Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Blackpool 1 Wanderers 1

burnden

We was talking about all these games outside Scotts last Fri. They must come up in conversation every few games and never gets boring.

As for Frankies goal against Blackburn, for me it is by far the greatest goal I have ever witnessed , not only for the skill involved but for what it meant for the whole town.

The promotion game at ewood park, great memories, everybody invaded the pitch at the final whistle, frankie worthy , ian greaves and the rest of the men in red (red umbro shirts that day) took applause from the directors box.

I seem to recall the police confiscating bovver boots at the turnstiles (or am i getting confused). My platform shoes passed the 'bovver test'

Other massive away followings, newcastle in the fa cup at elland road, bramhall lane when we beat them by 5 at christmas (wanderers in all sections apart from the kop).

We took some big followings when we were struggling too, barnsley in the fa cup and all bloomfield road fixtures in the 70's were packed .

I seem to recall blackpool on a boxing day or 27th , getting a train from trinity street, 100's of wanderers fans packed in the booking hall and some bloke in a fancy dress gorilla suit dancing around to the totally un-pc "gorilla gorilla" chant. Sure we won too. Ahh the days of train travel when it didn't really matter when you booked yer ticket, all prices were fixed price the same

I seem to recall the police confiscating bovver boots at the turnstiles (or am i getting confused). My platform shoes passed the 'bovver test'

We all had to take our boots off one year at Luton - when it was still an open end - & we were directed to a small nearby shop where they were selling highly overpriced pumps. Most chose to stand in just socks...I don't think it was mid winter !

• Moderators

Edit, scum had to play away for two games because a fan chucked a knife from the stretford end against Newcastle on the pitch.

really?

just before my time - where did they play em

i remember em playing saint ettienne in plymouth