Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

It goes to show how less competive the league is now, there was a report recently highlighting this recently, the champs league money has skewd football big time and not for the better. 

suppose it depends on how you look at it, Liverpool might be running away with it this season, but last season was as competitive a title race as we've seen (well that I can recall bar the Liverpool Arsenal one that was decided in the last minute of the season)

you've got arguably several times, fighting over a CL spot or two, the same for the EL spot

six or 7 that could go down

but I'd like to see the report though if you have a link

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

suppose it depends on how you look at it, Liverpool might be running away with it this season, but last season was as competitive a title race as we've seen (well that I can recall bar the Liverpool Arsenal one that was decided in the last minute of the season)

you've got arguably several times, fighting over a CL spot or two, the same for the EL spot

& the Aguerooooooooo season. 

26 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

Aye. We're about to have the 5th different title winners in the last 10 years.  That's more than in any other decade in my lifetime. 

Liverpool running away with it is testament to how good they are, not how weak anyone else may be.  They've had a truly remarkable season.

1 hour ago, ZicoKelly said:

https://dashee87.github.io/data science/football/Europes-Top-Football-Leagues-Getting-Less-Competitive/

• Moderators
2 hours ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

& the Aguerooooooooo season. 

Yeah i try to forget that day for various reasons

Whilst that and the 89 one went to the wire I'd say last season was the most competitive because once city got ahead they weren't letting go and had to win their last 14 in a row to clinch it

Edited by ZicoKelly

• Site Supporter
30 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

Yeah i try to forget that day for various reasons

Whilst that and the 89 one went to the wire I'd say last season was the most competitive because once city got ahead they weren't letting go and had to win their last 14 in a row to clinch it

Without a doubt... for 2 teams to keep winning for so long under that pressure was remarkable. 

• Members
15 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

Aye. We're about to have the 5th different title winners in the last 10 years.  That's more than in any other decade in my lifetime. 

Liverpool running away with it is testament to how good they are, not how weak anyone else may be.  They've had a truly remarkable season.

Still say if Laporte had stayed fit, it would be a lot closer. Still believe Liverpool would have won it though.

If they're as good as G/H (glory hunter) White reckons they are, we will eneter a period of domination. I do not believe that this will happen.

5 minutes ago, Alf Hartigan said:

No why?

Well for one he was the mainstay of their title winning defence last season, outshining even Kompany on the rare occasion he played for City.

There there's the curious case of his omission from the French side by Deschamps. There has long been rumours of some sort of personal fallout that stops him being called up.

He's a wonderful centre back and a fantastic footballer. If he's good enough for Guardiola then doesn't that tell you all you need to know?

Edited by Kane57

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Kane57 said:

Well for one he was the mainstay of their title winning defence last season, outshining even Kompany on the rare occasion he played for City.

There there's the curious case of his omission from the French side by Deschamps. There has long been rumours of some sort of personal fallout that stops him being called up.

He's a wonderful centre back and a fantastic footballer.

We agree then, he's a decent player, just one player though.