Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Tim Ream

dirty barsteward

• Site Supporter

So to sum up, we're investing a lot of time and effort in not getting a player in to replace Cahill?

i think so.

usa played 17 games in 2011 and 14 in 2010

from my calcs he had to play in 24 of those 31 games.

but he is young, 24 in the states IS like our 21. he is still seen as a rookie, not sure if the uk home office will see it like that though.

Edited by HomerJay

the rules are simple

for non eu passport holders. you need

to play for a country in the top 75 of the rankings and have played in 75% of their recent internationals

otherwise, there needs to be 'special circumstances'

special circumstances can be that youre the best player in the world, but born in bongobongo land

had a broken leg for 2 years

be wanted by liverpool

True

I think the initial decision is almost always based on a strict interpretation of the rules, i.e. NO, but on appeal the special circumstances will be properly considered.

On the age aspect it might be argued that USA players traditionally turn professional on leaving college at 22, rather than on reaching 18 as is normal in Europe.

But there are exceptions - Brad Friedel left college with 1 year to go before graduating (he may return to complete his course soonish!), but it took him 5 years to get in, with failed applications from Notts Forest, Newcastle and Sunderland. By the time Liverpool signed him he actually met the criteria (I think) but was very much second string. Souness signed him for B'burn having managed him previously at Galatasaray.

The point can nowadays be made that USA is a high ranking team(!!) and being around the squad demonstrates a certain standard, but I wouldn't take it as a given the clearance will be got pdq.

Guest Frandsen08

special circumstances will be met by the fact that we view him as playing quite a few games considering the amount of money we are going to be paying for him, he'll be reet, be a white before next thurs

Guest Frandsen08

special circumstances will be met by the fact that we view him as playing quite a few games considering the amount of money we are going to be paying for him, he'll be reet, be a white before next thurs

• 9 years later...
  • Site Supporter

This from a group of supporters who referred to one of our Downs supporters as Spazzy Darren or M0ng Boy. 

Sorry but many on here can't judge. 

I'm not for a minute condoning the actions of a few kids but merely pointing out the hypocrisy 

5 minutes ago, MickyD said:

This from a group of supporters who referred to one of our Downs supporters as Spazzy Darren or M0ng Boy. 

I'm not for a minute condoning the actions of a few kids but merely pointing out the hypocrisy 

I never remember those words used everyone I knew just called him Darren. Maybe my memory playing tricks but the lever end lads never showed anything but love & respect for him. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

6 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Spazzy Darren was a nickname made in the 1980s when folk didnt know any better.

Hardly the same.

Never heard a single person call him M0ng boy either.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Spazzy Darren was a nickname made in the 1980s when folk didnt know any better.

Hardly the same.

Never heard a single person call him M0ng boy either.

Absolutely. As much as anything it's a term of endearment, out dated maybe, but no one uses it as a term of abuse.

Wonder how many from here have been abusing this kid online? None perhaps?

Way off there micky, context is everything