Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wigan Athletic (A)

Leyther_Matt

Simply do not give a shit at this point. After today, the players should want to play against Wigan in a mudbath, underwater, in the sewers, anywhere. 2000 phenomenal whites supporters let down, there will be double the backing on Tuesday.

They need and I dearly hope that they have that drive within themselves to beat Wigan on Tuesday, no matter what.

Without being too deep, life is about overcoming adversity, getting sent to the floor and it's up to you to how you respond. Roll around and cry on the floor, or get up and show some fight.

Some players played for us when we've got battered twice by them at our own ground 0-4, as well as today's result. It's time to fucking respond. "Play the game, not the occasion". I don't buy that crap for one second. Tuesday is our biggest league game for years and we have to turn up. It's more important than Wembley last season in front of 80,000.

Our rivals show up and treat their games against us like cup finals, well maybe we should do the same and show more intensity.

Tactics aside, want to win it more than them and the football will take care of itself.

You wanna play in the Championship next season at better grounds and on better wages? Then time to fucking earn it.

Edited by Lostock Whites

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Watching this rugby league game. They’re going to have to work miracles on the pitch in 3 days for it for it to be anything other than shit.

Playing neat football through the middle of the pitch might not be the most advisable tactic

Just got back from that. Wasn’t as bad as I was expecting after the weather this week. If we’re as good a team as we keep telling everyone then it shouldn’t be an issue. In reality, we need targets up top and go a bit more direct. 

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

Watching this rugby league game. They’re going to have to work miracles on the pitch in 3 days for it for it to be anything other than shit.

Playing neat football through the middle of the pitch might not be the most advisable tactic

Just get the heavy roller on, it'll be reet.

On 23/02/2024 at 12:20, MickyD said:

Interesting @Rubberkex hasn’t shown his head above the parapet yet.

Head now above parapet.  Was just waiting to get your collapse at Blackpool out the way first before I posted, as I said I would in the run up to the match.

On the match, fuck me not a clue. We are up and down like a yo-yo great one minute and crap the next. Mostly our possession is high but it seems to consist of piss farting about with it across the back four and isn't pleasing on the eye. You lot, consistent mostly but nerves might play a part as we approach the business end of the season where no fuckin point is easy won. I really do think it can go either way and I know that sounds like a cop out but it could come down to one mistake. You will probably go up ( just ) but honestly believe we will edge this ( also just ) but wouldn't be surprised by any result. Pitch is ok.

So to sum up, get your collective nerves jangling and I hope that transfers to your players on the night but and more importantly I hope everyone returns home safely with no mishaps etc because at the end of the day its blokes kicking a bag of fucking wind about and nobody outside South Lancashire gives a shit about either of us.

Whatever happens I will share my thoughts on  proceedings after the event ...win, lose or draw.

Just win. I don’t give a flying fuck how. 

alongside the fact we desperately need it I’m sick to death of this mob lording it over us. The results they get against us define their season. They could get relegated, beat us and still be made up. 

I sound like a broken record but Evatt needs to start getting the players seeing these games just how the opposition do. It isn’t just another game. I’m sick to death of rolling over and getting our arses spanked in the games that matter to the fanbase and that doesn’t only apply to Wigan. It went past embarrassing a long time ago. 

any sense of frustration / injustice or whatever they’re feeling after yesterday needs to be shown in the players attitude, approach and performance level on Tuesday. 

we need to be coming out of their with something to properly shout about for once 

5 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Just win. I don’t give a flying fuck how. 

alongside the fact we desperately need it I’m sick to death of this mob lording it over us. The results they get against us define their season. They could get relegated, beat us and still be made up. 

I sound like a broken record but Evatt needs to start getting the players seeing these games just how the opposition do. It isn’t just another game. I’m sick to death of rolling over and getting our arses spanked in the games that matter to the fanbase and that doesn’t only apply to Wigan. It went past embarrassing a long time ago. 

any sense of frustration / injustice or whatever they’re feeling after yesterday needs to be shown in the players attitude, approach and performance level on Tuesday. 

we need to be coming out of their with something to properly shout about for once 

Just put something similar on the Blackpool thread but not as eloquent as you Mr Cowdrill like you I am sick of us getting turned over by local rivals ! 

2 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Taking a point from Blackpool & Wigan is not acceptable for a promotion chasing team

we must go on Tuesday and get the 3 points 

We’d be 1 point short of our 2 a game target but the bigger picture is how another loss would effect confidence… I’ll take the point and move on. 

13 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

We’d be 1 point short of our 2 a game target but the bigger picture is how another loss would effect confidence… I’ll take the point and move on. 

We should be thinking what a win will do for confidence

Folk are hung up on the 2 point average, worked well for Sheffield weds last season 

I just don't see us getting anything. Saturday at Blackpool showed up all the same weaknesses against teams who go for us/local rivals. We've had our traditional sending off in the game before Wigan as well (it was Charles the game before the home match). 

As others have said these (like Blackpool) will play well above themselves against the hated Bolton. We''ll walk in to that firestorm as it if's never happened before and we'll come unstuck. 

IE - Will you stop bloody apologising and do your job - you’ve still got plenty in hand. 

We weren’t that bad and indeed played well in the first half apart from a couple of lapses in concentration.

Anyway this game is massive and we simply have to win it.

Another defeat and it’s the play-offs I fear. 

0-3.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Rubberkex said:

Head now above parapet.  Was just waiting to get your collapse at Blackpool out the way first before I posted, as I said I would in the run up to the match.

