Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Derby County (A)

L/H White

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I've said on other threads we've missed him, he scores goals and he adds bite and running and in your face football.  I would have loved him to come on instead of Jerome for eg.  But you've also almost used your own argument against yourself!  By listing the big games he's scored in, you've emphasised how few and far between they are and that none are away against a "big" team (he did get one at Posh last year), and that's the argument against IEs team nothing personal against Charles.  I'm saying if he's played at Derby, like he has on many previous occasions, yes he MIGHT score, just as Collins or Bod MIGHT score - but no evidence at all to say we'd be turning a 1-0 defeat into a victory based on having a player who has been very much part and parcel of our shortcomings in these type of games for the last couple of seasons.  Again, it sounds like I'm having a dig at him, I'm not at all but its strange to suggest he would suddenly come good any more than his colleagues would, let's not forget when others play in his place they add something to the team too, its not all either win-win or lose-lose when any player replaces another, they all bring something to the table.

I did say they were the only games I could think of, off the top of my head and there will be others. But I’m certainly not going hunting them out!

Without over analysing it, his record speaks for itself. Simply put he scores goals the other forwards don’t. We need that before the end of the season, whether that’s Portsmouth, Peterborough, Bristol or Shrewsbury. I don’t imagine his odds for scoring against Peterborough will be different to Bristol because his ratio of goals of big:small clubs is vastly disproportionate! 🤣

Lets hope he’s back soon proving me rather than you right 😊

8 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Me too but I've thought that before and they never seem to be

Aye, though sooner of later someone will twig they can have a club with history and a massive potential fan base in south London. Bit of proper investment....

36 minutes ago, desperado said:

If we don’t go up and get rid of Evatt, we’ll be the next Charlton

Let’s park this up till the season is done as we all want to go up and the run in is gonna be thick and fast. 

Hope we are in the championship and a moot point

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Wigan will still be a danger, but evidence so far suggests they won't be chucking money about, and they may lose players.

Rotherham look like they're dropping, and of course they would still have a decent-ish team.

Two big sides in pompey and Derby gone up and replaced by a smaller club, and maybe a Huddersfield etc.

Don't see how that potential swap makes the league suddenly tougher.

As for those coming up, Wrexham have to watch their spending because of ffp, and the likes of Mansfield and Stockport are also not going to be able to splash the cash beyond their means. 

Again nothing to suggest any more difficult a league than it is this season.

I was thinking if we don't go up we don't start the season certain of two 2 away defeats - Pompey & Derby.  And who's replacing them, bloody Rotherham!  Oh well one less bogey away ground should those 2 go up.

Charlton history they had  first substitute and used to get crowds of 35000  almost went out of business but have a large catchment area lot of support comes from kent

• Members
10 hours ago, Zico said:

I know, which is why I'm not cashing out

Derby got some tricky ties coming up and may not have a striker

I'm hoping we've got Baxter and Charles back for the next game

just explaining to Bolty being 4 points behind second having just lost to them with some tricky fixtures in our remaining 7 games is not a scenario I would have plumped for before a ball had been kicked

All fair enough and I wasn't classing you as one of the DM's. They know who they are.

At the time I thought that Gayle’s injury was a positive, takes a player out of the game who is probably their biggest goal threat (and likely for a few games to come). Actually though, we had been dominating so much to that point that it was probably the worst thing that could happen, Gayle was hardly a threat because they couldn’t get near enough to our goal (and Rico was bossing him in the centre of the pitch) but it gave Warne chance to make that tactical change so early. Clearly he’s not afraid of making some big in game calls, with his triple sub at half time, but I doubt he’d have been making any as early as the 25th minute.

Fingers crossed the benefit is that Gayle isn’t scoring any more goals for them this season (as shitty as it is to wish an injury on someone) but in hindsight that injury definitely worked against us.

13 hours ago, Hoppy said:

Charlton history they had  first substitute and used to get crowds of 35000  almost went out of business but have a large catchment area lot of support comes from kent

At Burnden, so we can claim half of that.