone can defend playing the ball into the feet of a midfielder who is running back towards goal, or the back pass from Morley to Shaggy is beyond me. 

I understand playing out from the back, I do not understand why if the keeper has the ball with a centre half with space or a wing back with space we have to stand still till everyone is in their exact position, including the opposition rather then playing it out quickly. The first goal came from Ogbetta taking the ball early playing to the front men, getting a corner and then a goal.

They were a team of giants, looked dangerous off long balls and set pieces once we cut that out we dominated.

We won that is really all that matters but god it is nerve racking ! 

First half, their line was pretty much stationed on halfway which ordinarily we’d be rubbing our hands at, but Charles and Collins both seemed obsessed coming 10 yards in to our half to look for the ball instead of sitting on their shoulder and us going early in to the space. So many players with pace and whilst I admire our determination to try and play in to feet, sometimes we’ve got to ignore that and play to our strengths and take advantage of the situations. 

Just now, Leyther_Matt said:

First half, their line was pretty much stationed on halfway which ordinarily we’d be rubbing our hands at, but Charles and Collins both seemed obsessed coming 10 yards in to our half to look for the ball instead of sitting on their shoulder and us going early in to the space. So many players with pace and whilst I admire our determination to try and play in to feet, sometimes we’ve got to ignore that and play to our strengths and take advantage of the situations. 

Did what we needed to do tonight. I do worry we’ve looked a bit ropey recently but injuries/new signings gelling have played a part. 

See Charlton as a perfect game to click into gear on Sat .

Big, battling 3 points against another team of horrible shithouses supported by a weak ref. Performance a bit shaky at times but we've done well tonight against a side in form, particularly second half.

If you are one of the handful of people who booed Vic as he came on, you are a monumental twat. Absolutely no need. Especially as he then did a great hold up job for half an hour. Arguably did more than Collins tonight, but hey. 

Lovely goal from Bod. About time! 🙂

26 minutes ago, Big E said:

Collins and bod is what will work

Agreed. Or a front 3 of Collins, bod and Mendes Gomez might work nicely if we change formation to address these poor performances 

10 minutes ago, tomski said:

Did what we needed to do tonight. I do worry we’ve looked a bit ropey recently but injuries/new signings gelling have played a part. 

See Charlton as a perfect game to click into gear on Sat .

You know better than that! 😬

I’m sure someone will provide the stats that throw this theory out of the window, but we all know every team ends their bad runs against us (even though every other set of fans in the country also thinks the same)

1 minute ago, Stig said:

Agreed. Or a front 3 of Collins, bod and Mendes Gomez might work nicely if we change formation to address these poor performances 

I posted something similar the other day. Wouldn’t take a huge change in formation, we’d just have to play with two more conservative midfielders and let CMG do his thing. Invert the triangle, as it were.*

*If anyone wants to post a David Brent gif in response to that phrase then you’d be completely justified 

• Site Supporter

would like to see Gomes start ahead of Maghoma, 

no idea what's happened to Morley, he's developed backwards, managed the full game which is a plus, but he seems to have just lost his fire. 

Dion needs a rest, think he's on burn out, should be on 20+ by now the rate he started the season, he's not.. 

1 minute ago, only1swanny said:

would like to see Gomes start ahead of Maghoma, 

no idea what's happened to Morley, he's developed backwards, managed the full game which is a plus, but he seems to have just lost his fire. 

Dion needs a rest, think he's on burn out, should be on 20+ by now the rate he started the season, he's not.. 

This. 

Forgot to mention ref was a real twat, every time one of them went down gave a free kick, but not the other way round.

In second JDC twisted past 2/3 men in corner and was pushed over nothing given , he got up did the same - free kick

Full back pulled Ogbetta for the break for first goal , Ogbetta too strong, why the fuck did he not go back and book the guy ?

Big Daddy having shirt pulled off for a corner, ref stops and warns the defender, just give it.