Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Derby County (A)

L/H White

10 minutes ago, Zico said:

For me it's more a case of let's see if we are as good as we know we can be 

I e. 

Last night

Take your point, played extremely well. 

I follow the book though and right now Derby are twice as likely as us to finish top 2. 

Were the same price as Peterborough. 

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, captainmed said:

Take your point, played extremely well. 

I follow the book though and right now Derby are twice as likely as us to finish top 2. 

Were the same price as Peterborough. 

aye, though to be fair that's changing with every game

according to my SkyBet, odds for promotion (I do decimal)

Pompey: 1.17
Derby: 1.62
Bolton: 1.67
Posh: 1.83

top 2:

Pompey: 1.25
Derby: 2.10
Bolton: 2.25
Posh: 3.50

title: 

Pompey: 1.73
Bolton: 5.00
Derby: 5.50
Posh: 9.00

we all play each other Saturday

it's going to look very different one way or another after that as well

12 minutes ago, Zico said:

aye, though to be fair that's changing with every game

according to my SkyBet, odds for promotion (I do decimal)

Pompey: 1.17
Derby: 1.62
Bolton: 1.67
Posh: 1.83

top 2:

Pompey: 1.25
Derby: 2.10
Bolton: 2.25
Posh: 3.50

title: 

Pompey: 1.73
Bolton: 5.00
Derby: 5.50
Posh: 9.00

we all play each other Saturday

it's going to look very different one way or another after that as well

I was trying to figure this out this morning. I’ve only got money on title, so didn’t have the context of the others but after last night we have moved ahead of Derby into slight second favourites for the title, despite being a point behind and having to go to them which surely the bookies would price in as being a favourable fixture to Derby vs us. Couldn’t really understand it.

Very close to selling out now Derby, a few hundred tickets left by all accounts. Biggest gate of the season anticipated. They are making it a " Black n White" day apparently, pushing scarves and flags all over the ground. Going to be some atmosphere, lets hope we have the bottle to cope.

29 minutes ago, woolli said:

Very close to selling out now Derby, a few hundred tickets left by all accounts. Biggest gate of the season anticipated. They are making it a " Black n White" day apparently, pushing scarves and flags all over the ground. Going to be some atmosphere, lets hope we have the bottle to cope.

More importantly we don’t have another cheating referee like the one that won the game for them last night 

Some tough remaining fixtures left. This is probably the toughest. For all the plaudits this team rightly receives, there's still a question mark over their performances in the biggest/toughest of games.  Saturday would be a great time to put any such doubts to bed.

C'mon Wanderers! 

5 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

More importantly we don’t have another cheating referee like the one that won the game for them last night 

Absolutely, baffling decisions.

Looking at the opinions of Derby fans they were very lucky to win last night and think they need to be levels above to get a win on Saturday.

Tend to be far more pragmatic and play on the counter attack so think we may have our fair share of possession, if we use the ball like last night they'll be opportunities for us. Also think the back 5 and Coleman will have far more to do at weekend, especially if they try to catch us on the break.

This is a massive game, Derby play international weekend away at Northampton, so defeat on Saturday we could be 7 points behind them come the Stevenage game.

Here's to putting an end to our shite run at Pride Park.

• Site Supporter

Warne knows exactly how Evatt will set us up. They won't let us dictate the pace at all, will hit the wings and get early crosses into the box.

Have to say, i'm fearful - but my record there is probably half the reason for that

11 minutes ago, BeeversLeftPeg said:

Here's to putting an end to our shite run at Pride Park.

I might be misremembering, but I think last time I went to Derby, we played with no strikers and it was an absolutely awful game, and we drew 0:0  -  I was there with @tomskiand he said we're never to speak of that game ever again, as it was so bad

6 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I might be misremembering, but I think last time I went to Derby, we played with no strikers and it was an absolutely awful game, and we drew 0:0  -  I was there with @tomskiand he said we're never to speak of that game ever again, as it was so bad

My last visit was the 1-1 in the Prem, Anelka for us. Have we lost every game there since?*

*We've drawn 2 then lost the rest since.

Edited by BeeversLeftPeg

Thing is with Derby, they don't need to play well to win, something we've slightly struggled with this season. When we've won, it's usually a game where we've been on top.

They'll be happy without the ball and look to counter, but I think they rely massively on individual quality to win their games. Most times I've watched them, it's get the ball to Mendez Laing, let him run and cross for the striker to put in.

We can take a lot of positivity from our win against them earlier this season. Red card or not, we completely dominated them when they had 11 on the pitch for more than 50 minutes.

It will be a different game, in front of a packed house. However the team just need to show the same desire and belief.

Im not thinking of us drawing there, we can go there and win and it's about time too.

Edited by Lostock Whites

5 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

If that's their main attack route, then will Evatt take that into account when selecting our team?

Iirc, he plays on the right, so would you go with Ogbeta, Williams or Ashworth?

Reckon Iredale inside would arguably be as important. 

I think going from the 1st game, Evatt will still pick an attacking left sided full back, Randy/Ogbeta and play our way, pinning them back.

Mendez Laing was massively ineffective in the 1st game against us as we had 70% of the ball and our full backs were overloading them.

Derby are a completely different kind of team than say Posh, Pompey or even Oxford. They have a very old team but very experienced (average age of 30). I can't see them pressing us all game and looking to dominate the ball, it's not Warnes style. 

They'll be looking to stay solid, capitalise on our mistakes and counter down the wings.

It will be an interesting affair for sure. 

3 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

I think going from the 1st game, Evatt will still pick an attacking left sided full back, Randy/Ogbeta and play our way, pinning them back.

Mendez Laing was massively ineffective in the 1st game against us as we had 70% of the ball and our full backs were overloading them.

Derby are a completely different kind of team than say Posh, Pompey or even Oxford. They have a very old team but very experienced (average age of 30). I can't see them pressing us all game and looking to dominate the ball, it's not Warnes style. 

They'll be looking to stay solid, capitalise on our mistakes and counter down the wings.

It will be an interesting affair for sure. 

As much as we dominated them they did have chances in that first game, mainly crosses in from Mendez Laing and set pieces.

That lack of pressure from them should suit us though

37 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

Thing is with Derby, they don't need to play well to win, something we've slightly struggled with this season.

We've won plenty of games this season where we didn't play well.