Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Good Omens

wakey

Wouldn’t put it past us, think the key is   The first three of those games especially Stevenage , if the belief is still there in that first game and we win then we will win all three, after that and we are in touch with the top two then I can see us going all the way to the Peterborough game .

1 hour ago, wakey said:

Right then, 7 big games left to determine our fate. Peterborough last game has memorable connotations, so thought I'd root through some crows entrails, slaughter a couple of heifers (and clutch a few straws) to see what the gods have in store for us.

Stevenage A

100% record against these boys from 3 games. Absolute piece of piss. We'll make it 4 wins, a pro-rata 133% win ratio, break mathematics forever and stay on the coat-tails of them fuckers above us. Verdict: Bolton win.

Reading H

Haven't beat these at home for a while, but then again even Sammy Lee managed a win so how fucking hard can it be. Our opponents in one of our most memorable moments of recent decades, they'll play their part in this one too. Verdict: Bolton win.

Bristol Rovers A

We owe these for the  shocking performance at home. We've won our last three at their place, and I reckon we weren't even trying in at least two of them. No way they're stopping us getting at least a win off them this season. Nailed on. Verdict: Bolton win.

Portsmouth H

Generally decent record at home v these. Beat them twice last season. They won't fancy coming to ours at the business end of the season when we've just spanked Stevenage, Reading and Brizzle. Nervy Pompey performance, imperious from our boys, comfortable win. Verdict: Bolton win.

Shrewsbury H

We've won 5 of our last 6 at home v these. They couldn't even beat us in the covid shortened disaster with onions in charge. They're wasting the coach fare even turning up. Verdict: Bolton win.

Port Vale H

They are shit against us, they can't help it. They've only ever won one league game at ours in 18 attempts, and only when we trying out a new comedy routine. Our aggregate home score is 48-15 and we gave them 6 of them. Absolute nailed on thrashing. Verdict: Bolton win.

Peterborough A

This is the biggie. The last (only) time we played them last game of the season, we needed a win to go up .We won. It's written in the stars this one. We've won the final game in each of the last three seasons. The last three times when it's really mattered, needing a win to go up or stay up, we've come up with the goods (Crawley, Forest, Peterborough). We'll do it again, it's written in the stars. Verdict: Bolton win.

We are relying on derby dropping points in 3 games, and that is if we win every game, can’t see them blowing this with a manager who’s got a great record of league one promotion… autos have gone. 

No bogey teams / matches left, that's a biggie. There's been plenty games recently where we just never get owt in recent times - Derby A, Blackpool A, Wigan (anywhere), before that Pompey A. We go into those matches expecting nowt.

None of the remaining games are that. Three or four of them are the opposite of bogey fixtures.

Go into this run with the right mindset, we could be six from six by the time we facr Peterborough.

4 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

We are relying on derby dropping points in 3 games, and that is if we win every game, can’t see them blowing this with a manager who’s got a great record of league one promotion… autos have gone. 

Agree it's a long shot, but potentially they only need to drop points in 2 games (at least one loss, maybe even 2 draws if we hand out a couple of spankings to claw back the GD).

1 hour ago, wakey said:

Agree it's a long shot, but potentially they only need to drop points in 2 games (at least one loss, maybe even 2 draws if we hand out a couple of spankings to claw back the GD).

The only hope is they get the jitters, just cannot see it at all. 

Well I'm up for at least making the top 2 sweat.

If we're 2 points adrift going into the last game, they'll be crapping themselves.  That's 6 games to make up 2 points on Derby and a few more on Pompey.

If we only make up a couple of points on Pompey in the next 2 games, they'll be dreading coming in and we'll be bang up for it, we just need to have them a bit worried.  Nothing to lose now (other than a grip on top 4).

Just win at Stevenage and take it from there.

• Site Supporter

Love this thread. This is what being a football fan is all about.

@L/H White You don’t invest the time, money and emotional energy into BWFC to accept that the top two is long gone, with 7 games to play 4 points to make up. 

Where’s the fun and passion in that? 

