Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

You Tube Bolton Stuff

superjohnmcginlay

48 minutes ago, gonzo said:

How many did every Wrexham game?

Or was it Swindon :D

I did all 4 Swindon games, the first game at Swindon, our driver got a bit confused & drove straight through the magic roundabout.

Loads of Bolton at both away games but by the end we were running out of players, i think Mark Came played up front.......& IIRC Cowdrill had a good goal disallowed in one of the drawn home games !!

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, bolton va va said:

I did all 4 Swindon games, the first game at Swindon, our driver got a bit confused & drove straight through the magic roundabout.

Loads of Bolton at both away games but by the end we were running out of players, i think Mark Came played up front.......& IIRC Cowdrill had a good goal disallowed in one of the drawn home games !!

You're right about the goal, I'd long forgotten about it, but you've jogged my memory. Pretty sure he chested a clearance and volleyed it into the back of the net. Given offside I think against someone else completely not interfering. 

Would definitely stand today. 

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

You're right about the goal, I'd long forgotten about it, but you've jogged my memory. Pretty sure he chested a clearance and volleyed it into the back of the net. Given offside I think against someone else completely not interfering. 

Would definitely stand today. 

4.37 in this clip.  Outrageous it didn't count. Even then!

7 hours ago, DazBob said:

Think it was Steve Morrow (?) who broke his arm.  Nearly lost it too IIRC it was that bad of a break.

I know his brother Tom

Ronan Keating sang a song speculating about his ability to ejaculate.

Edited by Traf

On 21/11/2023 at 15:21, Duck Egg said:

4.37 in this clip.  Outrageous it didn't count. Even then!

Thanks for posting that, absolutely tremendous memories.  Watching these games and the Coventry one's, how good was Philliskirk?  Real quality, with both feet and could strike from distance in his sleep.  In fact one thing that stood out from those games was how good we were at shooting from distance in them days, its a skill that's been in short supply for years.

15 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Thanks for posting that, absolutely tremendous memories.  Watching these games and the Coventry one's, how good was Philliskirk?  Real quality, with both feet and could strike from distance in his sleep.  In fact one thing that stood out from those games was how good we were at shooting from distance in them days, its a skill that's been in short supply for years.

I think that was especially true for that team. We had Steve Thomson & Tony Philliskirk fighting to take free kicks from anywhere under 30 yards out. Scott green who wallopped in loads from range as did Julian Darby with his daisy cutters. 

On a side note the Bolton fans always turn on their own and what they did to Julian Darby was disgusting. 

3 minutes ago, Krimzon said:

I think that was especially true for that team. We had Steve Thomson & Tony Philliskirk fighting to take free kicks from anywhere under 30 yards out. Scott green who wallopped in loads from range as did Julian Darby with his daisy cutters. 

On a side note the Bolton fans always turn on their own and what they did to Julian Darby was disgusting. 

I never understood that, he was a good player, gave 100%, scored goals, never caused a minute of bother or poor attitude, no ego or prima donna in him.  God knows what the same fans would have made of someone like Keith Andrews.  

And yes that team could shoot - add Browny to that considering he was a full back, not to mention Winstanley's 40 yarder v Wrexham!  I find it a little odd that so many modern day players with all their extra fitness, strength and technique don't seem capable of striking a ball cleanly if its not within about 15 yards of goal. 

16 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I never understood that, he was a good player, gave 100%, scored goals, never caused a minute of bother or poor attitude, no ego or prima donna in him.  God knows what the same fans would have made of someone like Keith Andrews.  

And yes that team could shoot - add Browny to that considering he was a full back, not to mention Winstanley's 40 yarder v Wrexham!  I find it a little odd that so many modern day players with all their extra fitness, strength and technique don't seem capable of striking a ball cleanly if its not within about 15 yards of goal. 

The Julian darby thing was very strange , never put a foot wrong for me and me and Dave Higson loved him .  I think its testament to players that got dogs abuse, are still involved in the club in some way , Jimmy Phillips, Tony Kelly , Phil Brown, Julian Darby .

Also one to add to your long range worldys ... Barry Cowdrill. i was gutted when we failed to sign Martin Pike for the sake of 5 grand , would have saved us signing Paul comstive RIP

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Brilliant that.

He wasn't the best overall though.

No he wasn't the best, but another that scored a few, I remember being behind the goal at Watford (a division above us) when he scored the decisive goal.  And in those highlights v Swindon, great goal at their place and cross for Philliskirk to score one (or was that v Coventry?).  Had a good left peg, but like Holdsworth his most famous incident for us was missing from close range in a Wembley defeat.