Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Good Omens

wakey

59 minutes ago, desperado said:

If the only perspective we ever took was a realist one, how boring would that make football? 

Keeper Jimmy Glass scoring off a corner to stay in the league, Aguero’s last minute goal to win the premiership, Branagan’s penalty save to set up the comeback to win the play-offs.

None of them happen in the “real” world, none of them expected. All of them the reason we still turn up and pay our hard earned to chase that dream.

Exactly this, to listen to some on here you’d think Derby are a brilliant team but they’re not as we found out on Saturday but they have scraped fairly fortunate wins, as against us and also their previous game against Reading courtesy of a dipstick ref. Their next 3 aren’t easy and if they come out of those with better than 7 points then I’ll concede it may be too late but even then whilst the last two might on paper look easy nerves kick in, as we’ve seen in the past. The crowd expectation increases and so does the pressure on the team as the clock ticks down. No way is it over yet and we can still do this. We need Northampton to get a result to set it up and if the tangerines have a good day they’re capable of beating anyone and also they need the points as much as Derby, so anything can still happen yet. We just need to stay positive and do our own jobs and if we do that we can get there.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, tomski said:

Ffs I’m starting to believe😂

yeah

where we are now reminds me of two previous scenarios both times facing relegation

01/02 - we have massive game against Derby at home, we lost 3-1, we had 8 games left after it, I stood there looking at their fans celebrating at the end like they;'d won a six pointer, I thought we'd blown it again in terms of staying up for the 3rd time, and we'd never stay up, but we got 10 points from the last 8 and Derby lost the next 7 in a row

07/08 - under megson, we went from looking comfortable in Feb, then lost 7 out of 8 (and drew 1) and were well adrift of Reading and Brum with 5 left, then got 11 from 15, whereas Reading and Brum only got 5

i'd basically given up in both of those scenarios 

so i should probably give up now

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Zico said:

yeah

where we are now reminds me of two previous scenarios both times facing relegation

01/02 - we have massive game against Derby at home, we lost 3-1, we had 8 games left after it, I stood there looking at their fans celebrating at the end like they;'d won a six pointer, I thought we'd blown it again in terms of staying up for the 3rd time, and we'd never stay up, but we got 10 points from the last 8 and Derby lost the next 7 in a row

07/08 - under megson, we went from looking comfortable in Feb, then lost 7 out of 8 (and drew 1) and were well adrift of Reading and Brum with 5 left, then got 11 from 15, whereas Reading and Brum only got 5

i'd basically given up in both of those scenarios 

so i should probably give up now

Cracking post 👏.

Mine was just hypothetical once in a lifetime dreams.

That’s some proper realistic evidence of BWFC having been in situations where our destiny looked doomed and our success targets looked unachievable, but we turned it round.

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, desperado said:

Cracking post 👏.

That’s some proper realistic evidence of BWFC having been in situations where our destiny looked doomed and our success targets looked unachievable, but we turned it round.

I'd add last match of the season win against Forest.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, desperado said:

Cracking post 👏.

yeah, it was looking at those last 5 games under Megson, I just couldn't see us doing it as 3 were away at Boro, Spurs and Chelsea, and we got 5 points from them

On 19/03/2024 at 18:07, wakey said:

Right then, 7 big games left to determine our fate. Peterborough last game has memorable connotations, so thought I'd root through some crows entrails, slaughter a couple of heifers (and clutch a few straws) to see what the gods have in store for us.

Stevenage A

100% record against these boys from 3 games. Absolute piece of piss. We'll make it 4 wins, a pro-rata 133% win ratio, break mathematics forever and stay on the coat-tails of them fuckers above us. Verdict: Bolton win.

Reading H

Haven't beat these at home for a while, but then again even Sammy Lee managed a win so how fucking hard can it be. Our opponents in one of our most memorable moments of recent decades, they'll play their part in this one too. Verdict: Bolton win.