• Site Supporter
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Well I'm up for at least making the top 2 sweat.

If we're 2 points adrift going into the last game, they'll be crapping themselves.  That's 6 games to make up 2 points on Derby and a few more on Pompey.

If we only make up a couple of points on Pompey in the next 2 games, they'll be dreading coming in and we'll be bang up for it, we just need to have them a bit worried.  Nothing to lose now (other than a grip on top 4).

Just win at Stevenage and take it from there.

Bang up for it?

Don’t like the sound of that. That’s when we’re at our most fragile.

That’s when we’re bang average.

Edited by FrancisFogarty

Love the optimism of the opening post but can only have been fueled by alcohol or delusion!

Reality kicks in when we're bullied off the park by Stevenage but scramble in a late equaliser.  Talk on here turns to how we can win the last 6.

2 hours ago, captainmed said:

We wont win 6 from 7. 

We are currently miles off it and haven’t played consistently well now for months. 

Not a chance in hell. 

A good rest, hopefully Charles back and a shit or bust mentality you just never know mate.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, gonzo said:

A good rest, hopefully Charles back and a shit or bust mentality you just never know mate.

That's what's keeping me going

Hope that kills you and all that

Rest up 

Charles and Baxter back 

But I think Derby need to not win on Saturday 

And then an absolutely storming performance and win at Stevenage

If all those things happen....

Stevenage A

Draw - 75 pts

Reading H

Win - 78 pts

Bristol Rovers A

Win - 81 pts

Portsmouth H

Loss - 81 pts

Shrewsbury H

Win - 84 pts

Port Vale H

Win - 87 pts

Peterborough A

Loss - 87 pts

Playoffs at best going in dropping points in every big game to the teams around us and meagre semi-final defeat. 

28 minutes ago, Zico said:

That's what's keeping me going

Hope that kills you and all that

Rest up 

Charles and Baxter back 

But I think Derby need to not win on Saturday 

And then an absolutely storming performance and win at Stevenage

If all those things happen....

Ffs I’m starting to believe😂

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, meanderson93 said:

Stevenage A

Draw - 75 pts

Reading H

Win - 78 pts

Bristol Rovers A

Win - 81 pts

Portsmouth H

Loss - 81 pts

Shrewsbury H

Win - 84 pts

Port Vale H

Win - 87 pts

Peterborough A

Loss - 87 pts

Playoffs at best going in dropping points in every big game to the teams around us and meagre semi-final defeat. 

740029_Mystic_Meg_459b4a3486a4b8b869ded7

43 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Hope you’re right.

Can do without play-offs but beating Blackpool at Wembley would be nice.

😊 

8 hours ago, desperado said:

Love this thread. This is what being a football fan is all about.

@L/H White You don’t invest the time, money and emotional energy into BWFC to accept that the top two is long gone, with 7 games to play 4 points to make up. 

Where’s the fun and passion in that? 

I'm just a realist mate, far to many factors that have already been discussed doesn't suggest this is doable 

I'd be delighted if they proved me wrong 

Saturday was deflating and if we're being realists then the Top 2 definitely isn't off although we're finally at a point where other results elsewhere have to go our way. 

Derby have favourable fixtures (particularly the final 2) but their next 5 aren't straightforward. I've been really underwhelmed watching them this season but they really have that knack of sneaking a goal when they haven't played well (which is our undoing).

Until is mathematically impossible I'll cling on to that hope.

Having said that this will probably feel completely different again if they pick up a win on Saturday.

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, L/H White said:

I'm just a realist mate, far to many factors that have already been discussed doesn't suggest this is doable 

I'd be delighted if they proved me wrong 

If the only perspective we ever took was a realist one, how boring would that make football? 

Keeper Jimmy Glass scoring off a corner to stay in the league, Aguero’s last minute goal to win the premiership, Branagan’s penalty save to set up the comeback to win the play-offs.

None of them happen in the “real” world, none of them expected. All of them the reason we still turn up and pay our hard earned to chase that dream.