Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

How Did You Become A Wanderer?

Didledee

If like me you come from another planet, mine being planet Didle, a separate realm outside Ydddrasil, how did you become a Bolton fan?

I joke with the above sentence, I was born in an hospital in Bolton and well it was my dad who introduced me to them, most of mates who I used play on footy, Kurby and BMX with were the same, though Warrington was a United fan and Baz was a Sheff.Wed fan and when we used go to youth club we had to wear Sheff Wed colours 'cos the coach was Baz's older brother, he used have so many medals and trophies in his room that it inspired me to play for clubs etc, I was told too stay out of his way though because he let us watch Chubby Brown and I got caught single Alice, who the fuck is Alice.

I had 'pass me downs' from my older cousins and they were Liverpool kits, but they were Bolton fans, that's when I started liking collecting other teams kits, but I've stopped now, though I do get Barca's and Inter's.

If you weren't born in Bolton, have no association with the town, what made you choose Bolton? I don't care if people support a different team to their home town, if you're a Manchester White, a London White, an over-seas white, it doesn't matter to me, things happen in society and people grow up differently and I guess that's how you get your supported club.

I can't remember the first time I decided I was a Bolton fan, think it just happened, as much as I love watching Barcelona, I don't feel the same way as I do when I see Bolton, if I could have chosen my team in hindsight, I doubt I'd have changed it, but maybe if I had a different upbringing, different friends, maybe a different dad I may have a different team now. If my dad supported say City for example, that one choice could have changed my life.

My dad supported City. I always followed the Whites though, and Swanny and I convinced him to get a Wanderers season ticket, starting in the 96-97 season. My dad's a Bolton fan now.

To be fair, he only picked City as his two older brothers supported United. He was born and raised in Walkden, so his choice wasn't that odd.

My Grandad, dad, brothers, sisters, brother-in-laws, nephews and nieces are all Bolton mad, thats 18 in our family. Its law, the topic of conversation whenever we all meet is Bolton Wanderers. I became a Wanderers fan when i was born and my bedtime stories were about us doing away fans on Manny Road, that used to get me to sleep with a big smile on my face.

Edited by Breightmet Boy

i didnt have a choice.

im born and bread blackpool,but my mum and dad are both from bolton and moved to blackpool before they met.

both left big families in bolton.

from the age of 4 i was dragged to every ground in the country watching the whites,and caught the bug straight away.

in the first couple of years it was division 3 shite week in week out,but then 1993 came and the rest is history.

i used be in school the day after going to say goodsion with thousands of whites watching pandamonium break out around me as owen coyle slots the winner,thinking none of you fuckers have a clue about what football is all about,prancing round in your munich and liverpool tops.

thanks to my dad as a kid,i had some fucking amazing times,and i suppose,my bolton upbringing couldnt of hit a better time!

there was certainly no other kid in my class that got dragged off the pitch at hull by his dad!....

so in all....i either joined the masses at school,put a liverpool top on and watched wrestling on itv on a saturday afternoon?

or i went to rotherham away with my dad?....simples really. (think we drew 2-2 with cunnigham scoring that day by the way ;) )

• Site Supporter

If like me you come from another planet, mine being planet Didle, a separate realm outside Ydddrasil, how did you become a Bolton fan?

I joke with the above sentence, I was born in an hospital in Bolton and well it was my dad who introduced me to them, most of mates who I used play on footy, Kurby and BMX with were the same, though Warrington was a United fan and Baz was a Sheff.Wed fan and when we used go to youth club we had to wear Sheff Wed colours 'cos the coach was Baz's older brother, he used have so many medals and trophies in his room that it inspired me to play for clubs etc, I was told too stay out of his way though because he let us watch Chubby Brown and I got caught single Alice, who the fuck is Alice.

I had 'pass me downs' from my older cousins and they were Liverpool kits, but they were Bolton fans, that's when I started liking collecting other teams kits, but I've stopped now, though I do get Barca's and Inter's.