On the match, fuck me not a clue. We are up and down like a yo-yo great one minute and crap the next. Mostly our possession is high but it seems to consist of piss farting about with it across the back four and isn't pleasing on the eye. You lot, consistent mostly but nerves might play a part as we approach the business end of the season where no fuckin point is easy won. I really do think it can go either way and I know that sounds like a cop out but it could come down to one mistake. You will probably go up ( just ) but honestly believe we will edge this ( also just ) but wouldn't be surprised by any result. Pitch is ok.

So to sum up, get your collective nerves jangling and I hope that transfers to your players on the night but and more importantly I hope everyone returns home safely with no mishaps etc because at the end of the day its blokes kicking a bag of fucking wind about and nobody outside South Lancashire gives a shit about either of us.

Whatever happens I will share my thoughts on  proceedings after the event ...win, lose or draw.

Wigan have become our kryponite in recent times.

I honestly think this game could not have come at a better time for us. If they can’t get up for this after recent humiliations, and fresh on the back of a shit day at Blackpool then they don’t deserve promotion.

I’m optimistic and have zero reason to be.

Football, eh

12 hours ago, Lostock Whites said:

Simply do not give a shit at this point. After today, the players should want to play against Wigan in a mudbath, underwater, in the sewers, anywhere. 2000 phenomenal whites supporters let down, there will be double the backing on Tuesday.

They need and I dearly hope that they have that drive within themselves to beat Wigan on Tuesday, no matter what.

Without being too deep, life is about overcoming adversity, getting sent to the floor and it's up to you to how you respond. Roll around and cry on the floor, or get up and show some fight.

Some players played for us when we've got battered twice by them at our own ground 0-4, as well as today's result. It's time to fucking respond. "Play the game, not the occasion". I don't buy that crap for one second. Tuesday is our biggest league game for years and we have to turn up. It's more important than Wembley last season in front of 80,000.

Our rivals show up and treat their games against us like cup finals, well maybe we should do the same and show more intensity.

Tactics aside, want to win it more than them and the football will take care of itself.

You wanna play in the Championship next season at better grounds and on better wages? Then time to fucking earn it.

Well said, exactly right and if they don’t then all this fantastic support they’re getting might just also give up?

42 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

We should be thinking what a win will do for confidence

Folk are hung up on the 2 point average, worked well for Sheffield weds last season 

1 point against Wigan ( I cannot see us getting 3 points) and beat  Cambridge and we are better than 2 points a game again. And we’ve been mediocre for the last 4/5 weeks.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

3 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

1 point against Wigan ( I cannot see us getting 3 points) and beat  Cambridge and we are better than 2 points a game again. And we’ve been mediocre for the last 4/5 weeks.

I think this one’s about much more 5han just the points MK, the players owe us a win, however they do it. I’m afraid just settling for a point isn’t enough and who says we’re going to beat Cambridge anyway and then also at Barnsley? Slip up in those then where’s your 2 points average?

I think the reason that we struggle with derby games is that our style doesn't lend itself to a blood and thunder approach. We dominate teams by possession football and maintaining a shape. And when teams go hard it's difficult for us to compete by playing football around the opposition - simply because our players aren't consistently good enough to do it week in week out. 

10 minutes ago, Spider said:

Wigan have become our kryponite in recent times.

I honestly think this game could not have come at a better time for us. If they can’t get up for this after recent humiliations, and fresh on the back of a shit day at Blackpool then they don’t deserve promotion.

I’m optimistic and have zero reason to be.

Football, eh

Recent humiliations plural and Blackpool? 

FFS get a grip and if you’re unable to do that then I suggest you look at the league table. 

Your constant posting trying to get bites is child-like and I’m not even sure you know which one is the bait. 

Edited by captainmed

2 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

I think this one’s about much more 5han just the points MK, the players owe us a win, however they do it. I’m afraid just settling for a point isn’t enough and who says we’re going to beat Cambridge anyway and then also at Barnsley? Slip up in those then where’s your 2 points average?

Nothing guaranteed but we will be big favourites to beat Cambridge, Wigan and Barnsley I’d take point of each now if offered. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, captainmed said:

Recent humiliations plural and Blackpool? 

FFS get a grip and if you’re unable to do that then I suggest you look at the league table. 

Your constant posting trying to get bites is child-like and I’m not even sure you know which one is the bait. 

If being beaten 4-0 by Wigan twice in recent times isn’t a humiliation then I don’t know what is

Regardless of whether Santos plays or not I’d be bringing Forrester in for a start. 

1) a proper defender with some character exactly what you want in this game 

2) hasn’t put a foot wrong when he’s played and really should’ve come back in when he was fit 

3) better CB than Jones 

4) frees jones up to play RWB where he’s better, overall that makes us more solid and in return gives Cogley a breather because he was absolutely miles off it yesterday 

9 minutes ago, captainmed said:

I find it a bit of a concern that Collins isn’t even starting when Charles is injured.

£750K is looking rather expensive but I guess it’s still early days. 

He hasn’t had a good season and we play a specific way so who knows if he is going to be successful with us. Thought Bod was poor yesterday with Cogley so I expect Collins to start tomorrow 

2 hours ago, kent_white said:

I think the reason that we struggle with derby games is that our style doesn't lend itself to a blood and thunder approach. We dominate teams by possession football and maintaining a shape. And when teams go hard it's difficult for us to compete by playing football around the opposition - simply because our players aren't consistently good enough to do it week in week out. 

This is the issue in a nutshell isn't it. A good (top half) high pressing team will force errors from us in our half leading to chances, goals or even decisions that the amateur refs then have to make (they're going to get some wrong and some right so I'd rather they were making decisions about things in the opposition half!). For all our possession, in these big games I'd imagine the territory stats are way against us.

Wigan won't be a surprise this week. They'll do their usual 4231 with the forward and wide players giving our defenders a battering. We have to get better at not panicking and instead playing it quickly forwards down the channels where there should be space.