Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

ReeBok Atmosphere

Krimzon

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I would say it was one of the staple songs that would be sung at every away game and most homes, maybe second only to "(insert name of manager)'s Super White Army" and repeat.

Oh when the whites go marching in

Def every game one

6 minutes ago, BWFC_LOVE said:

Heard it on a 1990 video even. 2:10ish. Phil Parkinson playing for Bury. 

You’ll Never Walk Alone was sung as recently (if that’s the right word) as the play off final against Reading.

When did “Olé olé olé olé Bolton, Bolton” die out? Always remember that from the Wrexham video

Cheers for the video @Cheese, exactly as I remember with the team announcements @gonzo! Cheering the team out of the tunnel and all that. A lost art. 

Some great atmospheres at Burnden in the 70s (one of the earliest a League Cup win against Man C when Garry Jones hit a hat-trick, that Newcastle FA Cup tie and 'Supermac'), some dire ones for a decade in the 80s, great ones again in the 90s (cup wins en route to that final v Liverpool, Wolves at home in league, last home game v Charlton). 

Lots of days and nights at Reebok where it's been noisy and passionate, again plenty when it's been grim, especially during chunks of the last decade. Leicester (H) in Prem, home v Boro that ensured safety, European nights, bloodying Arsenal, Liverpool noses and the Stuart Holden night v Blackburn a few that come to mind. Posh and Forest homes to get up / stay up perhaps best of the last few years. 

I think by and large it's been good over last couple of seasons, the way we play sometimes doesn't lend itself to a rousing atmosphere but, often when we've hit a bit of adversity or been hard done to (Peterborough when down to 10 men, Derby, Blackpool), our crowd have risen to the demand 

The other factor in this last few years is lack of away fans. There's not going to be much of an atmosphere when Cambridge are bringing 200. Combine that with the view, rightly or wrongly, that we should be winning those games it's not going to be bouncing.

Get promoted to the championship and both those factors change for most games and the atmosphere will be better. We've seen if against Derby, Blackpool etc the atmosphere can be good when there's away fans and a game that's viewed as more of a challenge.

Couple of 1980s ones that really seem a sign of the times these days ...

If I had a plane I'd fly it over (e.g. Burnley) and ...

The red red robin went bob bob bobbing along ...

And most opposing fans shagged sheep.

2 hours ago, wakey said:

It was just All Yorkshiremen Shagged Sheep!

First time I heard it I didn't have a clue what they were on about, but then it became one of the main songs whenever we played Rotherham, Barnsley, Doncaster, Leeds, Sheff Wed/Utd in the 80s.  Sadly missed 😀

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, wakey said:

Don’t recall that one. Was it to the tune “If I had a hammer…?”

In the same direction, (to the tune, My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean) we used to sing

“If I had the wings of a sparrow, if I had the arse of a crow, I’d fly over <blackburn> tomorrow, and shit on the bastards below. Shit on, shit on, shit on the bastards below, below. Shit on, shit on, shit on the bastards below.”

or (to the tune “He’s only a poor little sparrow”)

He’s only a poor little cockney. His face is all tattered and torn. He made me feel sick so I hit him with a brick and now he don’t sing anymore!

45 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

But it needed to be 3 syllables to make a catchy tune 😀

"All Welshmen they shag sheep" was how it went iirc, with "they" being the third syllable.

1 minute ago, burnden said:

Also for the welsh ... burn me bungalow down taff, burn me bungalow down 

Oh yes, forgot about that one.

For West Country - Exeter, Bristol, Plymouth - "I can't read, I can't write, but I can drive a tractor"

3 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Apparently singing about Brighton fans all geing rampant Queens is arrestable & the club being fined.

Have you BEEN to Brighton ??

We can see you holding hands .........

• Site Supporter
21 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Oh yes, forgot about that one.

For West Country - Exeter, Bristol, Plymouth - "I can't read, I can't write, but I can drive a tractor"

I always thought that was reserved for our East Anglian friends from Norwich and Ipswich.

1 minute ago, MickyD said:

I always thought that was reserved for our East Anglian friends from Norwich and Ipswich.

I only saw one game against either of those in the 80s so you might be right but my memory is definitely of the west country teams.  We were too low down the pyramid to play the East Anglia clubs!