If you weren't born in Bolton, have no association with the town, what made you choose Bolton? I don't care if people support a different team to their home town, if you're a Manchester White, a London White, an over-seas white, it doesn't matter to me, things happen in society and people grow up differently and I guess that's how you get your supported club.

I can't remember the first time I decided I was a Bolton fan, think it just happened, as much as I love watching Barcelona, I don't feel the same way as I do when I see Bolton, if I could have chosen my team in hindsight, I doubt I'd have changed it, but maybe if I had a different upbringing, different friends, maybe a different dad I may have a different team now. If my dad supported say City for example, that one choice could have changed my life.

You know the film "seven" with brad Pitt and Kevin spacey?

When they find his diaries in his apartment, that's what your post reminds me of.

When my mum and dad started courting (to use the vernacular of the time) late 60s early 70s my grandad made my dad (who's from a family of reds) join him down burnden, my dad was hooked.

Dad took me to Bolton v southampton in the cup in 92 I've rarely missed a home game since.

My little un will have no choice when he arrives.

• Members

Last game in the old First Division with my Dad. Stood on th'Embankment with grown men openly weeping as we crumbled. Scarred for life but anything which could cause such an emotional outburst had to be meaningful and was, therefore, for me.

I remember saying to my father "I thought you said this would be fun?"

Soul branded with "BWFC' since that day.

• Moderators

My father brought me up to be an RMI fan. I think he was a little disappointed when I was taken in by the glamour of a nearby big town team.

Same here, dad & grandad who worked there, though my dad did Bolton in the 50s

Will never forget the GMAC cup glory though never understood why we got to play both the semi and final at our ground

Then they went and fucked off to wigan

The old man took us to Anfield once and I hated it

Got me and my bro a ticket for the Southampton home tie thinking it'd be utd and loved it

Mithered him to take us the next home game, think it was brentford and we lost 1-0, still loved it, never looked back

Though was a bit gutted when Leigh RMI got to the conference around 98 i think. as I'd have been all over a season watching Horwich away in that league

My dad took me n my sister to a friendly, bolton vs liverpool at burnden park, a young robbie fowler was just breakin onto the scene, we tonked em 4-1 i believe!

made David James cry that match

Bolton singing "Bruce" for Rioch

he thought we were singing for Grobellar

Father is from Farnworth Mother is from L/H.

All my friends, school friends, family etc are scum fans except my dad. He never missed a game Home or Away.

He took me Burnden as a nipper, so I've been since. He used to take me a lot until he moved to London. Suppose it would of been easy to become a scum fan as I was surrounded by em, but I just loved BWFC.

So kinda just went on my own when I was old enough.

Bolton til I die.

• Moderators

think i was 5 or 6 when i started watching the results on the teleprinter

i think one day united had won and i said 'yessssss'

it was then my dad realised he had a duty to perform and he came back from a 10 year exile in time for me to see the last two games of 72/3

nearest i came to sacking it all off was about 87 when i had plans to go watching radcliffe boro at caernarvon in a table topper

mate decided not to go, so off to burnden to watch us play leicester

we won 3-1 and that was that

i'm now my dad and go cos my kids want to

Guest Frandsen08

4 year old dad took me to a pre-season friendly and i loved it, he told me this would be my team, i was confused when my grandad took me to burnden park from then on whilst my dad swanned off to Goodison Park!

• Site Supporter

My old man used to take me in the late 70's to watch the reserves then 1st team afterwards so got a double dose of disappointment. Got my first season ticket at the tender age of 6 in 1980/81, also got taken to my first away game, Notts County on the opening day and yes we lost that too. No matter how much the whites piss me off at times, I'm a wanderer for life

Moved around a bit as a kid with my dads job and never saw much live football.

Arrived in Bolton when I was 16 and started watching the Whites with friends from school - I think my first game at Burnden was the 2-2 v Aldershot that saw us relegated to the old Div 4.