Bristol Rovers A

We owe these for the  shocking performance at home. We've won our last three at their place, and I reckon we weren't even trying in at least two of them. No way they're stopping us getting at least a win off them this season. Nailed on. Verdict: Bolton win.

Portsmouth H

Generally decent record at home v these. Beat them twice last season. They won't fancy coming to ours at the business end of the season when we've just spanked Stevenage, Reading and Brizzle. Nervy Pompey performance, imperious from our boys, comfortable win. Verdict: Bolton win.

Shrewsbury H

We've won 5 of our last 6 at home v these. They couldn't even beat us in the covid shortened disaster with onions in charge. They're wasting the coach fare even turning up. Verdict: Bolton win.

Port Vale H

They are shit against us, they can't help it. They've only ever won one league game at ours in 18 attempts, and only when we trying out a new comedy routine. Our aggregate home score is 48-15 and we gave them 6 of them. Absolute nailed on thrashing. Verdict: Bolton win.

Peterborough A

This is the biggie. The last (only) time we played them last game of the season, we needed a win to go up .We won. It's written in the stars this one. We've won the final game in each of the last three seasons. The last three times when it's really mattered, needing a win to go up or stay up, we've come up with the goods (Crawley, Forest, Peterborough). We'll do it again, it's written in the stars. Verdict: Bolton win.

I’ve had a few… someone remind me who we played last game of the season when we were promoted from this league?

Great result for us today, only 4pts behind Derby and Mendez Laing for them is now injured.

Derby have to play Blackpool then Portsmouth back-to-back.

Portsmouth still have to play Derby, us away and Barnsley at home.

4 home games out of the 7 total remaining. Still time for redemption. Be a few more twists and turns left. 5 wins puts us on 89 points.

Need a winning run now, have to believe it's possible. Praying the lads can pick themselves up and prove the doubters wrong. If we get promoted this season and England win the Euros, could be the best summer you'll have for a while!

• Moderators

Best result we could have hoped for today

But as far as this season goes I hate games in hand

Anyway

I'd rather have our next two or three fixtures then derbys so hopefully we complete those we find ourselves ahead or in a position to overtake them 

• Members
On 20/03/2024 at 05:18, L/H White said:

top twos long gone, weeks ago that ship sailed 

we need to nail 3rd down now

This bloke also predicted that Liverpool would win a quadruple.

Nice lad but take his predictions with the Dead Sea.

1 hour ago, bolty58 said:

This bloke also predicted that Liverpool would win a quadruple.

Nice lad but take his predictions with the Dead Sea.

Still stand by we won't get top 2

Before a ball was kicked I had us for playoffs 

56 minutes ago, L/H White said:

Still stand by we won't get top 2

Before a ball was kicked I had us for playoffs 

And you may well still be on the money White, that 4 point cushion plus better goal difference is still a big lead to overcome. It may of course not be Derby who get third the way Posh are doing as they might pinch it if we slip up. With Derbys injury and suspension situation they could well struggle but there’s still Posh and the Tykes to worry about as well. We can do this but we’re going to have to be a lot sharper than we’ve been recently. Unlike you though I’m confident we will. 🙂

The thing that has given me a renewed sense of optimism is the fact that previous games in hand were generally difficult and so were never likely to equal 3 points per game in hand - our game in hand on Derby now is Shrewsbury at home, which if we’re being completely honest is as close to a banker as you’re ever going to get.

Realistically (and accepting we could very well get 1 or 0 points) we should now only be 1 point behind Derby with 6 other games to play. In those 6 we’ve both got 3 relatively easy games and 3 that appear tougher and so a 1 point swing could very easily happen.

Add in that they have an older squad that has form in running out of steam and are piling up with important injuries / bans and I have some confidence back that we can do it. Bookies have us pretty much equal with them as well.

3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

At home to pompey. Not lost to a top team here.

A decent record at Peterborough too.

The hope for last game of season is that maybe they won't have a chance of 2nd, and will be preparing for play offs.

If we can beat Stevenage, our 2nd toughest away game on paper, its all about winning the following 5 to set it up for last day.