Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

18 minutes ago, Zico said:

I'm convinced an aging cobbled squad with no pre season won't go all the way 

I'd just rather play them over one leg than two

Twice this season they’ve started better and gone ahead with very good midfield and we’ve beaten them, coz they ain’t Modric,

Dont lose to Barnsley and we’re on crest of a wave. 

Results pretty much as expected. At least Wycombe didn't make huge inroads into our GD advantage but we'll have to see where we are after Ipswich and Wednesday. It's going to be tight for the final playoff place but at least Wycombe have to play Barnsley at home and Ipswich away in their otherwise "easy on paper" run in but even so I can see them amassing a further 24 points at least so we need to be thinking about how we'll get to 82 or 83 just to secure 6th spot.

Basically we need to stop dropping points starting on Saturday. We can expect some unusual results as we're entering the silly season so let's hope it's not us that f***s up. A massive and sustained improvement in our performances will do it. Over to you Mr Evatt.....

Barnsley looking good,brushing aside Pompey with ease. Norwood is putting in the kind of striker performances that I'm hoping Evatt will get out of Victor or Dan...

Wycombe not so impressive though..

Edited by Wanderlust

• Members
8 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

News stations showed footage of folk jibbing in, and posts on social media (copied on here) of folk who had got in supposedly without tickets.

Whilst it may not have been commonplace, evidence was provided of fans' wrongdoing.

Just like it was provided of poor policing and management generally. 

Blame lies in all areas.

Stop it now. It's never their fault.

7 hours ago, green genie said:

Twice this season they’ve started better and gone ahead with very good midfield and we’ve beaten them, coz they ain’t Modric,

Dont lose to Barnsley and we’re on crest of a wave. 

That was a big win for you, Derby have gone a bit flat but I wouldn’t rule them out in the play offs (if they get there)!

16 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

That was a big win for you, Derby have gone a bit flat but I wouldn’t rule them out in the play offs (if they get there)!

The ability to come back from bad “run” to get six points this week should be the difference. Hopefully a draw at Barnsley will give us enough space over them leaving Ipswich to worry about with their horrendous run in

1 hour ago, Farrelli said:

Derby are the worst of all around. We rolled over twice for them. 

Just now, tomski said:

Derby are the worst of all around. We rolled over twice for them. 

Seems we do that a lot against top six teams. I wouldn’t say we rolled over at home just didn’t take any of the few chances that came our way, same applies to Derby.

4 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Seems we do that a lot against top six teams. I wouldn’t say we rolled over at home just didn’t take any of the few chances that came our way, same applies to Derby.

Agree. At home we paid far to much to much respect to em. Pisses me off that no one else lives by our standards .

• Site Supporter

Warne knows exactly what he’s getting from Evatt teams and is good at combating it. I would fancy us to run his old men ragged though on a hot Wembley pitch.

We basically just need to keep ahead of Wycombe. If any of the others outside current top 6 catch us, we don’t deserve the play offs

16 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Warne knows exactly what he’s getting from Evatt teams and is good at combating it. I would fancy us to run his old men ragged though on a hot Wembley pitch.

We basically just need to keep ahead of Wycombe. If any of the others outside current top 6 catch us, we don’t deserve the play offs

For sure, for me it would be a major cock up  and disappointment if we was not to finish in the top 6 

yes we have a few hard games coming up but we also have some very favourable fixtures

I obviously kept an eye out for results last night but until we start needing other results to go our way then we've got to focus on our games alone.

There'll be plenty of shocks and unexpected results at the top, other teams have got lots of games in a short space of time and lots of teams playing each other.

Not bothered where we finish as long as it's 3rd-6th. 

I can see us being 3 points behind Wycombe after the cup final on same games.

The way we have been playing recently I am not convinced we can raise our game even against the easier games.

We just don’t know what to do against teams that press high against us and they will all be doing that. Morecambe was awful and Port Vale we were lucky 

5 hours ago, BeeversLeftPeg said:

I obviously kept an eye out for results last night but until we start needing other results to go our way then we've got to focus on our games alone.

There'll be plenty of shocks and unexpected results at the top, other teams have got lots of games in a short space of time and lots of teams playing each other.

Not bothered where we finish as long as it's 3rd-6th. 

If we do make it into the playoffs it will be 6th and likely to be facing Ipswich Plymouth or Barnsley 

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

If we do make it into the playoffs it will be 6th and likely to be facing Ipswich Plymouth or Barnsley 

whos finishing second?

certainlty not derby

• Site Supporter
38 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

The way we have been playing recently I am not convinced we can raise our game even against the easier games.

We just don’t know what to do against teams that press high against us and they will all be doing that. Morecambe was awful and Port Vale we were lucky 

We had 2 consecutive 5-0 victories less than a month ago.

40 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Whatever happens if we get in the playoffs we'll have to play someone half decent (in the final too if we get that far). No point in worrying about all these permutations at the minute. If we fall out the top 6 then we start looking at other results. 

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, BeeversLeftPeg said:

Not bothered where we finish as long as it's 1st -6th

Edited for you 🤣.

Im going to come out and say the most crazily positive thing no one else has mentioned….. Until these next 2 games have been played 1st/2nd is not a write off.. 😂

I know this makes me sound positively deluded. As the realistic, expected, and achievable outcome is play-offs.

But as fans you don’t go to football to expect the expected. Part of the excitement is the dream, the lofty ambition to do the impossible.

As unlikely as it is, if we beat Ipswich then Sheffield Wednesday - those 2 teams and in particular their fans will start to get nagging doubts. I know a Sheff Wed fan and they cant believe this is going to be a smooth path to promotion - they’ve failed on too many occasions.

With a break to come and a Wembley appearance next up - there’d be one hell of a feel good factor for the run-in.

This isn’t about expected points, goals, predicted league tables, games in hand, realistic projections etc etc - of course that would dispel my view completely!

This is a dreamland scenario, but that’s why we do it isn’t it?

Win Saturday and ill be well up for the Hillsborough trip!!

24 minutes ago, desperado said:

Edited for you 🤣.

Im going to come out and say the most crazily positive thing no one else has mentioned….. Until these next 2 games have been played 1st/2nd is not a write off.. 😂

I know this makes me sound positively deluded. As the realistic, expected, and achievable outcome is play-offs.

But as fans you don’t go to football to expect the expected. Part of the excitement is the dream, the lofty ambition to do the impossible.

As unlikely as it is, if we beat Ipswich then Sheffield Wednesday - those 2 teams and in particular their fans will start to get nagging doubts. I know a Sheff Wed fan and they cant believe this is going to be a smooth path to promotion - they’ve failed on too many occasions.

With a break to come and a Wembley appearance next up - there’d be one hell of a feel good factor for the run-in.

This isn’t about expected points, goals, predicted league tables, games in hand, realistic projections etc etc - of course that would dispel my view completely!

This is a dreamland scenario, but that’s why we do it isn’t it?

Win Saturday and ill be well up for the Hillsborough trip!!

That's the spirit, C.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

We've beaten sides that press us and we've beaten sides that sit in. Not always pretty, but such is football. You've watched enough games to know, irrespective of league, that sometimes a narrow win in a scrappy game is quite often an achievement. 

I'll take them any day.

16 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

We've beaten sides that press us and we've beaten sides that sit in. 

Exaclty. Our struggles earlier in the season was breaking down shithouse bus parkers.

Our downfall this season, if you can it one, will be the inability to mix it with the top 6. If you cant beat those around you, you've had it.

Its all still progress though and Im happy as larry with this season. Most would've snapped your hand off for a play off spot this season. 

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

We've beaten sides that press us and we've beaten sides that sit in. Not always pretty, but such is football. You've watched enough games to know, irrespective of league, that sometimes a narrow win in a scrappy game is quite often an achievement. 

I'll take them any day.

We fuck about too much at the back which is obviously not working. Wycombe we should have at least drawn and Morecambe we should have won comfortably- we only get half a game with all this passing around the goalie and it’s not working